Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rare or fake?!

Good day all!

I wanted to run a few coins I found past yous... This most recent is most intriguing because I can't find any other examples of it, error or otherwise.... I wish I was able to get better pictures, but I don't have my lens with me right now...

This is a completely silver 2010 new dollar coin... Normal wear marks, but otherwise exactly like it's copper/gold brothers... This is completely silver in color... weights 8 grams... sounds like no other coin I've seen when gently dropped on the solid table...

This other is more common, but I was wondering your thoughts on it... I pulled it from circulation this morning... 2018-P Michigan Pictured Rocks quarter...

Thanks all!!!

Comments

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Another new account to post these things on? -_-

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• New account? This is the only one I have... I recently got my grandfathers coin collection and have been hooked every since... I have posted pictures of one of my Indian Head Cents earlier... It has a filled "A" on the end of AMERICA.... Curious about that cent is what brought me here... I found this quarter in a bag hunt of $1000... I think it is super neat, but probably not worth much... The dollar is a co-workers pulled from the change machine here at work... I found a 2003-P Sacagawea Proof from that machine earlier in the week... Crazy!!!

Thoughts!?

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quarter looks like a lamination error, the dollar looks like it got painted

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • I didn't see any paint, or residue of paint... Do you mean it was painted and then had the paint stripped off, taking the gold color with it? How heavy is that gold layer?!

Thanks for all the thoughts!!!

Cheers!!!

• Oh, I actually have one of the odd finds in a roll hunt so far... It was also my best box hunt to date... I pulled 54 coins of various conditions... Proofs, NIFC's, this Statue of Liberty commemorative half, and three silver proofs (one 1999, and two 2006's).... I had to look this one up... I didn't know it even existed until I pulled it from the roll...

Cheers!!!

• @mannie gray said:
    The quarter looks like a decent strike through.
    Great placement on the error too.
    Nice.

Thanks!! I apologize for my ignorance here... Strike trough is where lamination from another coin is stuck on the die and thus stamped into following coins until the lamination piece falls off?! I found a good source for the variations of errors, but I can't locate that source again... I need to bookmark it when I do find it again...

Isn't it though!?!? Amazing!! I usually don't get too crazy excited with errors... This one stopped me in my tracks... My better half thought it was just a damaged coin... We have seen our share of those recently while hunting...

Thanks for your thoughts!!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Familycoins said:
    Oh, I actually have one of the odd finds in a roll hunt so far... It was also my best box hunt to date... I pulled 54 coins of various conditions... Proofs, NIFC's, this Statue of Liberty commemorative half, and three silver proofs (one 1999, and two 2006's).... I had to look this one up... I didn't know it even existed until I pulled it from the roll...

Cheers!!!

That's quite an interesting roll find.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does your silver Buchanan have a reeded edge? If so, and you see no evidence of copper/clad layers, I'd send it in under the error program. Don't clean it! If it comes back on a wrong planchet you have a real find. Even if not, it's an interesting oddity.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:
    Quarter looks like a lamination error, the dollar looks like it got painted

Steve

Looks more like a struck through rather than a lamination. On the other coin, I think you mean plated rather than painted.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• @abcde12345 said:
    Does your silver Buchanan have a reeded edge? If so, and you see no evidence of copper/clad layers, I'd send it in under the error program. Don't clean it! If it comes back on a wrong planchet you have a real find. Even if not, it's an interesting oddity.

Good day!!

Thanks for the input on the mystery dollar... I just weighed a normal Sacagawea and it is at 7.88, so the plating might be the deciding factor... Plated silver? Nickel? It looks so perfect though... It has the mint and year identification information on the rim... All completely silver... Less than cameo, but more than normal clad silver...

Thanks again for the help!!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike thru is where a piece of foreign matter was present during the strike on the obverse. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2018 6:45AM

@Familycoins said:
    I didn't see any paint, or residue of paint... Do you mean it was painted and then had the paint stripped off, taking the gold color with it? How heavy is that gold layer?!

Thanks for all the thoughts!!!

Cheers!!!

It's probably plated. You can find these with all kinds of plating: silver, gold, platinum. I dump them in coinstar machines all the time because the is no premium for them.

An impaired proof Susan B is the same animal: kind of unusual, but not really worth more than face value

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting to note what gets into half dollar rolls these days. I have heard of "not made for circulation date Kennedy have dollars" showing up it these rolls. At one time someone paid more than face value for these coins, and yet now they are being turned into banks at face value.

The same applies to the Statue of Liberty half dollar you found. The coin appears to be a Proof with a scratch on the sun. As such it's not going to sell for much because a nice one has a wholesale value of $3 or less. Perhaps someone tried to sell it and couldn't get an offer, or they didn't know what it really was and just dropped it into "circulation."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2018-P Quarter looks like a struck through something coin. It looks to be a fragment of metal from some machine part that broke or shattered during the striking process.

Note the curvature on the left. The piece was probably round before it shattered.

As far as the Dollar goes, get a regular Presidential Dollar and drop it. Note the sound. Then drop the Buchanan.

Let your ears decide. If they sound different, further investigation is needed.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarter is a 'struck through'....happens when debris of some sort gets into the striking process....the dollar looks plated... happens all the time. If you check the weight it will tell the story...If it were struck on a silver planchet, that would be an amazing find. Cheers, RickO

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice struck thru error

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2018 6:25AM

Nice struckthru on the quarter.

Others have said other threads that when silver was high a lot of Statue of Liberty sets were broken up and the clad proofs just dumped into circulation. Interesting find, but no real value as a perfect one is cheap enough.

The dollar coin as others have said is privately plated. (What else could it be?) I doubt there were any SBA planchets lurking around and if there were, you'd see the clad layers at the edge.

P.S. - in the future, especially with error coins, it is best to show both sides as that can help with the assessment. I assume your quarter has a normal, undamaged reverse, which validates the struckthru diagnosis.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your dollar is plated.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

to the boards!

• Good day all!! Thanks so much for all the replies!!

@Namvet69 said:
    Strike thru is where a piece of foreign matter was present during the strike on the obverse. Peace Roy

Ahhhhhh, right... I can recall that from my research now... Constantly learning... Thanks!!

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's probably played. You can find these with all kinds of padding: silver, gold, platinum. I dunno them in coinstar machines all the time because the us no premium for them.

An impaired proof Susan B is the same animal: kind of unusual, but not really worth more than face value

Probably... I would love to find out it is on the wrong planchet, but the winning lotto numbers keep eluding me as well...

Thanks!!

@BillJones said:
    It is interesting to note what gets into half dollar rolls these days. I have heard of "not made for circulation date Kennedy have dollars" showing up it these rolls. At one time someone paid more than face value for these coins, and yet now they are being turned into banks at face value.

The same applies to the Statue of Liberty half dollar you found. The coin appears to be a Proof with a scratch on the sun. As such it's not going to sell for much because a nice one has a wholesale value of $3 or less. Perhaps someone tried to sell it and couldn't get an offer, or they didn't know what it really was and just dropped it into "circulation."

I was a bit discouraged when I found out how much one of Statue halves goes for... Not a bad addition to the collection in any case... Only paid 50 cents for it, so....

Thanks!!!

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    The 2018-P Quarter looks like a struck through something coin. It looks to be a fragment of metal from some machine part that broke or shattered during the striking process.

Note the curvature on the left. The piece was probably round before it shattered.

As far as the Dollar goes, get a regular Presidential Dollar and drop it. Note the sound. Then drop the Buchanan.

Let your ears decide. If they sound different, further investigation is needed.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I love the piece! It is such great condition too! Hardly any wear since it is so new... I'm glad I found it!

I did drop it... It sounded far different, but I had a Sacagawea at the time, not a presidential dollar... I have to do the test with identical coins... Do you think a plated one will have a distinct different sound? I don't own the dollar, so I will have to wait on these upcoming tests...

Thanks!!

@ricko said:
    The quarter is a 'struck through'....happens when debris of some sort gets into the striking process....the dollar looks plated... happens all the time. If you check the weight it will tell the story...If it were struck on a silver planchet, that would be an amazing find. Cheers, RickO

I did a close inspection of the dollar... I haven't seen many home plated coins... Are they good enough to not leave a mark from whatever is used to hold the coin in the solution? I could not find any marks... I weighed a 2000 Sacagawea and the Buchanan dollar... The Sacagawea was 7.88g... Buchanan was 8.01g... I think I will do a specific gravity test the next time I get the coin... I don't think plating will throw off the specific gravity of the coin enough to make it different than an actual Buchanan... I would love this to be a planchet error of some sort... Is it still possible to get foreign coin planchets in our bins?!

Thanks!!

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Nice struck thru error

Thanks so much!!

@JBK said:
    Nice struckthru on the quarter.

Others have said other threads that when silver was high a lot of Statue of Liberty sets were broken up and the clad proofs just dumped into circulation. Interesting find, but no real value as a perfect one is cheap enough.

The dollar coin as others have said is privately plated. (What else could it be?) I doubt there were any SBA planchets lurking around and if there were, you'd see the clad layers at the edge.

P.S. - in the future, especially with error coins, it is best to show both sides as that can help with the assessment. I assume your quarter has a normal, undamaged reverse, which validates the struckthru diagnosis.

Indeed!! I wish it was the silver version Statue coin... I did find three silver proofs in the same box... All incredibly perfect condition... A ton of nice NIFC's, seven proofs, 19 40%ers, and 5 90%ers (two 1964's, two Ben Franklins, and one Walking Liberty).... Serious coin collection dump in one box... Here's the end result...

Yea, what else could it be... Unfortunately, that is really what it boils down to... I could see what the SBA weighs... It would be super great if it weighs in at 8.01g.... LOL!!

Apologies on the picture!! I actually know better too... Always post both sides... I did have a pic of the Buchanan rev, but it was super blurry... Here's the quarter rev...

Thanks so much!!!

@Insider2 said:
    Your dollar is plated.

Looking that way... Unfortunately...

Thanks!!

@asheland said:
    to the boards!

Thanks!!! This forum is amazing!!!

Yes reverse of the quarter shows a good strike with no distortion, so post mint damage is not likely. Confirms struckthru.

That is one heck of a haul from a box. I don't think that much silver is common anymore in box searching.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Nice finds in that box....silver is always welcome.....Cheers, RickO

@JBK said:
    That is one heck of a haul from a box. I don't think that much silver is common anymore in box searching.

Yes indeed.
    It will be difficult to repeat this success.

• @mannie gray said:

@JBK said:

Yes indeed.
    It will be difficult to repeat this success.

Good day Mannie!

Ummmmmm... Unfortunately, I do believe you are right! I should have recorded it, but it was only my second box ever and well.... I am generally not that lucky! Oddly, my third box only had two NIFC's in poor condition...

I just searched 2000 coins... Found five 64's, and twelve 40%ers... And my first ever pristine 1987-D... Yep, I am new to this hobby, if you couldn't tell!! My better half and I will be going thru about two boxes a week... Maybe I will find that roll of Walking Liberty's... LOL!!

Cheers!!

I hope you do find some more stuff.
    Good luck.
    Also, it may be wise to save the coins that are heavily worn (lowball coins.)
    There is a market for them as generally Kennedy Halves did not circulate down lower than XF.

• Can anyone look at this 2018 pictured rocks and tell me about it. I rarely find anything like this and I'm lost on what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarter just posted certainly appears to be one that likely spent time buried in sand or some acidic soil. In other words, it appears to have environmental damage and is worth a quarter.

On a side note, why would one bring up a four-year old thread and then post images to it? It seems to me more direct just to start a new thread.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinPhysicist said:
    Another new account to post these things on? -_-

Why you got to be so NASTY..... an apology seems in order here

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for the big errors. years ago i would pull out of circulation every coin that looked strange and new it had to be an error. Usually the filled in Mint mark or the grease filled die problem coins were my major finds. I still pull some of these out just for grins,like the lincoln cent with a floating roof or the missing lines for the neck. now I just laugh at them and put them in a box. I get really excited when I find a real error - still waiting for the feeling.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file