Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 BigMac token value !!!

Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, I just purchased the above item from our local B&M weekly auction board for $2.75. I wanted to know if anyone knew the value of this item. It's sealed !!!

Thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3

Comments

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s worth the price of a Big Mac in your area. Or any other area you travel to.

Welcome!!! :)

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently $2.75.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few have been unopened. It'll be worth more than gold.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is worth a Big Mac until the end of the year (I think that is when the promotion ends)....I do have a question though.... when one turns in a token for a Big Mac, do they still collect sales tax?? Inquiring minds want to know..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It is worth a Big Mac until the end of the year (I think that is when the promotion ends)....I do have a question though.... when one turns in a token for a Big Mac, do they still collect sales tax?? Inquiring minds want to know..... ;) Cheers, RickO

They shouldn't. You didn't pay for anything, therefore the percentage tax on $0.00 is zero.

When I get a hotel room via a loyalty program, I was surprised when I wasn't charged any tax. Not even the "entertainment" tax you sometimes see.

Of course, some local governments may see things a bit differently...

• Options

In our store, when we receive a coupon for a free product, we don't just give them the product for free like you would think, we need to scan it through the system first, then apply the value of the "free" coupon toward the purchase. What's left is the tax that the register scan produces. So yes, you get the product free, but the governor still has his hand out.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 7:18AM

@Onastone said: "Very few have been unopened."

My family is having a discussion at the moment. Are you saying that very few are still in the original unopened pack or that very few remain in the pack because most packs have been opened?

• Options

@Onastone said:
    In our store, when we receive a coupon for a free product, we don't just give them the product for free like you would think, we need to scan it through the system first, then apply the value of the "free" coupon toward the purchase. What's left is the tax that the register scan produces. So yes, you get the product free, but the governor still has his hand out.

Coupons are different than discounts. Because a coupon is a promise by a manufacturer to reimburse the seller for the amount of the coupon, sales tax is charged.

If the discount is offered by the seller (for instance, a sale item at a grocery store) the discount is applied before the sales tax is applied.

Since the Mac Brasses are discounts by the seller, there should be no sales tax.

Hey, don't look at me. I didn't invent the tax code...

• Options

@Insider2 said:

My family is having a discussion at the moment. Are you saying that very few are still in the original unopened pack or that very few remain in the pack because most packs have been opened?

Despite how we feel about Big Macs here,(almost every collector here see them as trash food) , there are thousands that love them, and if you give those people a token worth another FREE Big Mac, they're going to jump on the chance to get another one. To redeem them, I think they do get opened. As collectors, we see a value of an unopened, untouched, pristine token. I would have opened it immediately when I was a kid. Do you know how many kids/teenagers frequent McDonalds? So I guess I'm saying most of these have been opened.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@Insider2 said:

Despite how we feel about Big Macs here,(almost every collector here see them as trash food) , there are thousands that love them, and if you give those people a token worth another FREE Big Mac, they're going to jump on the chance to get another one. To redeem them, I think they do get opened. As collectors, we see a value of an unopened, untouched, pristine token. I would have opened it immediately when I was a kid. Do you know how many kids/teenagers frequent McDonalds? So I guess I'm saying most of these have been opened.

We didn't understand your English usage. That is what I thought you posted. I disagree with your opinion 100%.

Perhaps you should do a little research. At this moment in time, I'll guarantee that the vast majority have not been opened! As time goes by, I will agree with you. Consider me a nut as words mean something.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

Coupons are different than discounts. Because a coupon is a promise by a manufacturer to reimburse the seller for the amount of the coupon, sales tax is charged.

If the discount is offered by the seller (for instance, a sale item at a grocery store) the discount is applied before the sales tax is applied.

Since the Mac Brasses are discounts by the seller, there should be no sales tax.

Actually, I think the tokens would be interpreted as brass coupons, would they not?

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

You are 100% right!

I have to say in Massachusetts there are so many gray areas in our tax laws. For instance, clothing is non-taxable unless used for work! Example: A pair of driving gloves is not taxed but a pair of garden gloves is. The whole coupon vs discount is another gray area. For instance, food is not taxed here...unless it's "fast food" intended to be consumed right away. That means in a grocery store, you can buy salad ingredients and not pay tax, but if you use the salad bar- bingo TAXED!! These tokens are like coupons but really are discounts by the same company.

I called the closest McDonalds and asked a couple questions.

"Hi! Do you have any Big Mac tokens left?"
    "Yes we do."
    "Have many been redeemed for free Macs?"
    "So far around 100."
    "Do you give us the Mac totally free without charging tax?"
    "Yes, we don't charge you tax. But remember, you can only get one per visit."
    "Okay, thanks!"

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

Actually, I think the tokens would be interpreted as brass coupons, would they not?

Do they come with a par value? There isn't one on the coin, but I haven't looked at the accompanying paperwork...

If there's no par value, it's not a coupon.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Do they come with a par value? There isn't one on the coin, but I haven't looked at the accompanying paperwork...

If there's no par value, it's not a coupon.

Hmmm...I don't know. I sold all of mine, so I can't even look.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

At this moment in time, I'll guarantee that the vast majority have not been opened!

Are you saying that there are more "collectors" than "burger eaters"? Wouldn't the results be different if tokens were issued at a coin show instead of a fast food joint? It's just an opinion, but I think the majority of those packs get opened within the first five minutes while eating the burger.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero to me.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@Insider2 said:

At this moment in time, I'll guarantee that the vast majority have not been opened!

Are you saying that there are more "collectors" than "burger eaters"? Wouldn't the results be different if tokens were issued at a coin show instead of a fast food joint? It's just an opinion, but I think the majority of those packs get opened within the first five minutes while eating the burger.

Take a look on Ebay. As I wrote, I will acknowledge that you will be 100% correct as more will be opened. A small number are going into TPGS slabs. We received 50 unopened on Friday and they will remain that way until tomorrow.

Your original post - "most are opened" - hit me as "unconfirmed nonsense." That's why I removed an "uncharitable comment" and changed it to a question.

PS Hopefully MD will figure out a very good way of turning redeemed tokens into another popular product and collectible. How about melting them and issuing a "made from" token.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it the token @Timbuk3 ? ..... it is worth at least 4 BM after you sell it in eBay or better yet enter the "3 complete sets Free McD 50th Anniversary Contest" for a chance to multiple it to 5's :)
    Drawing is this coming Wednesday ;)

• Options

@Insider2 said:

Take a look on Ebay.

Wow! I really didn't expect to see so many and so pricey. I was only joking when I said they would be worth more than gold. Do you have any photos of one in a slab?

• Options

@Onastone said:

@Insider2 said:

Take a look on Ebay.

Wow! I really didn't expect to see so many and so pricey. I was only joking when I said they would be worth more than gold. Do you have any photos of one in a slab?

The is one on Google Thursday done by one of the coin grading companies. There are probably more now.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 10:40AM

:p Got a Pic?

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

TPGs are grading them?

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 10:55AM

It seems the international coins have different packaging, I mean obviously they would to accommodate the local language but I wonder if these will bring higher prices, I would think they would be less collected in other countries but I’m not sure. Does anyone know if there’s a list of participating countries?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323388364308

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

This one only graded a MS 68. I imagine these will not grade much higher...Isn't brass a softer metal than silver? And I think they are run off a conveyor belt into a wrapping machine, then dumped into a box. A perfect token would be quite rare.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2018 1:12PM

NGC is not the only one. They were just the first TPGS to post an online image. That image inspired me to call MD Offices to find out what we should put on the label for the ones we are grading. I think my discussion started Thursday.
    What about PCGS?

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I'm new to this site, but here's my opinion. Like it or not, these coins have collectible value. I sold three of the 1998-2008 coin for $100 on eBay last week. That coin was definitely short printed, based on the demand for it.

They are currently selling for $20 to $25 on eBay, while the others are selling for around $10 each. Only time will tell if those prices hold, though.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth one 8 ounce bottle of Pepto Bismol.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

i heard wendy's is going to do some next year when they hit fifty

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

They are going to dig up Dave and if he lands heads up the tokens are a go.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@johnny9434 said:

They are going to dig up Dave and if he lands heads up the tokens are a go.

i suppose :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up 2 of these tokens. They are numbered so perhaps lower numbered or lucky number 666 will carry extra value.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    I picked up 2 of these tokens. They are numbered so perhaps lower numbered or lucky number 666 will carry extra value.

Where is the number? You may have something special.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

never mind. That's the date. I have issue 20082018. I was confused with a bronze May the force be with you token that one says 18907.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have them for sale at our table at Ana 533. They have no cash value so no tax is charged and most are being redeemed unopen. I haves spies at at least a dozen McDonalds. There are no better dates all were distributed equally

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your arteries thank you for buying the token on the secondary market vs. consuming that crap

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1998-2008 unopened hit $15.50 on ebay in a few hours, but has paused. Closes Friday, so we will see.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether keeping the coin unopened or using it for a Big Mac and not eating it, both will remain in pristine condition for a long time.

• Options

Thank you to all who responded. For $2.75, I guess I'll keep it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Onastone said:

They are Tokens - Good For something. Coupons lower the price of something, "25 cents off when presented at purchase".

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:

@jmlanzaf said:

>

They are Tokens - Good For something. Coupons lower the price of something, "25 cents off when presented at purchase".

This is not true, at least not in NY. State. If you have a coupon for a free razor, it's a COUPON not a paper token. And N.Y. State still gets the tax.

You do recognize that your distinction isn't even logical. What's the difference between a 10% off coupon and a 100% off coupon? You are arguing that 100% off suddenly makes it something different. At the very least, NY State disagrees.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What year does show on your coin?

@Timbuk3 said:
    Hi, I just purchased the above item from our local B&M weekly auction board for $2.75. I wanted to know if anyone knew the value of this item. It's sealed !!!

Thanks !!! :)

• Options

The side that has the BigMac has 1968-2018. The other side has 2018. I can't see it very well, because the inset card blocks the view. Sorry !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    We have them for sale at our table at Ana 533. They have no cash value so no tax is charged and most are being redeemed unopen. I haves spies at at least a dozen McDonalds. There are no better dates all were distributed equally

Incorrect. The 1998-2008 coin sells for much more on eBay than the other 4 coins in the set. The only reasonable explanation is that coin was short printed.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not at all short printed just distributed differently. At the end of the day they are all the same. Just take awhile til they turn up in the mix. It’s a supply demand so for the moment it’s in short supply hence trading higher

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file