Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1901-S quarter in PCGS-58, Pics Found

barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2018 7:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone here ever seen this coin? I've yet to run across a collector or dealer who's seen it, and I've been looking/asking for a lot of years.

Vern
l
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Comments

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like PGCS census has 1 in 58 and NGC has 4 in theirs, so it could be hard to find. Good luck searching! :)

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a tall order for the 01-S. AU53 is the highest I have seen.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2018 5:59PM

Link to 1901-S 25c in AU58

Here is the coins in question.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Price guide states 37,500. I believe it would sell a bit North of that if it’s at least average.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

The oldest PCGS Pop report I have is April 1994, and it showed a pop of 1 back then. Same lone coin, I'm guessing. Where might it be?

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2018 4:31AM

It might be in a 61 or 62 holder by now.
    That's what I was thinking also....sent in before the 'Everyman' registry craze, where a grade of 58 would have made it more valuable, at least for some folks.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scarce coin... and price reflects that scarcity.... Good luck. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a 63 in hand once. Overgraded dog. No way was it MS. If the insert were covered up I would've said "55" without hesitation.

No clue where the lone 58 is or if it's still even in a 58 holder. If you locate it, let me know where it is so I can buy it out from under you. LOL! JK!

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

It's possible the one AU58 in 1994 is now in a 61, 62 or 63 holder. In January 1994, CDN was AU $6,900, MS60 was $8,500 and MS-63 was $11,500, so there was a financial incentive.

And pops have increased in the past 24+ years as follows:
    MS60, was 0, now 0;
    MS61, was 0, now 1:
    MS62, was 1, now 2;
    MS63, was 6, now 9.

But I'm still hoping somebody might know, and come forward with the info.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the years, I've only seen two coins that were strictly Uncirculated sent in for authentication. The post above proves they are out there somewhere.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Darn!!! Just saw this post.

Several years ago Mike told me he did see the PCGS 58, once, and mentioned a name (owner?). I don't know where he was at the time. Unfortunately, I did not make a note of it, don't know if he had any notes and don't know if there was more than one submission. I do know he very much liked what he saw back in the day ( it may have been in the early 2000's). There was no image that he saw at that time.

Whenever (if ever) it comes out it should be a great specimen. The demand for it would be significant. He compared it to his AU55 that he did not care for and traded it on the 1892 micro-o Half he owned.

Although some will disagree, for my money, the James A. Stack Gem, that I held in my hand in in early 1975 was the best 1901-S on the planet. Unbelievable in its non plastic, pre-TPG form.

Craig

• Options

Craig - That's the first I've heard of someone I know having seen the 58. RIP Mike.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2018 7:32AM

From last year's Stack's auction, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    At one point in time, was the start of my grading set:

Wow the 10 and 12 look like old school siblings.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

One tough grading set!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Dave99B - Sure would be nice to see a perfect XF or AU. Also, have you tried 3Floyds, Robert the Bruce? Tasty.

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    At one point in time, was the start of my grading set:

Vern’s 35 is very nice. Original and problem free.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

DO NOT!! stop now. ...Just beautiful.

Craig

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy threads like this even though I’m not a Barber fanatic.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another “grading set” (not mine):

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I enjoy threads like this even though I’m not a Barber fanatic.

HERESY!!!

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

Ming - I remember when this 01-S was yours. Nice when it went from N50 to PC53.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 1:55PM

and cac'd as well

Unfortunately, Ming didn't capitalize on the upgrade, the dealer he sold it too did. I got it cac'd

• Options

I think this AU55 w/cac has a chance of getting an AU58.

• Options

• Options

Ming - Looks like a lot of chatter on that 55's obv to me. But one never knows.

Jim - Thanks for posting the updated pics.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys
    Also, have you tried 3Floyds, Robert the Bruce?

No, haven’t seen them out West, but will keep my eyes open!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

3 Floyds is a brewery in Munster, Indiana, with pretty much only a mid western reach.

Anyone have a guess on what the 58 above might fetch at auction?

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern,

did walt say where he was able to get the pics of the 58 from, and who owns it?

Ill tell ya one thing, if the 58 comes up for auction, it will go high, because I alone will chase it into stratospheric levels, you can count on it!

• Options

Walt found the pics on a computer he was cleaning up. No other information at all, unfortunately.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Jim - If it ever comes to auction, I hope we are at lot viewing, looking at it together.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Not an AU, but still a nice, original example, now belongs to my friend Dan, PC20:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is super original 01-S I saved from years ago. I think this might have been Jdimmick's.

• Options

its the one I used to own, sold to vern several years ago, back to me again, then to a private collector from the Chicago area (that probably prefers to remain nameless) (but the barber guys know him) R S. Not to many years after that , he must have sold it to harry L directly or to another individual that did. was finally upgraded by the latter to f-15.

haven't seen it or herd of it since then.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 58 looks like it has a haze to it.

• Options

I haven't talked to ira in a long time either, he used to do a lot better when the market was better on the stuff he liked to offer. Not much money left buying coins of the bourse floor, then retailing on ebay unless you pick something a dealer missed either by grading or variety.

• Options

Brian,
    I agree , the 01-s in 58 needs a dip (vern probably would crucify me saying that), but underlying surfaces of that coin are pristine. Somebody with the skills could make it a real winner, if done right!

• Options

Dip a 58 01-S quarter. Can’t agree with that plan. But then again I’m the no headlights guy.

• Options

Tyler - The 01-S you posted is the middle one of the 3 coin grading set I posted earlier.

Jim - Dip, bite your tongue.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2018 2:52PM

NGC has graded 4 to AU58. Has anyone tried crossing any of them to our host, since an NGC AU50 was crossed to a P AU53?

• Options

Ming - The only NGC-58 I've come across was one "sold" on ebay on July 27, 2013. The pics were terrible. The buyer and I had communications in which he was going to describe the coin when he had it in hand. I'm still waiting. No transactions for NGC-58's are listed in coinfacts.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2018 2:16PM

@barberkeys said:
    Ming - The only NGC-58 I've come across was one "sold" on ebay on July 27, 2013. The pics were terrible. The buyer and I had communications in which he was going to describe the coin when he had it in hand. I'm still waiting. No transactions for NGC-58's are listed in coinfacts.

Thanks Vern for the info.

Next: Does it make sense to put out the word to see if pics of N58s can be found & posted here or the N board?

Maybe Walt K, DLRC or JJT, ira or? know & can help.

heck, I’ll even pay admission to see them on display at LB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file