Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is better? Ruth, Williams … How about Ty Cobb?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2018 11:31AM

@perkdog said:
    Bill, tell me who these star players are year after year?

I think Brady has like 60 different running backs during his tenure and like 80 different receivers. God forbid he would have had a Jerry Rice or a Roger Craig his entire career. I guess we should be thankful we have always had a great TE. New England doesn’t spend on offensive skill players and we get away with it because Brady can execute in a moving parts scenario. Belichek is lucky because it allows him to spend elsewhere and Kraft to be cheap. Brady has done it his entire career

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2018 11:29AM

In football you don’t need a team full of super stars and prima donnas; you need a well coached team of players, with better than average abilities, who work seamlessly together. This is the message that many fans don’t understand.

They think that you can get a star quarterback, and the team will be successful. If he doesn’t have an offensive line that can protect him, he will probably get blitzed or injured before he can even throw a pass. If he’s got no one who can get open for his passes, he fails. If the offensive line can’t open holes for the running backs, it does not matter how good they are, they will not make the runs and will probably get injured. If an all-star kicker can’t get his field goal off, it doesn’t matter if he can kick one from 50+ yards out.

Sure, super stars are fun to watch and admire, but without the guys in the trenches, they will fail. I don’t know why so many fans can’t understand that concept, but it is a basic truth of sports, especially football.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:
    Stop it Steve, your getting a little crazy

I'll make note of that...Paul doesn't particularly like the "It's a Wonderful Life" analogies. ;)

That’s one of my favorite movies actually :*

Jimmy Stewart as GOAT actor, I think would receive a lot of votes.

Both him and Ted Williams are great Americans. They flew in combat during war, and I can't think of much else that takes more stones to do than that. I mean i still get a bit nervous flying in modern commercial airlines, and nobody is shooting at me.

Ofcourse we both know it goes without saying that Tom Brady belongs in there as the GOAT QB, but yes great Americans Jimmy Stewart and Teddy Ballgame were, it definitely takes stones to fly combat missions unlike Joe D sitting on a beach getting fat during his service tenure.

That's exactly what Joe D basically did during his three years of military service during WW2, and he didn't even like doing that from what I've read. Quite pathetic really.

If Joe Montana was never born, then Tom Brady would be right up there for consideration as the GOAT.

However if Bill Belichick was never born, Brady would have been picked lower than the 6th round, may not have developed properly under the tutelage of a different coach, and right now might be out there on a sales call trying to sell life insurance.

And if Joe Montana never had Jerry Rice and the other boatload of HOF’ers supporting him on both sides of the ball being coached by Bill Walsh he probably would have been another Rick Mirer. Argument destroyed, thanks for playing

This why I say the coach and the front office are the heart of the team. Without them making the right choices, a winning franchise never comes together. That's why I say that Belichick is more important to the Patriots than Brady.

If you want to see what bad management does, look at the Cleveland Browns. After they made a trade this week, not one of their recent first round picks are still with the organization, despite very high first round draft picks. The reserver they just traded for a seventh round draft pick in 2020 was part of the deal that let the Eagles draft Carson Wentz. Moe, Larry and Curley are managing the Cleveland Browns.

Did you not understand my post? I’m spelling out clear cut reasons why NE fans get on Belichek and Kraft for not putting great players around Brady and your saying that Belichek has been more important than Brady? Sorry but your way off

Paul, no offense, but I've stated before, reasons why I think your premise about Belichick and Brady is incorrect.

Belichick gets players, coaches them up, sucks as much football as he can out of them, and when they get to the point whereby they are no longer playing Bill Belichick type football, then he gets rid of them.

Yes, every NFL head coach would like to do that. However the bottom line is Belichick does it far better than anyone else.

How does Belichick do it? How the yell do I know? What I do know is that Bill Belichick is a stone cold genius.

I recall when Herb Brooks put together that 1980 Olympic hockey team and he cut some of the better players which confused some people. He said (paraphrase) I'm not looking for the best players, i'm looking for the right players.

Belichick has an eye for signing the right players, and doing what I mentioned, and winning football games.

Without question when this is understood, it's clear that Belichick has surrounded Brady with great talent thru these years, even though most of them were not Hall of Famers overall - they were the right players.

So it is Belichick, with an assist to Tom Brady, but it is Belichick who is primarily and most importantly responsible for the huge success of the New England Patriots.

I am happy to oblige you with my superb knowledge about the fundamental understanding of the game of football, so that you can inform other Patriots fans that they are acting silly when they nitpick Bill Belichick. ;)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

I think Brady has like 60 different running backs during his tenure and like 80 different receivers. God forbid he would have had a Jerry Rice or a Roger Craig his entire career. I guess we should be thankful we have always had a great TE. New England doesn’t spend on offensive skill players and we get away with it because Brady can execute in a moving parts scenario. Belichek is lucky because it allows him to spend elsewhere and Kraft to be cheap. Brady has done it his entire career

m

Agreed 1000%

• Options

Steve, I don’t have the patience to keep up with you as far as this debate goes because like your Joe Montana, Jim Brown stance you refuse to be reasoned with. If you want to think that Tom Brady is a result of Bill Belichek then fine, no amount of attempts to reason with you will ever change your mind. Ive only been watching Brady since he took over for Bledsoe that’s all, all those numbers and records from his vision and pin point accuracy has been because of himself but again no amount of posts will ever change your opinion so I don’t know what else to post on the subject.

• Options

And for the record no offense taken, I find it humorous that you really believe some of the stuff you type about Brady and the Pats. I think you would be a great lawyer actually, and I dont mean that in a bad way as it’s a compliment. I think you are a master at counter points and counter arguments- it’s the former gambler in you. I thoroughly enjoy our banter and will reload on this another time, I’m just a little burnt from the heat and long day. B)

• Options

@perkdog said:
    And for the record no offense taken, I find it humorous that you really believe some of the stuff you type about Brady and the Pats. I think you would be a great lawyer actually, and I dont mean that in a bad way as it’s a compliment. I think you are a master at counter points and counter arguments- it’s the former gambler in you. I thoroughly enjoy our banter and will reload on this another time, I’m just a little burnt from the heat and long day. B)

Paul - sometimes people can't see the forest from the trees, and sports fans in any city can be like that.

I think you're probably too big of a fan of Tom Brady to look at the Belichick-Brady relationship objectively. Tom Brady without question is a great player, he's also great for the game and I happen to like him personally. I've got no problem whatsoever with Tom Brady one day being a first ballot Hall of Famer.

If Brady was playing for any other current head coach in the NFL I might tend to agree with your viewpoint.

But we're talking about Bill Belichick here, of whom I have emphatically stated a number of times, that in my opinion he is the GOAT for NFL head coaches.

They say the difference between a genius and somebody very smart, is that the very smart person does something and we say that we could have thought of that. The genius does something and we say that we would have never thought of that.

I've listened to Bill Belichick many times, and I learn something new about the game almost every time. I can't say that about any other NFL head coach I've ever seen. Perhaps Bill Walsh was similar, but i don't recall learning anything from Walsh in an interview like I've learned from Bill Belichick.

In any event, I don't think we would disagree that Belichick is a genius. We do disagree on how his genius has made Brady into one of the best of all time.

I know you agree that certainly Belichick has helped Brady, Brady has even clearly stated that, but I guess we will have to agree to disagree, on the extent of which Belichick has helped him.

Despite the solid points I've made that Belichick thru his system has turned average players into Super Bowl winners, that is a stone cold fact. You still stubbornly won't give Belichick the credit where credit is due that he also coached up a 6th round draft pick named Tom Brady.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2018 5:22PM

Steve, honestly I do agree that Belichek is a genius, I sincerely do! However I don’t think he is perfect nor do I think that he has always put everything for the team first and himself and his personality second. I mean there has never been more clear cut evidence than last years Super Bowl to back up my claim. Yes he has definitely coached a bunch of team first guys into super bowl winners, that is undeniable however he had Tom Brady as his field general. Yes I’m a homer, yes I do think that Tom Brady is without question the very best ever,am I stubborn? I guess I am. We all talk about other factors when discussing the best players and sometimes we hold certain factors against players and other times we don’t. Very rarely do we talk about a coach or manager as the reason for players success, do we give Casey Stengel Credit for Mickey Mantle? Do we talk about Ali’s trainers? Wilt’s Head Coach? I could go on and on, HOF’s don’t put asterisks next to inductees because of their Oline, Stud WR, manager or trainer. I feel that Brady gets short changed because of Belichek, I mean you talk up Montana yet I threw a big example of his positive variables surrounding him yet you still say he is the best. With all that I have mentioned I feel that I have the right to say Brady is the best. Either way it’s always fun engaging you and I will agree with you that we will have to agree to disagree.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Yea, and Albert Einstein got poor grades in school and then worked as a patent clerk, probably making a minimum wage type salary. He didn't even start speaking any words until he was three years old.

What do you think Belichick was born a football genius? He worked at it and developed into one, same as any successful genius.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Belichick is still the last Cleveland head coach to have won a playoff game. Just think about that for a moment.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2018 6:24PM

So I’m trying to wrap my head around this.

Belichick was 41-55 including a 5-11 year with New England before Brady.

With Brady starting at QB Bilichick is 209 and 63. They start their strong dominance the very moment Brady is the starting QB. So, I’m being asked to believe Belichicks genius is behind this. Excuse me while I laugh uncontrollably.

Yes maybe Belichick got struck by lightning in the off season of 2000 and become a genius. Or maybe Tom Brady happened.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

With Brady starting at QB Bilichick is 209 and 63. They start their strong dominance the very moment Brady is the starting QB. So, I’m being asked to believe Belichicks genius is behind this. Excuse me while I laugh uncontrollably.

Yes maybe Belichick got struck by lightning in the off season of 2000 and become a genius. Or maybe Tom Brady happened.

m

winner winner chicken parm dinner

• Options

Mark your posting way too much common sense

• Options
    edited August 9, 2018 6:40PM

@perkdog said:
    Mark your posting way too much common sense

I think anyone who has ever played the game knows that great coaches can put you in a good position to win. However it’s the guys between the lines that have to make the plays. There are 11 other guys behind the other line.

I sence a Stevek high school football story/ analogy in the offing. Wait for it

mark

• Options

tom brady almost single-handedly won the last sb in spite of his coach and defense

this is an inane debate

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    tom brady almost single-handedly won the last sb in spite of his coach and defense

this is an inane debate

At 40 years old too

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

I think i stated that Brady gets an assist in Belichick's success.

The Browns atmosphere was becoming poisonous towards the end there. Then Art Modell moved the team to another city. Tough for a coach to operate in conditions such as that.

BTW, Belichick didn't inherit Brady, he drafted him.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is either the best QB ever or he is at the top of the conversation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is as silly as those who don't recognize Jim Brown is the best running back ever.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The players are always more instrumental than the coach in the success of the team. Belichick is an exceptional coach, arguably one of the best ever, but Brady deserves more credit than he does for the patriot dynasty.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    The players are always more instrumental than the coach in the success of the team. Belichick is an exceptional coach, arguably one of the best ever, but Brady deserves more credit than he does for the patriot dynasty.

But what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Coaches who make players great, or players who make coaches great?

BTW, the correct answer is the egg. ;)

• Options

https://youtu.be/sJsq5uP7IjI

Pasted:

Brady also showed up to the NFL Draft combine looking very un-athletic.

"He did not have the prototypical NFL body," said Don Banks of Sports Illustrated on the NFL Network. "He came out kinda skinny [and] they didn't think he was strong enough."

Vic Carucci of NFL.com added that Brady "looked slow."

Brady ran his 40-yard dash in 5.28 seconds, well-below where quarterbacks should be. Of the 308 quarterbacks to run at the NFL Combine since 2000, Only three ran as slow or slower than Brady.

• Options

@Brick said:
    Brady is either the best QB ever or he is at the top of the conversation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is as silly as those who don't recognize Jim Brown is the best running back ever.

Ralph that is not funny

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018 4:11AM

my view is that Belichick is a great Coach and Brady is a great QB. Brady hasn't had the chance to show what he could do without Belichick, but Belichick has had ample opportunity to show what he could do without Brady. he was not very successful.

I think that when he accepted the HC's job with the Browns that he was hampered by two things: inexperience and an over-controlling owner, Art Modell. it took several years, but Belichick understood his limitations, went back to his mentor and accepted the Patriots job in 2000 much better prepared. also, Modell left for Baltimore and realized he had to do things different. he found people he could trust and backed away quite a bit from the day-to-day operation of "HIS" team.

the results for both were very good.

They think that you can get a star quarterback, and the team will be successful

I have been saying this for years, but the Cleveland Browns front office continue to believe they can use the no. 1 pick to find a QB who will transform the team. it has failed miserably.

• Options

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Brady/Belichek it shouldn’t matter. Nobody ever mentions all the great surrounding variables Montana had so we shouldn’t do it to Brady, with that being said it just mystifies me how anyone can say Montana was better, Brady has done so much more it’s ridiculous

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Boston Red Sox will go down as the greatest baseball franchise ever.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think that the "Damn Yankees" get that title because of all the pennants and World Series they have won.

The Red Sox have had too many down periods. They were poor as church mice in the 1920s. There was a time during that period when the stands burned at Fenway Park. I think it was down the left field line. The management had to leave it that way because they didn’t have the money to fix it. They didn’t lose any customers because of the lack of seating since their attendance was so poor.

After Tom Yawkey bought the team, things got better. He bought some top players, like Jimmy Foxx and the Red Sox were contenders. Still, I’ve read that he ran the club like a “country club” while the Yankees ran their operation as a business.

Going into the 1950s, Yawkey seemed to lose interest in the team. He let it slide until the “miracle 1967 season.” After that the Sox were up and down, but never terrible. Finally in the late ‘70s they had another good period, and since the new management bought the team, they have had a wonderful run.

I know that every fan thinks his team is the best, but to be objective, you have to say that the Yankees have had an incredible history from the mid 1920s forward.

And yes I wish that CBS has kept the Yankees. When they owned the team, the Yankees were just great so far as I was concerned. ;) The Yankees really good to me when they were in cellar. B)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Is it possible you are both right? Here is a what if though.......what if the Pat's would have had Payton Manning or Drew Breez(sp) all these years? Something to think about.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it just mystifies me how anyone can say Montana was better, Brady has done so much more it’s ridiculous

the only thing I will say about this is to agree with Brady's accomplishments but to point out that the Patriots pretty much use a system that Bill Walsh conceived and ran very, very well with the right QB. it is the same with the Pats, the difference being that Walsh/Montana proved it could be done.

all for people changed the game as we know it.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    BTW Paul, in case you aren't aware of it. There are weekly meetings all throughout the Boston area where Red Sox fans can attend, stand up and shout as loud as they want something like, "Oh my gosh, we messed up, we traded away the GOAT!"

Expletives are permitted if the participants choose to do that.

I have been at those meetings but you must have misheard them what they are actually saying is "Oh my gosh , we should have traded away the GOAT! " Instead we traded Jimmy G to the 49ers and we are primed to watch TB 12 flame out and its going to start in about 4 weeks

• Options
    edited August 10, 2018 8:44AM

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:
    BTW Paul, in case you aren't aware of it. There are weekly meetings all throughout the Boston area where Red Sox fans can attend, stand up and shout as loud as they want something like, "Oh my gosh, we messed up, we traded away the GOAT!"

I have been at those meetings but you must have misheard them what they are actually saying is "Oh my gosh , we should have traded away the GOAT! " Instead we traded Jimmy G to the 49ers and we are primed to watch TB 12 flame out and its going to start in about 4 weeks

Until we see Jimmy G come right back down to earth and struggle. The honeymoon period in SF was the last 6 games a year ago. Jimmy G is no Tom Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Until we see Jimmy G come right back down to earth and struggle. The honeymoon period in SF was the last 6 games a year ago. Jimmy G is no Tom Brady.

Agreed , but now Tom Brady is no Tom Brady , kraft should have let Billy boy cut him. Tommy can float over to the west coast and give yoga classes and sell sports drinks and concussion water.

Radio says he looks bad at practice , TV says he looks fat and sloppy , he winces a lot and rubs his throwing arm , pretty soon he will probably sign with the Jets for league minimum

• Options

Brady is a tough call as to when it will end for him.

We all know that with every athlete, barring injury, the legs are usually the first thing to go. From the website statements pasted above with the video of Brady at the combine, it is clear that Brady didn't have athletic legs to begin with.

Brady of course does have tremendous heart and desire, and that has certainly helped to make him great. However at some point, even that isn't enough on the highest level such as the NFL. And when it goes, it can go quickly.

We shall see what happens. I wish Brady well, except if he again meets in the Super Bowl, the dynasty team in the making, the Philadelphia Eagles.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Agreed , but now Tom Brady is no Tom Brady , kraft should have let Billy boy cut him. Tommy can float over to the west coast and give yoga classes and sell sports drinks and concussion water.

Radio says he looks bad at practice , TV says he looks fat and sloppy , he winces a lot and rubs his throwing arm , pretty soon he will probably sign with the Jets for league minimum

Touché, I was actually surprised Brady didn’t end up floating out to sea with the 49’ers they were his favorite childhood team.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Touché, I was actually surprised Brady didn’t end up floating out to sea with the 49’ers they were his favorite childhood team.

Brady went from an unassuming guy to a massive tool somewhere along the line. His huge ego is now going to be the death of the dynasty. If he hadn't been so selfish he would have left early and let Jimmy and Bill carry on. Bill always cuts them loose before the end but that isn't going to happen here with Brady. We have no QB and are one decrepit 41 year old man injury away from disaster . We would have been better off with the guy they sent to indy for a sack of balls than Hoyer.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Brady went from an unassuming guy to a massive tool somewhere along the line. His huge ego is now going to be the death of the dynasty. If he hadn't been so selfish he would have left early and let Jimmy and Bill carry on. Bill always cuts them loose before the end but that isn't going to happen here with Brady. We have no QB and are one decrepit 41 year old man injury away from disaster . We would have been better off with the guy they sent to indy for a sack of balls than Hoyer.

I’m not agreeing with you 100%, I mean let’s not forget 8 months ago at 40 Brady led the team to a Super Bowl and just happened to set almost every single passing record for a game! I think your painting a picture of a guy like Manning in his final year and that’s probably not the case with Brady this year, it WILL come eventually and maybe even this year but then again maybe it won’t? I do agree that he has progressed from a nice young man to a metro tool and a guy who won’t sign autos for kids at Patriot practices. As much as I think he is the best ever and my all time favorite sports guy that I will always defend, I got zero interest in meeting him and talking with
    him.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

I’m not agreeing with you 100%, I mean let’s not forget 8 months ago at 40 Brady led the team to a Super Bowl and just happened to set almost every single passing record for a game! I think your painting a picture of a guy like Manning in his final year and that’s probably not the case with Brady this year, it WILL come eventually and maybe even this year but then again maybe it won’t? I do agree that he has progressed from a nice young man to a metro tool and a guy who won’t sign autos for kids at Patriot practices. As much as I think he is the best ever and my all time favorite sports guy that I will always defend, I got zero interest in meeting him and talking with
    him.

he did have a great year and a great superbowl . But he is a jerk for forcing them to trade the next guy to suit his ego. He is a jerk for saying he wants to play to 45 while jimmy G is here but now suddenly he thinks time with his family is important. He is also a jerk for trying to peddle his tb12 snake oil when we all know he is juiced up with some at the moment undetectable designer roids. Edelman getting popped for PEDs made it pretty clear what is going on with all that. That swami of his with the concussion water and the special massages everyone swears by is a is nuttier than a fruitcake , and it is ridiculous that he would even be seen with the loser .

The Tom versus time documentaries were sickening . Manning may have been a tool but I'm much more ok with him smiling and slinging papa johns pizza than the tb12 magic potions and avacado ice cream nonsense .

When Brady goes out it wont be like manning it will be like Farve . Jerking the team and fans around will he won't he retire and throwing pick 6's all over the field.

• Options

Brady’s father did predict a bad ending for Tom’s tenure with the Pats so we will see. And agreed on all that weirdo TB12 garbage, definitely.

• Options

I just checked out the TB12 website.

I basically don't disagree with anything here that's been said about it.

I have read numerous books and articles on nutrition, and I consume an extremely healthy diet. That is the proper way to do it in my view, and not any of these processed package programs.

However this TB12 system is certainly better than a diet of burgers, pizza, beer, and using potato chips for vegetables. But a much more effective and less expensive alternative can be learned with some basic internet research. Such as the Mediterranean diet, etc.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2018 2:52PM

Steve, I’m 48 and have been working out since I was 15, I don’t eat white bread, fried food ect.. Two things I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older is diet is more important than working out. That being said I have a flat stomach and decent build still, but eventually I know for a fact I will be needing to get on Test. Looking back I can honestly say I was at a high level of being in shape up until I was about 44, now I don’t heavy lift and I only have 1.5 abs instead of 4 abs. Now I’ve never done any supplements outside of whey Protein powder and actually gave that up due to the cholesterol. Where I’m going with this is I think Brady will be good for another 2 years maybe 3 even with his lifestyle, I think he will be in shape for far longer but outside of using PEDs you lose do much after a certain point in your 40’s I think Brady might delay it a bit longer but unless he does serious PEDs I can’t see him playing till he is 45.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Steve, I’m 48 and have been working out since I was 15, I don’t eat white bread, fried food ect.. Two things I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older is diet is more important than working out. That being said I have a flat stomach and decent build still, but eventually I know for a fact I will be needing to get on Test. Looking back I can honestly say I was at a high level of being in shape up until I was about 44, now I don’t heavy lift and I only have 1.5 abs instead of 4 abs. Now I’ve never done any supplements outside of whey Protein powder and actually gave that up due to the cholesterol. Where I’m going with this is I think Brady will be good for another 2 years maybe 3 even with his lifestyle, I think he will be in shape for far longer but outside of using PEDs you lose do much after a certain point in your 40’s I think Brady might delay it a bit longer but unless he does serious PEDs I can’t see him playing till he is 45.

I could do a dissertation on this but this isn't the forum for it. Suffice to say if anyone does nothing else except one thing to dramatically improve their diet, consume organic at every opportunity.

Organic is a bit more expensive, but to me, my body is worth it. Frankly, knowing what I know about food processing, consuming non-organic foods, particularly fruits and vegetables simply isn't an option.

Of course some food products cannot be bought organic such as fish, so the key is doing your research on the fish products which are the right ones to consume.

BTW - I totally agree with ya that diet is more important than working out. Yes some moderate exercise is helpful, but if the diet is poor, it doesn't matter much...a heart attack, cancer, and disease is just waiting to pounce.

One point on "supplements" which are in most food stores now. A problem that rarely gets mentioned with them is that the filtering organs such as the kidneys and liver, have to filter all that stuff out, and can lead to various problems. In my view, a proper diet, stressing organic as mentioned, as well as the proper types and amounts of vitamins without overdoing it, is the most effective way to a long and healthy life.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2018 4:57PM

I don’t buy into the organic food thing whatsoever, personally I think the hormones that are put into food is good for people, my father looked like an old man at my age, now he is 68 smokes a pack a day and eates like crap and he hasn’t been sick a single day in his life. We are all on an internal clock, all are wound differently. As far as Test goes my buddy who is 69 works out at my gym and is power lifting big weight and competes, his secret? Test

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I don’t buy into the organic food thing whatsoever, personally I think the hormones that are put into food is good for people, my father looked like an old man at my age, now he is 68 smokes a pack a day and eates like crap and he hasn’t been sick a single day in his life. We are all on an internal clock, all are wound differently. As far as Test goes my buddy who is 69 works out at my gym and is power lifting big weight and competes, his secret? Test

Paul - What's to "buy into" with organic foods? It's simply food grown without pesticides.

As for "test" I presume you mean testosterone. Thru proper diet, my body naturally produces the levels of that which I need.

And I've never used Viagra - I can still cut diamonds with it. If the Perkies ever spent a weekend with me, I'm sure there wouldn't be any complaints...other than "stevek, go easier on us, you're wearing us out." LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Paul - What's to "buy into" with organic foods? It's simply food grown without pesticides.

As for "test" I presume you mean testosterone. Thru proper diet, my body naturally produces the levels of that which I need.

And I've never used Viagra - I can still cut diamonds with it. If the Perkies ever spent a weekend with me, I'm sure there wouldn't be any complaints...other than "stevek, go easier on us, you're wearing us out." LOL

Ok I thought the organic foods were hormone free, I didn’t realize it had anything to do with pesticides. As far as libido I’m fine in that department most of the time, it’s the yawning at 9:30 at night, recovery from workouts and basic energy level slipping is my thoughts on theTest being a positive thing, basically I’d like to rewind the clock a few years. My DR won’t give it to me though because my levels are right above average for my age. I won’t do it outside of a DR. It does surprise me that it is illegal for football players to do, I don’t see it as performance enhancing I see it as a body maintenance thing really. HGH and Steroids are a whole different animal though yet I don’t hear of many former athletes from the 90’s and 2000’s having any issues, take a look at Barry Bonds, he has shrunk back to normal..

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Ok I thought the organic foods were hormone free, I didn’t realize it had anything to do with pesticides. As far as libido I’m fine in that department most of the time, it’s the yawning at 9:30 at night, recovery from workouts and basic energy level slipping is my thoughts on theTest being a positive thing, basically I’d like to rewind the clock a few years. My DR won’t give it to me though because my levels are right above average for my age. I won’t do it outside of a DR. It does surprise me that it is illegal for football players to do, I don’t see it as performance enhancing I see it as a body maintenance thing really. HGH and Steroids are a whole different animal though yet I don’t hear of many former athletes from the 90’s and 2000’s having any issues, take a look at Barry Bonds, he has shrunk back to normal..

True story - Good friend of mine who i knew always enjoyed eating a lot of fresh fruit, was "complaining" to me about over the past few years he was getting headaches and stomach aches, yet his doctor checkups were fine. I told him to only buy organic fruit, and he gave me a similar answer that you did...waste of money, etc. Well I pressed him to try it for two weeks and see what happens. Well he tried it and both the headaches and stomach aches went away.

Well now almost very time I chat with him, he thanks me for telling him about organic to the point where it's gotten annoying. Now I wish i had never told him. ;)

• Options
    edited August 10, 2018 8:19PM

Been gluten free for two years now and have never felt better. Then again I’m L.A. and you could hold up a liquor store by waving a bagel around. It seems like everyone is here.

To make this sports related Peter Forsberg’s wife turned me on to gluten free. They are friends and we do business together

m

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Well, a little more complicated than that. You seem to be saying herbicides are okay.
    pesticides kill pests. Herbicides kill weeds. Not as effectively as they used to, since many
    weeds have become resistant to round-up over the years and now many farmers have
    to use a concoction of several different herbicides with different modes of action to kill weeds.
    They become harder and harder to kill every year as weeds adapt to what's trying to kill them.

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Well, a little more complicated than that. You seem to be saying herbicides are okay.
    pesticides kill pests. Herbicides kill weeds. Not as effectively as they used to, since many
    weeds have become resistant to round-up over the years and now many farmers have
    to use a concoction of several different herbicides with different modes of action to kill weeds.
    They become harder and harder to kill every year as weeds adapt to what's trying to kill them.

Yes it's more complicated than that. I just kept it short to make the overall point. For example pesticide treatment is still used in organic, otherwise the bugies would take over. But the pesticides used with organic are natural, not synthetic.

An example, i ate my last non-organic apple when i was around 25 years old. I loved apples but they just twisted my stomach into knots - couldn't take it any longer. Then i guess it was around ten years ago, i saw organic apples in the supermarket and figured I'd give a few a try. Ate them with no stomach upset at all. I've been eating organic apples ever since - love 'em.

Look, no food is 100% guaranteed safe. I know all about the e-coli potential problem with organic. That being said, I thoroughly wash all fruits and vegetables before cooking or consuming them, and I've never had any problem at all.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yes it's more complicated than that. I just kept it short to make the overall point. For example pesticide treatment is still used in organic, otherwise the bugies would take over. But the pesticides used with organic are natural, not synthetic.

An example, i ate my last non-organic apple when i was around 25 years old. I loved apples but they just twisted my stomach into knots - couldn't take it any longer. Then i guess it was around ten years ago, i saw organic apples in the supermarket and figured I'd give a few a try. Ate them with no stomach upset at all. I've been eating organic apples ever since - love 'em.

Look, no food is 100% guaranteed safe. I know all about the e-coli potential problem with organic. That being said, I thoroughly wash all fruits and vegetables before cooking or consuming them, and I've never had any problem at all.

Steve by me reading this post I’m guessing your roughly 35?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Steve by me reading this post I’m guessing your roughly 35?

Older than that.

Suffice to say though i have a body shape that is probably superior to most 35 year olds out there. My waist size is actually where I was at 25 years old, and it was pretty good back then.

I don't lift as much as you do, although i used to lift a lot. But I still lift light weights almost every day. I believe it is important to keep the muscles strong for a multitude of reasons.

It's no accident that I'm in great shape, excellent cardio, etc, and have never been to a hospital for any illness. I eat right as previously noted, don't smoke, don't drink coffee, tea or use any other stimulants, drink alcohol only on occasion and moderate amounts when I do, and the only drug in my medicine cabinet is aspirin in which I can't recall the last time I've used one.

You see, my goal in life is to outlive all you bastiges on here, even those much younger than me. ;)B)