Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for coin friends

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any fellow coin collectors in the Boston area? This is getting boring without knowing anyone else who suffers from this condition.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the benefits of this forum... lots of people to discuss coins with... I have no one in this area - that I know - who collects coins. Ergo, I frequent this forum. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a link to coin clubs. You may find some friends there.
    https://money.org/club-directory

Search in Massachusetts, USA- you should get 7 responses.

Hope this helps.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joining a coin club is the way to go. Talk to your local coin shop dealer and he can let you know what's available in your area and perhaps tell you what to expect at the meetings. Base on my experience, it seems that each coin club has its own culture and personality.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try going to a Collectors Club of Boston or Boston Numismatic Society meeting. I left the area 15 years ago, but they were a good group. There is or was a very active club in Worcester, Massachusetts. They are less up scale than the previous two groups, but they had some active meetings when I lived in the area, which included a small scale bourse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say all my coin friends are right here on this forum.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try sending a PM to forum members who share the same interests that you do. I’ve been a forum member for a long time and only once did I not get a reply back. Most board members will go out of their way to help you.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great place to be regardless of where you are. I have several coin friends in my area and see them often, yet I'm on here all week.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    Any fellow coin collectors in the Boston area? This is getting boring without knowing anyone else who suffers from this condition.

do you do the west springfield coin show in massachusets?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be your friend. No charge, but... if you want to send money, my PayPal address is :

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 11:45AM

@Cameonut said:

SEVEN! Yikes. When I was a kid my small town had its own stamp and coin club. Now Mass. has 7 in the entire state? :o

I suppose online resources and forums might account for some of this change, but those numbers are troubling.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@Cameonut said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is helpful.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Try going to a Collectors Club of Boston or Boston Numismatic Society meeting. I left the area 15 years ago, but they were a good group. There is or was a very active club in Worcester, Massachusetts. They are less up scale than the previous two groups, but they had some active meetings when I lived in the area, which included a small scale bourse.

There’s two coin clubs in Boston? I’m surprised there’s enough membership base to support one.

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

@savitale said:

do you do the west springfield coin show in massachusets?

I’ve not been there. As a date/mintmark collector I usually leave shows empty handed so I don’t go often. But I could be persuaded.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:

@BillJones said:

There’s two coin clubs in Boston? I’m surprised there’s enough membership base to support one.

When I belonged to the clubs, there was a huge overlap in membership.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I,m just up the street from you in Maine.....500 miles north of boston

• Options
    ThecoinlectorThecoinlector Posts: 67
    edited July 31, 2018 7:31PM

Savitale is Fitchburg close enough? :p

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3 I like to be your coin friend but.........

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful, I have a friend at work who I share my silver coin with and he likes to drop them on the concrete to hear the sound it makes. :s They are basic silver so I don't try to ruin all his fun, I just play along.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in CT, so not too far away from your general area. I try to go to the Auburn, MA monthly coin show a few times a year, so I'll let you know the next time I go. Here is the website for that coin show: http://www.ebwpromotions.com/auburn/

I've never been to the West Springfield show that @johnny9434 mentioned, but another good show is the annual Mansfield Numismatic Society coin show in NE CT. It is one of the biggest in New England and I've made friends there and have met forum members there as well. http://www.mansfieldnumismaticsociety.org/coinshow.htm

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

I lived in the Boston area from 2005-2009 and belonged to both of these clubs. As @BillJones said, there was a lot of membership overlap. They also have a Currency Club, but that was not my collecting interest.

The members were very welcoming and there are a number of extremely knowledgeable people. I've been gone for awhile, but I still send in my dues to the BNS every year.

No meetings in the summer. I think they start again in September. Both clubs meet in Waltham.

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file