Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does your coin show "Wantlist" look like?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I just write down everything that comes to my mind no matter where I am or what I am doing. So far mine for next month are written on the back of the bourse map, a receipt from the local grocery store, a napkin and several of my business cards. Hopefully I will be able to consolidate them all into one neat and easy to decipher spread sheet in the next 3 weeks! Lol

Comments

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fairly skinny these days. I am studying up on the Roman Emperors as my next possible project. It could result in another “bullet book” that I am posting in the Foreign and Ancient section for the British kings.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

On something like this, my smartphone is my friend.
    I use One Note to keep all my lists and data I need to access quickly. Is seamless with my tablets and PCs too.

What's on my list?
    Certain dates of neutron irradiated encased dimes
    List of Capped Bust Halves
    A few type items

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If it's important, you can put it in a spreadsheet!" (Words to live by....and often teased about by my wife). :)

I have Excel lists of any set I'm working on, have worked on, or am thinking of working on. It contains not only what I NEED, but what I HAVE....in case the wild urge to upgrade strikes me. It includes (relatively) recent prices for the grade I desire, as well as one step up and one step down.

The spreadsheet(s) are loaded up to Google Drive, where I can access it from my phone.

Yeah....I could probably get by with a much shorter list of my ACTIVE wants....but I like having more information than necessary.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a spreadsheet going for my 7070... I'm still about 30 coins short.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be beneficial to all if such a list could be compiled and then be accessible to dealers for the current upcoming coin shows. Perhaps might make them bring material not originally planned for.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

My list is short and in my head.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking more towards the currency side !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

So that's what you collect @Timbuk3 !!! =)

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

I look for MS65BN, MS66BN lincolns, specifically:

1912-D
    1913-D
    1914-S
    1915-S
    1918-S
    1921-S
    1923-S
    1924-DS
    1925-DS

I know where many of these are right now, but they either dont fit my cost per niceness ratio that I always look for.

I am also on the look out for nice toners at shows. At the last show I picked up a number of early mint set coins. I'll be submitting some of the cents and nickels from them next week.

I also find myself gravitating toward keys and semi keys. I really like 14-D Lincolns in grades below XF.

David

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stuff that I'm looking for won't likely be found at a show but one can hope.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    It would be beneficial to all if such a list could be compiled and then be accessible to dealers for the current upcoming coin shows. Perhaps might make them bring material not originally planned for.
    Jim

You can do this with individual dealers. There is one outfit from the New England area that I'll likely contact prior to the next show. They have an online presence and indicated they would hold coins I'm interested in seeing in person while at the show. ...and I'm a small time collector in the greater scheme of things.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Lots and lots of spreadsheets.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Downgrades for lowball 50 piece commems set 33 that I don't have for the 144 lowball set

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 4:27PM

Very short list.

I'm just about finished upgrading my Morgan Dollar set, "again". (Third time in about 10 years) I still want the right looking 93S in 53 to 58 and possibly a 89CC in 55 to 58 and both must be PCGS slabbed and have CAC stickers. Other than that, I'm done for a while. Not saying I wouldn't buy more upgrades if they came along, but I'm just not looking for anything else now.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wantlist is just wanting to go to a coin show. It's been a very long time.

:(

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 4:50PM

I've never been to a coin show, but I have Apple Number's spreadsheets of all of my sets on my phone and iPad. What I have and what each one requires. That way I can check to see quickly. I think if I went to a coin show (maybe the Long Beach show in September?!) I'd probably be on the hunt for Indian Head Cent PCGS in the MS-64BNish range. I have local shops that I can find normal pennies and type coins for my folder albums, but the pickings are slim for nice slabbed Indian cents

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a graded type set including gold. I don't have a list right now, but I only have 9 pieces at this time of the nearly 100 that I will need. I have photos on my phone of the 9 coins that I have and use that for reference. I am going to try and make a list for at least the gold pieces before the next show. The list will included recent prices in a small range of grades, so I will have an idea of what I should be paying for the pieces.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m on the lookout for gem BN copper large cents, Lincolns, conders, civil war tokens, anything foreign that is interesting. Medals, specifically art nouveau designs, militaria, anything edgy like hang man tokens or skulls.
    Shooting medals, multi talers, Geotz patterns
    Mining history related bullion in both gold and silver, Homestake or comstock related bullion.
    Open to new things, and someday a turban head goldpiece.

I guess that’s enough reason to attend any show.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.rips
    2.more of #1
    3.gem roosevelts
    4.minor type in vf or better for the capitol type holder

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    "If it's important, you can put it in a spreadsheet!" (Words to live by....and often teased about by my wife). :)

I have Excel lists of any set I'm working on, have worked on, or am thinking of working on. It contains not only what I NEED, but what I HAVE....in case the wild urge to upgrade strikes me. It includes (relatively) recent prices for the grade I desire, as well as one step up and one step down.

The spreadsheet(s) are loaded up to Google Drive, where I can access it from my phone.

Yeah....I could probably get by with a much shorter list of my ACTIVE wants....but I like having more information than necessary.

In addition to having my sets in google docs. I do carry a small pocket size notebook with my_ "active" _wants. I like the act of crossing something off when I get it. It has taken me a while to develop this system, and duplicates and upgrades that were not really upgrades were the results of less than my current state of organization.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used a list at shows when I was doing my CC Morgan set.. Other than that, most of the time I was only looking for one or two things or just whatever struck my fancy at the time. That is the way I shop now on the internet...just browse... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

....so GO already......Sometime Dr. just need to make time to have fun!
    Which one are you planning to attend? <3

@BryceM said:
    My wantlist is just wanting to go to a coin show. It's been a very long time.

:(

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, family stuff is taking priority right now. One of these days I'll jump over to a Long Beach show. That one is pretty easy to get to and reasonably nice.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my WANT list....and believe me I've gave myself sooo many early X-mas & B-day coin gifts from the start of the year :blush:

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Want list: :smiley:
    $3 Gold
    Type 2 Gold Dollar
    MS65-66 Saint Gaudens.
    1921 Peace Dollar MS63-64
    (all PCGS)

Donations welcome. :D

Wow, doing a gold type set now and I see we have the same list.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RWM Indeed! It's been fun so far. :)
    I didn't specify, but the T2 Dollar and $3 I'm aiming for AU58

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

What's in my sig-line and anything else that might strike my fancy . . .
    Planning to make Dalton next month and FUN in Jan.

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@halfhunter said:
    What's in my sig-line and anything else that might strike my fancy . . .
    Planning to make Dalton next month and FUN in Jan.

NIce! Dalton is the show I am prepping for! :)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

All R-5, R-6 and R-7 Bust half dollars.

Unattributed, of course

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file