Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Capital Plastics

Does Capital Plastics still make custom coin holders?

Comments

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a link to their website.....

http://www.capitalplastics.com/index.html

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    grayroadsgrayroads Posts: 211 ✭✭

Give it a try...anyway to determine if they still produce custom made holders.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure they do - not sure of cost involved.

Contact them with what you are interested in.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just a matter of drilling holes... contact customer service, they likely have the ability to make holders per customer request. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always found them attractive, and they present well.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tap Plastics will also custom make holders.
    I had them do one for a collection of French bronze medals I had.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Anyone have experience with Capital Plastics making custom made holders?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Well, I've been trying for the past two weeks. No response from e-mails or phone call messages!

• Options

Okiestacker on Instagram does custom holders if you are on that platform. I have never bought anything from him.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It is just a matter of drilling holes... contact customer service, they likely have the ability to make holders per customer request. Cheers, RickO

Any plastics fab shop can make them.

You could even DIY them. Ponoko does laser cutting on clear acrylic in addition to other materials. (Clear acrylic is difficult to laser cut). You can also do engraving on one side. Then you just need an ordinary screw tap for the screw holes.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss
    RickO!
    :'(

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to contact them regarding a holder for my 1900 year set. It’s got the gold denominations, all of the regular denominations and the Lafayette Dollar, all eleven coins. A designated holder would be a nice way to display them.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been years since I had a custom holder made from them. Even back then it was pricey and took nearly 3 months to finally obtain. They got bought out by a company called Jaco Plastics some time back so I can't say whether or not anything's changed. It appears from looking at the site they still do custom holders. These holders used to be all the rage for dressing up and showing off your stuff but they're gradually becoming passe' since the advent of TPGs-as much of the high end material is now encapsulated, and people assembling sets in the raw generally use albums. I guess their market niche has shrunk over time.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2023 9:26AM

@telephoto1 said:
    It's been years since I had a custom holder made from them. Even back then it was pricey and took nearly 3 months to finally obtain. They got bought out by a company called Jaco Plastics some time back so I can't say whether or not anything's changed. It appears from looking at the site they still do custom holders. These holders used to be all the rage for dressing up and showing off your stuff but they're gradually becoming passe' since the advent of TPGs-as much of the high end material is now encapsulated, and people assembling sets in the raw generally use albums. I guess their market niche has shrunk over time.

All of the above is definitely true, but I hope they can hang on until a potential resurgence of sorts might occur.

I still recall years ago when a friend and I both got proof sets for our birth year. Mine was in boring and cheesy OGP :D and his was in a sharp looking Capitol holder. (Of course, he just had to open his case up, and he dropped the cent; when he was fishing around on the floor for it he put a huge fingerprint on the obverse.)

Not every coin or token belongs in a slab.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't just a matter of drilling a hole in acrylic. There is a slight beveling that takes place to keep the coin somewhat in the center of the hole.
    I can see why it is a lot of work and somewhat expensive.

peacockcoins

• Options

@telephoto1 said:
    It's been years since I had a custom holder made from them.

Do you still have it?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    It isn't just a matter of drilling a hole in acrylic. There is a slight beveling that takes place to keep the coin somewhat in the center of the hole.

Capital Plastics holders worked well for large coins, but not that well for the small ones, like half dimes and silver three cent pieces. I used to order openings a little some and then had fit them with the adjustment tool they sold.

Before slabs, I had many custom Capital Plastics holders made.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@braddick said:

Do you still have them?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@BillJones said:

@braddick said:

Do you still have them?

No, when I moved to Florida, I donated them to my local club, the Collectors Club of Boston. I thought those guys could put them to better use. I had had all the coins there in them slabbed.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Okay, thanks Bill.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@braddick said:

Capital Plastics holders worked well for large coins, but not that well for the small ones, like half dimes and silver three cent pieces. I used to order openings a little some and then had fit them with the adjustment tool they sold.

This brings up a good point in general.
    Half dismes and 3c silvers don't fit well in Danscos either. They find their way between the cardboard and the plastic slide.
    It's annoying.
    The only album I've found that consistently holds these little coins in place is the Littleton line of deluxe albums.

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited October 30, 2023 8:30AM

@OAKSTAR said:

@telephoto1 said:
    It's been years since I had a custom holder made from them.

Do you still have it?

Yes. It was for something in my personal collection-an R-10 Civil War token.
    Edit to add... they screwed up the date. I chose to just live with it rather than spend the $ for another holder. (all custom work is nonreturnable/nonrefundable, or at least it was a couple of decades ago)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 - Can you post a picture of it?

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    @telephoto1 - Can you post a picture of it?

I'll need to dig it out of hiding, but sure. Used to belong to Steve Tanenbaum.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

Thanks. No rush.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of having one made for my bust half love tokens..
    One issue with CBH is that the diameter of individual coins can vary. I believe I've seen this addressed on the forum in regards to Capital holders, but not sure what the solution was?

• Options
    edited November 1, 2023 8:52PM

So I finally got through to a gentlemen (General Manager) at Capital Plastic.

Jaco Products & Monoco Inc.
    15060 Madison Road
    Middlefield, Ohio 44062

His answer: Yes, they can made a 5 coin holder for the 2019 & 2020 W quarter series and fabricate something like below. Only $175 each, with a $35.00 setup fee!! FORGET IT!!

I asked him why a holder like this wouldn't be part of or added to their inventory? His simple answer: Not enough interest.

He said I was the first person to ever ask for or request a holder like this. I was a bit surprised by that answer. I thought there were a lot of W quarters collectors out there, I guess not.

I should start a new thread to see how many members here would buy a 5 coins Capital W Quarter holder if they were available.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file