Home U.S. Coin Forum

McDonald's Big Mac coins

3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 11:12AM

The article by Mr. Tobin reads like it came from McDonald's marking department, complete with special sauce and pickle.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 6:24AM

I never cared for all of the "stuff" on the big mac...when I want a bacon cheese burger...that is all I want.

"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, shut up lady don't upset us, if you get my order wrong you can throw it away"

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they were not available until 2 August? Already selling/sold on ebay? Cheers, RickO

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

ricko
    I saw all of those and my first thought was "This is cheating". All the fun and excitement of the hunt for the full set is bypassed and missing. You are short changing yourself. But then I think of having to consume at least 5 of those over priced, over hyped burgers. My stomach does a little flip flop. Then "Ah, what the heck, use the drive through".

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    ricko
    I saw all of those and my first thought was "This is cheating". All the fun and excitement of the hunt for the full set is bypassed and missing. You are short changing yourself. But then I think of having to consume at least 5 of those over priced, over hyped burgers. My stomach does a little flip flop. Then "Ah, what the heck, use the drive through".

Given the low mintage (molding?), you'd probably have to eat 5 of them in a day.

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Osborne Coinage Co. from Ohio is producing them.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@ricko said:
    I thought they were not available until 2 August? Already selling/sold on ebay? Cheers, RickO

Corruption in Burgerville seems wide spread. Ronald would not be pleased.

Typical for McDonald's stuff.

I once needed a full set of happy meal toys (don't ask), so I went to ebay and there are sellers who had full sets of the things for sale.

They didn't come out of happy meals. I'm sure they fell off the back of a truck...

(I haven't had a big mac in a while... Seems a better buy than the Palladium Proof... :D )

Does anyone know if you get one with every Big Mac, or one per order?

I assume it's one per sandwich, but no one seems to have made this clear...

(I decided I'd have a couple of those two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun sliders today...)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

(I decided I'd have a couple of those two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun sliders today...)

You can always get in line a second time if it's one per visit rather than one per big mac purchased. McDonalds make out every time one of these tokens are saved rather that redeemed. Does anyone know what the expiration date is on these tokens?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

edited August 2, 2018 12:47AM

@PerryHall said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

You can always get in line a second time if it's one per visit rather than one per big mac purchased. McDonalds make out every time one of these tokens are saved rather that redeemed. Does anyone know what the expiration date is on these tokens?

LOL, I live near a college, and I think I have 5 McDonald's within a mile, mile and a half. I'd probably just go through another drive-thru...

According to what I've found, the coins will expire Dec 31, 2018.

They sold 1.3 million Big Macs last year, but are minting 6 millions coins, so these are going to be pretty plentiful. That $100 for a full set on eBay may be a bit optomistic. :)

I wonder what the redemption rate will be? (An aside, I knew a Disney Imagineer, and she found out that Disney Dollars had a redemption rate of about 90%. I was surprised it was that high...)

I did find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_NMnHxaZ4

(The tokens don't look that bad. Maybe the designers should get together and do the Innobucks... :D )

Terms & Conditions
    Coin is valid for one (1) free Big Mac on a future visit to a participating McDonald’s in the United States and other participating countries only. Visit playatmcd.com/BigMac50 for a list of participating countries. Expires 12/31/2018. One-time use. Not valid with any other offer, discount, coupon or combo meal. No cash value. Limit one free Big Mac per person per visit. Coin may not be auctioned, sold, or duplicated in any way. Valid when product served. May not be valid for custom orders. Void where prohibited.

How many different designs in a whole set? I wonder if any of the lower tier grading services will slab these.

@PerryHall said:
    How many different designs in a whole set? I wonder if any of the lower tier grading services will slab these.

5 designs, one for each decade of the Mac's existence. Which possibly means I could get a set before they cause all my arteries to harden up.

Wasn't there some slabbing service that would slab anything? I think they'd even slab chewed gum if it looked like a coin...

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce...."

"I want you to hold them between your knees!"

:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Wait five years, and you will have a selection of TPGs to choose from, maybe including a golden arch-themed slab.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@ricko said:

Corruption in Burgerville seems wide spread. Ronald would not be pleased.

Hamburgler though has a wry smile.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

_ Coin may not be auctioned, sold, or duplicated in any way_

Well, a quick scan of Ebay should get the crack team of Mayor McCheese lawyers moving.

If somebody really hates McDonald's is he an Arch Enemy?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, he has Fallen Arches.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

just we need, a food backed currency.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

They sold 1.3 million Big Macs last year, but are minting 6 millions coins, so these are going to be pretty plentiful. That $100 for a full set on eBay may be a bit optomistic. :)

Well when I look at Big Mac sales on the internet I see 1.5 million per day sold in the USA which is OVER 500 million a year. These coins may all be gone in a week!!?

https://www.reference.com/business-finance/many-big-macs-sold-daily-a9fc6463e6baa5c4?qo=contentSimilarQuestions#

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@PerryHall said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

LOL, I live near a college, and I think I have 5 McDonald's within a mile, mile and a half. I'd probably just go through another drive-thru...

According to what I've found, the coins will expire Dec 31, 2018.

I wonder what the redemption rate will be? (An aside, I knew a Disney Imagineer, and she found out that Disney Dollars had a redemption rate of about 90%. I was surprised it was that high...)

My internet search says 550 million Big Macs per year. So these coins won't last a week.

Flip a burger and flip a coin. What a deal.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this guy also got one. World record holder and a National Treasure in Wisconsin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSd2UASNzs

edited August 2, 2018 9:23AM

@Goldminers said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Well when I look at Big Mac sales on the internet I see 1.5 million per day sold in the USA which is OVER 500 million a year. These coins may all be gone in a week!!?

https://www.reference.com/business-finance/many-big-macs-sold-daily-a9fc6463e6baa5c4?qo=contentSimilarQuestions#

LOL, the article I read was per year, not per day...

So I'm told only one per PURCHASE. So I went to another drive thru and got a second.

If it's true it's one per purchase, then they may last longer than a week...

Got a 1988-1998 and a 2008-2018.

@PerryHall said:
    I just bought a Big Mac and I had to get the coin from the manager of the McDonalds that I went to. The "coin" has a reeded edge and appears to be made of brass or a base metal plated with brass.

Yeah, I was expecting a cheap base metal coin, but they seem more substantial than that.

Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating...

usatoday: McDonald's unveils MacCoin to celebrate Big Mac's 50th anniversary

McDonald’s sold 1.3 billion Big Macs last year, according to the chain.

Well, okay, it was USA Today...

@PerryHall said:
    I just bought a Big Mac and I had to get the coin from the manager of the McDonalds that I went to. The "coin" has a reeded edge and appears to be made of brass or a base metal plated with brass.

You had to ask for it? What did the counter minion say when you requested it?

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:

The first place I was at, I was handed the coin token by a manager with the food.
    The second place I was at, they cashier drone was absolutely clueless. I'm not even sure she knew the promotion was going on. I was finally given one by the manager.

(Manager seems to be the common thread...)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:

The first place I was at, I was handed the coin token by a manager with the food.
    The second place I was at, they cashier drone was absolutely clueless. I'm not even sure she knew the promotion was going on. I was finally given one by the manager.

(Manager seems to be the common thread...)

Interesting - I usually use the drive-thru but tonight I may have to go inside.

After all, these are essentially coupons good for a free Big Mac at a later date.

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:

The counter minion said that only the manager could give them out. The manager reached into her pants pocket and pulled one out to give to me. Apparently they are being careful that the employees don't help themselves to a fistful to pass out to their friends They're sealed in cellophane and have a small cardboard folder with information about the Big Mac. There are five designs---one for each decade of the Big Mac. The one I got was dated "1998-2008". You can find the complete sets on eBay if you want to see the various designs.

An investment coin
    this is sure to be
    the managers are keeping them
    it is easy to see

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

We got a call yesterday to see if we would slab them. :)

@Insider2 said:
    We got a call yesterday to see if we would slab them. :)

Well? Are going to slab them? ;):D

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course we are. I read somewhere that ICG has slabbed Cardboard Milk Bottle Caps in the past! AFAIK, tokens are done by all the TPGS's.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The milk bottle caps are called POGS..... And that was a big deal years ago.... Cheers, RickO

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

I heard a story on NPR just this morning about the Big Mac. They reported that 450 million Big Macs or something like that are sold every year.

@CaptHenway said:
    If somebody really hates McDonald's is he an Arch Enemy?

That is Golden, Capt --- truly Golden! :)

PS: "...appears to be made of brass or a base metal plated with brass."

Brass is a base metal. ;) Maybe they are made of solidified fryer grease?

• A McTrueView of the 50th anniversary Big Mac coin, “First Decade” variety (first day of issue). I limit my consumption of 100% Pure Beef to once a week to prevent McHeartDisease, and I figured I’d get a coin out of this week’s portion. If I to guess, I’d grade it MmmS67.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

@nencoin said:

I heard a story on NPR just this morning about the Big Mac. They reported that 450 million Big Macs or something like that are sold every year.

Yeah, my bad. My source that said 1.3M/year was USA Today. That is, my bad for reading a USA Today article...

I provided links about 10 posts above yours, so IT'S NOT MY FAULT! :D

Aaand Coin World has some info on these:

coinworld: McDonald’s celebrates Big Mac 50th anniversary with token promotion

The MacCoin tokens were struck at Osborne Coinage Co., the oldest private mint in the United States, located in Cincinnati.

Gibson Ollp, marketing manager for Osborne, said the tokens are struck on 1.25-inch brass planchets and bear a reeded edge. Equal mintages of each of the five tokens were produced, he said.

Phil Saken, communications and brand reputation manager in Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan for McDonald’s USA LLC, said each participating restaurant will be provided equal numbers of each of the five tokens and when the allotment for each restaurant is exhausted, the promotion will end.

While the program launches Aug. 2, the tokens won’t be redeemable until Aug. 3, Saken said. The tokens can be redeemed through Dec. 31.

The tokens will be for a one-time use only. Tokens that are redeemed will not be handed out to another customer, Saken said. Saken said McDonald’s has not yet decided what will happen with all of the redeemed tokens.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2018 12:27PM

Woo hoo! Got one. But you definitely have to ask for it. And just one per visit.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

The drive through near me has cars out all the way into the street for the past several hours, and the parking lot is full, and I expect a first day sell-out in many store locations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file