Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

McDonald's Big Mac coins

2»

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    A McTrueView of the 50th anniversary Big Mac coin, “First Decade” variety (first day of issue). I limit my consumption of 100% Pure Beef to once a week to prevent McHeartDisease, and I figured I’d get a coin out of this week’s portion. If I to guess, I’d grade it MmmS67.

How cool! And is that a DIE CRACK I see on the reverse through the N on the top?!? Already have varieties to hunt for!!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    A McTrueView of the 50th anniversary Big Mac coin, “First Decade” variety (first day of issue). I limit my consumption of 100% Pure Beef to once a week to prevent McHeartDisease, and I figured I’d get a coin out of this week’s portion. If I to guess, I’d grade it MmmS67.

Is that the "BigMac sauce toned variety" version of the coin above and below the 50?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pretty sure if they have any error or special token it will end up in the same friend and family program as the monopoly pieces.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2018 1:20PM

Technical question: Since Hebrew and Arabic are written right-to-left, are Big-Mac's served in Israel made upside down? What about the Palestinian version?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Technical question: Since Hebrew and Arabic are written right-to-left, are Big-Mac's served in Israel made upside down? What about the Palestinian version?

Are they even kosher? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2018 1:29PM

@COCollector said:
    Woo hoo! Got one. But you definitely have to ask for it. And just one per visit.

Depends on the store, I went to 3 today. I think all three are franchise owned by the same person. First one allowed me one, second had a limit of 3, third had a limit of 3. After two of the 3 purchases the person handing me my food read a spiel about how the big mac was 50 and in celebration here are blah, blah, blah and then handed me my three coins.

I have three big macs in the freezer, gave some away.
    EDIT
    Forgot to add that I didn't have to ask, they gave them to me without prodding and when I asked the manager at one of the stores she told me they got 250 at their location. Where I live it seemed business as usual with no longer lines than normal. I know that is not the case everywhere based on earlier posts. I will say, I like them and they seem to be minted well.

Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

??? Upside down? Where does that enter the equation (except maybe in Australia and China which are on the other side of the world)? The Israelis eat Big Macs right to left, just as the name is written.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOT MINE !!! Too bad it is for one person per order, per visit. I may have to go back multiple times today to see if I can get the other 4 different designs.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a 98-08 one. Seems quite weighty, not a cheap coin.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the 2008-2018 version here in Hawaii. I thought I could just buy the coin. No, I had to buy the burger...jeez, it sucked. I shoulda gave it away. Now I’m gonna be sick all day. The things I do for this hobby...

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I just went to investigate this phenomena.

No limit on MacCoins where I went. However they only had 4 of the five designs. And the most interesting thing is they opened every one they had first thing to look and confirm that only 4 kinds were sent to them.

Or conspiracy theory that the owner has a TPG connection and wanted to find perfect ones, or die cracks and varieties, to send in for grading early? LOL

So I order 4 Big Macs in one order and I am handed 4 different coins in a stack lying on this napkin for packaging!

I separated them for the picture but they were just a stack of 4. The original packaging was tossed out before I got there.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got the other 4! The McDonald’s I went to let me get them all in one order.

I ate two and there happened to be a homeless man standing next to me. I gave him the other two. I couldn’t be happier with how that turned out!

I have the full set now. Yay!

• Options

@jwitten said:
    How cool! And is that a DIE CRACK I see on the reverse through the N on the top?!? Already have varieties to hunt for!!

Good catch and yes, the one1968-78 flower coin I just received does indeed have the same distinct die crack through the N as mentioned above.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

No limit on MacCoins where I went. However they only had 4 of the five designs. And the most interesting thing is they opened every one they had first thing to look and confirm that only 4 kinds were sent to them.

I just had the same experience. I got the same 4 you did. The manager was really nice and let me search the box. I happen go walk in at a really slow time.

I think they intentionally made one of them hard to get.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Goldminers said:

I just had the same experience. I got the same 4 you did. The manager was really nice and let me search the box. I happen go walk in at a really slow time.

Yes, it is always something. I see some of the missing "millennial" decade versions +/- 1998-2008 went to Alaska, some others got full sets in different places, but even the manager I talked to was not happy that he could not get 5 different ones here at his own store, and even ones he checked with nearby, before they disappear.

They may not have been "randomly" distributed. Each version might be common one in some spots and missing in others.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's amusing to read the comments....not that I understand any of it. :)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@ms70 said:

@Goldminers said:

Yes, it is always something. I see some of the missing "millennial" decade versions +/- 1998-2008 went to Alaska, some others got full sets in different places, but even the manager I talked to was not happy that he could not get 5 different ones here at his own store, and even ones he checked with nearby, before they disappear.

They may not have been "randomly" distributed. Each version might be common one in some spots and missing in others.

It's their evil plot to get you coming back for the elusive one.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, got one 98-08, two 68-78s today at the Palmer AK store. Freely handing them out with any Big Mac purchase, but only 1 at a time. Fun gimmick. I see the 98-08's seem to be trending around $20 ea on the Bay.
    <erp>
    Gut bomb got me later, tho. Resorted to a Red Bull / Pepto-Bismol smoothie to survive the afternoon. Can't believe I used to eat two of these plus fries and a shake for lunch.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2018 6:40PM

@Akbeez said:
    Yeah, got one 98-08, two 68-78s today at the Palmer AK store. Freely handing them out with any Big Mac purchase, but only 1 at a time. Fun gimmick. I see the 98-08's seem to be trending around $20 ea on the Bay.
    <erp>
    Gut bomb got me later, tho. Resorted to a Red Bull / Pepto-Bismol smoothie to survive the afternoon. Can't believe I used to eat two of these plus fries and a shake for lunch.

It figures they send a lot of the ones I need to Alaska. I brought 4 of the other versions home; first 4 McD Mac's I bought in maybe 40 years.

Wife took a couple bites and said she would not eat them. It is the last one I will buy. I have to admit the Whopper is just way better, IMHO.

Next time will get the grandkids to buy the McD burgers, and give me the coins.

• Options

I think when the next hard recession hits, people are going to use up the majority of these coins for their Big Macs. Might be worth holding onto.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2018 7:19PM

Edited to state the McD coins are not exchangeable for a Big Mac past 2018 year end.

And also say if I was CEO of Burger King, I would offer to accept these McD BigMac coins the next month for a free Whopper and get blown away by the new customers. Then they can sell the silly McD coins on the internet they receive and make money. Cheap advertising on the media. LOL

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@from_here_to_brazil said:
    I think when the next hard recession hits, people are going to use up the majority of these coins for their Big Macs. Might be worth holding onto.

Only if that recession hits before the end of the year, when these tokens expire

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

_Only if that recession hits before the end of the year, when these tokens expire _

Yeah, that recession is going to have to happen awful fast. :D

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I asked for a stripped down version of a Mac...2 burgers and cheese...no condiments..... they balked saying that wasnt a Mac but relented and gave me a coin

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put my 98-08 on the bay last night - up to $15.50 within a few hours.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen them go for around $30 each.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file