Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone use copper bullion for wealth retention , preservation,are just to own some copper?

2»

Comments

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

The 1982 can be either Cu or Zn. 1981 and before are all Cu, 1983 and later are all Zn.

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Idk if you guys have the same problem but every single time I go to type in a statement or sentence, there is always a "draft saved" bubble pop up?! Very annoying

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@element159 said:
    The weights that I measure:
    Copper (bronze) cents: 3.1 g
    Copper-plated zinc cents: 2.5 g
    Myself, I save the 1982 cents into a separate pile, then eventually get out the scale and identify the copper ones by weight.

You are correct....I had my scale set at dwt & not grams B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    dimebagdimebag Posts: 108 ✭✭

i read that some are predicting that copper will be the next silver & has increased 390% while silver only increased 185% & gold only 150% anyone care to comment ?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dump my change into a jar at the end of the night to be returned to the bank every few months. But I sort out and keep the pre `82 cents. Have for a decade or so.

There is an opportunity cost to doing this.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    I dump my change into a jar at the end of the night to be returned to the bank every few months. But I sort out and keep the pre `82 cents. Have for a decade or so.

I hoard opportunity costs B)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the current melt value of a pre-1982 cent? Anyone know?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1 face value = $1.75 Base Metal

Coin Melt Value Calculation
    Generated on December 8, 2019.

Values Used:
    Total Face Value: $1
    Coin Type: 1909-1982 Lincoln Copper Cent
    Copper Price: $2.6321 / pound
    Zinc Price: $1.0229 / pound

Answer:
    Total melt value is $1.75.

Statistics:
    » There are 0.6514 pounds of copper and 0.0343 pounds of zinc in $1 face value of copper cent(s).

» A roll of copper cent(s) has 50 coins and is valued at $0.87 when copper is at $2.6321 / lb and zinc at $1.0229 / lb (exact value is $0.87475020725605).

from http://www.coinflation.com/coins/basemetal_calc.php

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Thanks. This is what I wanted to know. Since the copper is alloyed in pre-1982 cents, one would have to factor in the cost of refining the copper.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper story. I had to clean out a storage unit of a company was sold with left over inventory. My compensation was to be from selling off the inventory and at the scrap yard. It was mostly iron and aluminum bars, sheets and plates used in manufacturing heavy testing equipment for air craft and space crafts ( yes NASA ). Anyway, I was getting ready to load the last of the scrap iron squirreled way in the back to the recycler. Then I noticed upon closer inspection this was not rust colored patina on red iron. It was all copper! 2" thick plates. 100's and 100's of pounds. Sold when copper was in the mid $3's. :)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

The opportunity cost is the % interest rate loss of not having the cents in a CD with a decent rate.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dimebag said:
    i read that some are predicting that copper will be the next silver & has increased 390% while silver only increased 185% & gold only 150% anyone care to comment ?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1029149/pre-1982-copper-cents-how-best-to-dispose-of

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@Weiss said:

The opportunity cost is the % interest rate loss of not having the cents in a CD with a decent rate.

Exactly. Or for those who are more aggressive, the stock market. As with bullion, copper doesn't pay a dividend.
    The key is follow-through. Would you really invest literally a few cents a day? Do you have that discipline?

I wouldn't. So I keep the copper cents.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

It has always bothered me a bit when I see people refer to "copper bullion" since there is no such thing. Any dictionary will tell you that the term "bullion" refers to gold, silver and other precious metals. Copper has never been a precious metal and never will be. :#

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

With copper at less than $3lb, a CU round is 19 cents worth of copper. A 1,000gr 'poured loaf' is about $7. Hardly worth paying a premium.
    Buss bar when available from a metal recycler seems like it has at least a small potential to turn a small profit on ebay. 70lbs in a lg Priority box costs you about $175 & $20 to ship. $350 retail to someone that needs it for something. Fabrication or jewelry or artwork?
    Buss bar is on ebay & the markup is self explanatory.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@Weiss said:

I hoard opportunity costs B) > @streeter said:

With copper at less than $3lb, a CU round is 19 cents worth of copper. A 1,000gr 'poured loaf' is about $7. Hardly worth paying a premium.
    Buss bar when available from a metal recycler seems like it has at least a small potential to turn a small profit on ebay. 70lbs in a lg Priority box costs you about $175 & $20 to ship. $350 retail to someone that needs it for something. Fabrication or jewelry or artwork?
    Buss bar is on ebay & the markup is self explanatory.

did you take a 5 year vacation from the forum?

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bronco good to see you. Partial reasons listed below in no particular order:
    *Spilled coffee on my laptop
    *Kept new laptop for biz & off line
    *Changed email service providers
    *Forgot password
    *I was very Annoyed that former grand poobah could spend soo much time out of country yet could find time to micromanage forum posters & stiffled open discussions.
    *Completely annoyed that newbies !!!! Polluted BST with inane comments & BST had no moderation so consequently became a wasteland. Furthermore, newbies joined the forum just to sell for free & some were fraudsters.
    Those are some of the reasons but not all. If I went further out to sea...the ice might get very thin😇

But I always lurked. Lol. I prefer to remain silent on some things but as I get older I have found that sometimes my patience wears a little thin. So, if I'm annoyed, my go to action is to walk away. PCGS seems to be straightening some things out a little. I responded to a post in the U.S. Coin Forum how to straighten out my log in. Here I am. Never been banned.

*Coin World advertiser since 1961.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019 6:22AM

Johnny Carson & Jack Webb - "The Copper Clapper Caper" (starts @ 2:45)

https://youtu.be/xAutKZtEibc

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Yes. That Jack Webb routine came to mind with all this copper talk. You must be really old too.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only copper I own is in under the slab of my house. . .and it's been nothing but trouble.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options

@derryb said:
    The only copper I own is in under the slab of my house. . .and it's been nothing but trouble.

Is this a confession ?

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Carson/Webb skit is a classic. I laugh out loud every time I watch it. :D

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@derryb said:

Is this a confession ?

no, it's leaky plumbing.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that copper is industrial metal, and will never be a precious metal.

I would cash the copper in, and buy some silver.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@bronco2078 said:

@derryb said:

Is this a confession ?

no, it's leaky plumbing.

Two homes I re-routed the copper from under slab to over head in attic then down. Please avoid PEX in hot water lines. The plastic goes into the hot water. Did I say I love copper :)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions