Home Precious Metals
Options

pre-1982 copper cents... how best to dispose of?

Years ago, I put aside a sizeable number of pre-1982 copper cents. I've since lost interest and would like the storage space back. Selling on eBay is cumbersome and time consuming. Ignoring the financial loss (yes, many were purchased), I hate the idea of just redeeming at the bank, because I'm sure many people still collect these. Any better ideas?

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dumped thousands and thousands of mine into my no fee CU coin machine.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I dumped thousands and thousands of mine into my no fee CU coin machine.

There a collectors Universe coin machine?!? :D:D:D (JK)

That’s what I would do

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many are we talking? If it is a reasonable amount, put them up on the BST for face plus shipping and at least they may go to a collector. If they are too much to ship, take them to the bank as mentioned above.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinstar for 100% Amazon credit gives me the most favorable return. Any more time and effort at all makes my net negative, but if you enjoy handling thousands of pennies, then by all means mail them to someone.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely fill a small flat rate box and weight it, subtract the box weight and divide that number by 3.11grams to get the amount of pennies in a box, then offer here on Collectors Universe buyer pays shipping.

I'll buy a box or a few...

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return the little guys back into the wild.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

US Government allows melting down Silver coins but not copper.

I had the same affliction, I put aside pre-82' cents for past 30 years. I put them in old coffee cans labeled 60's, 70's, 80-81, and junk copper. Good luck. I have the same issue ;)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    US Government allows melting down Silver coins but not copper.

I had the same affliction, I put aside pre-82' cents for past 30 years. I put them in old coffee cans labeled 60's, 70's, 80-81, and junk copper. Good luck. I have the same issue ;)

it's actually cents and nickels except war nickels. war nickels can go.

and there is an export ban on nickels at least for quantities over a half a box or a box, too. coin elongation on miniscule scale is legal.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

make one of those youtube furnaces and melt them into bars

• Options

Ya don't tell me its illegal , :D , uncle sam can go pound sand

Everything is illegal now anyway

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Offer them for sale on the BST in various lot sizes...or let the buyers pick the lot size...just set reasonable prices and they pay shipping. Or, coinstar is your friend... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'm telling you , melt them and pour loaf bars and fools on ebay will snap them up. I know a guy that does it with copper pipe , he got sick of what scrap yards were paying him for copper so he watched youtube viedos of a guy who melted aluminum cans in a small forge and started doing it with copper. Pennies will melt just as easy as elbows and tees

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    I'm telling you , melt them and pour loaf bars and fools on ebay will snap them up. I know a guy that does it with copper pipe , he got sick of what scrap yards were paying him for copper so he watched youtube viedos of a guy who melted aluminum cans in a small forge and started doing it with copper. Pennies will melt just as easy as elbows and tees

That illegal!!!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Ya don't tell me its illegal , :D , uncle sam can go pound sand

Everything is illegal now anyway

hehehe Reminds me when I was traveling in France. Great people. If there was a law the people didn't like. They Ignored it.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions