Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error coin One Dime 19** (1900-1916) on nail (spike)

Hello,
I'm from Poland. I have a coin. One Dime 19**. What do you think about it?
Regards
dodeqpl

Comments

• Options

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake Nail -

They started coming out of China in less than
    45 days of the first one sold at the FUN
    Heritage auction about 3 years ago.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jinx.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

thank you :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you search closely you might find a "Made in China" marking. :p

As others have said, it is not real but it is still an interesting novelty (but I am not encouraging the counterfeiters to make more!).

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful. It would be interesting to test the composition of any coin struck on a nail to see if we could determine what company manufactured the nail. :)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this gimmick nail was done for what purpose? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    And this gimmick nail was done for what purpose? Peace Roy

Take a wild guess. I'll go first, perhaps a "rare and unusual" Mint error. I want one!

• Options

I'm not a nail expert, but that looks like a modern nail. I know that 100 years ago nails were already being machine made, but that thing looks like something you could buy at Home Depot today.

Also, if that was supposedly struck in the collar, wouldn't it be more bent?

• Options

In order to be a good counterfeiter, You need to know what you are doing. There are plenty of 19th and 20th Century structures where an old nail could be procured. The coin press is the "killer."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'm not a nail expert, but that looks like a modern nail. I know that 100 years ago nails were already being machine made, but that thing looks like something you could buy at Home Depot today.

Collars are typically mounted on springs which allow some give during error strikes to minimize damage to the machinery. A nail across the collar would push it down to the level of the anvil die, more or less.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Collars are typically mounted on springs which allow some give during error strikes to minimize damage to the machinery. A nail across the collar would push it down to the level of the anvil die, more or less.

Thx. I always wondered about that.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right after the real one’s story broke, these started popping up at aliexpress. Didn’t find that exact one in this lot, but scroll down, they offer many types.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/United-States-Of-America-Error-Coin-Of-The-A-Nail-Good-Creative-High-Quailty/32615826462.html

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 8:04AM

@dodeqpl....Welcome aboard.....China special... Probably a fake dime and not a period nail... double fake.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least they got the strike perfectly in the center of the nail.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Fake Nail -

They started coming out of China in less than
    45 days of the first one sold at the FUN
    Heritage auction about 3 years ago.

The coin is genuine, but the nail is fake?

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file