Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need a good tip to win in current HA Auction ends in 16 days. Kokua please share your experience.

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2018 9:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've done HA in the past but not as passionate to win until this very moment; so I read all the details pertaining to this auction style and my goodness I might miss a point to win. :'(

The listing's detail:
3 Signature Floor Session; Live Floor, Live Phone, Mail, Fax, Internet, HA Live.

Proxy bidding ends 10 minutes prior to the session start time.
Live Proxy bidding on HA Live start 24 hours before the Live session.

Can someone please share the simple tip in plain english on how to navigate this complex way of bidding? :(

Comments

• Options
    bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

To me it's just like ebay, log onto HA Live, put in the price that you are willing to pay at last second on HA Live.

• Options

How about those Proxy bids ?

• Options

:# I know at least a couple members who would easily won this over me :s

@JBK said:
    Tell us the lot # and how much you are willing to bid. >:);)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

On a coin I really want...It is best to be set up to bid live. Action is quick though so be on your toes.

• Options

...so it's similar to Maximum bid?

@Regulated said:

@Paradisefound said:

That is when you give HA online your bid prior to the sale, and they bid it for you. I've never had a problem with it, but if I really want an item, I leave the proxy bid and watch live, just in case.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:

@Paradisefound said:

That is when you give HA online your bid prior to the sale, and they bid it for you. I've never had a problem with it, but if I really want an item, I leave the proxy bid and watch live, just in case.

I am sure this is a good way to go, but just be sure you don't get carried away and big against yourself. I have seen that happen where a floor bidder was bidding against his own absentee bids. :o

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

I have had no problems with Heritage. I will place my bid a bit early to make sure that it is in their system. I have gotten stuff below my maximum bid, at my maximum bid, or not gotten the item.

• Options

Do you know what I want? ;)

@Smudge said:
    I think what you want is the worst kept secret on the boards B)

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 10:24AM

Figure out your maximum bid, bid 1.5x that and hope you win.

• Options

and factored in the 20% juice + 4% HI excise tax

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Figure out your maximum bid, bud 1.5x that and hope you win.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Do you know what I want? ;)

@Smudge said:
    I think what you want is the worst kept secret on the boards B)

Pretty good guess. Based on past interest shown. Shhhhhh.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had high bid ending the proxy portion of the auction only to have a "Live" bidder toss in a bid and win in the live portion. Very disappointing. You will want to be ready to watch that live section and bid obscene amounts of money to ensure a win! Don't worry about math, just hit bid repeatedly until it is beat into submission and you have gained compliance. Then you can worry about the invoice amount later :D

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proxy bids can be off-increment before the live session. That is, if you know about what it should go for, you can bid a bit over that without having to bid the full next increment or split. Then you can watch live just to make sure...

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hover over my freshly scotchguarded (drool-resistant) keyboard and wait it out in the live bidding.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the advice above is good. The goal is to lessen the emotional involvement that could lead to bidding over your max bid with fees and taxes added.

I know, the rush of excitement is part of the attraction. The auction house wants high bids and sets the atmosphere to play on your emotions. A proxy bid would be your buffer from over excitement. Your protection from over bidding.

How strong do you think the bidding on this coin will be? Is it widely sought? How much do you want it?

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 9:01PM

Somewhat widely sought and I want it very much to a point; up to way over melt :|
    It is hard for me to gauge the intensity of the bidding with 16 days left. I just want to be as ready ....
    Bid + Phone bidder 4
    Tracking 13

@Kudbegud said:
    All the advice above is good. The goal is to lessen the emotional involvement that could lead to bidding over your max bid with fees and taxes added.

I know, the rush of excitement is part of the attraction. The auction house wants high bids and sets the atmosphere to play on your emotions. A proxy bid would be your buffer from over excitement. Your protection from over bidding.

How strong do you think the bidding on this coin will be? Is it widely sought? How much do you want it?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@JBK said:

What is it???

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to many live auctions and seen - and even occasionally participated in - the frenzied and emotional bidding near the end. Good intentions and pre-determined limits have a way of going out the window as the bidding gets run up quickly. (Which is how the auctioneers want it to be). If you trust the proxy bid process then it might be best to do all your calculations in advance and settle on a top bid that you can submit while you are calm and collected. Then tune in live to watch the fun.

• Options

Don't let me snipe your tail :#

@Type2 said:

@Paradisefound said:

@JBK said:

What is it???

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

@Type2 said:

@Paradisefound said:

@JBK said:

What is it???

That's not my tail.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) If you're not looking at the coins yourself, get a lot consult from someone you trust before you consider a bid on anything.
    2) If you're looking at the cons yourself, get said lot consult anyway, for insurance.
    3) Figure out what you want to pay for the coin, factoring in all costs. Ask said person above for his / her opinion.
    4) If you bid, set it and forget it. Don't even look at the live auction.

Caveat: The first person to place a particular winning bid amount on a lot is supposed to win the lot. Once I did this, but the auction house sold the lot for the same price to floor bidder. Note, this was not Heritage.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Paradisefound said:

On a coin I really want...It is best to be set up to bid live. Action is quick though so be on your toes.

This!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 4:04PM

There is zero reason to bid on any basis until 61 minutes before the session opens except for Mail/Fax.

At that late point you would see the highest of the submitted "book" bids, which could be

1) an infrequently-occurring unmet reserve
    2) mail/fax
    3) highest current internet

Want to walk away or watch?
    Walk away? Internet 62 minutes before the session opens at your limit.
    Watch? Internet two increments below your limit and Heritage Live.

Live action, as it shows on the screen, is always affected by a combination of microsecond pluses and minuses based on faster trigger fingers and your own internet latency, and bids can come quicker than you might be able to keep up with, as in the time I blinked and clicked my cut bid of $1450 to gleefully see I'd bought the lot at $1550. HA Live gets 5 seconds grace for the next click, The podium will give the floor bidder all the time they want.

A typical bidding pattern I've seen for coins with a bullion base and a possible premium is a tortuous process of guys bidding 3 times very slowly to possible be perceived as hesitant when they might actually want to go another 2 more.

You adore the lot, and are self-aware, and Jones'ing now might indicate some predisposition to auction fever.
    Don't be a bidder. Be a buyer at your limit. It'll only happen if it was going to happen anyway. You have a priority over everything but Mail/Fax (which also includes floor bidders putting in bids and then sitting in the audience. I'm sure you can arrange with HA to put in a Mail/Fax tomorrow to beat out internet bidders.

Perhaps a few added nuances on queueing theory?

PASS
    KISS.
    Put in an maximum internet bid 63 minutes before the sale opens. Mail/Fax is open tomorrow morning in Dallas if you'd like a little more anxiety from minute #1.
    Want to watch? Click "disable bidding" so you're two clicks away from impulsivity's satisfaction instead of one.

Based on reports from an extraordinarily broad range of Forumites, abstinence seems to offer better odds of keeping twitchy fingers off the keyboard than the use of whatever.

Isn't it two weeks and two days? >:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you calculate the 17-1/2% buyers premium, the Hawaii GET tax at 4-1/2%, and shipping and insurance delivered to you !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options

@Timbuk3 said:
    Make sure you calculate the 17-1/2% buyers premium, the Hawaii GET tax at 4-1/2%, and shipping and insurance delivered to you !!! :s

It is now 20%.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set up live phone bidding and Heritage will call you a few lots ahead of your lot. Set your limit in your head and be firm. Heritage will have their representative be your voice at the auction.
    While you could do the same over the internet there could be glitches. Call me old fashioned. It worked for me and I bought my 93cc double eagle at the price that I expected.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 4:16PM

@BillJones is not your go-to guy if you want good value at auction because he gets outbid, it seems, quite a lot. :s
    If it's an 1877 20c, he has a nice one now from a Forumite and is no longer supporting the market, so their price is slipping in decent 64 and lower

-probably not flaggable as abuse ;) -

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

For high-value lots Heritage will do phone bidding, which means a representative at the auction will phone you a few minutes before your lot comes up and execute bids in your behalf real-time. I've done this for a couple of mission-critical coins that I just had to have.

I've also experienced the surprise of clicking at one value and being the winner bidder at four or five increments higher than I thought I was bidding. Sometimes the bids come in that quickly and a bit of Internet lag can kill you. The most common scenario for me is to just enter my maximum bid a few minutes early and watch it happen.

The problem is when there is a budget for one coin and there are multiple acceptable coins that come in quick succession. I've had this issue when a very nice set of Peace dollars came across the block. I could only afford one or two, but there were five or six very nice ones that were on my list. If you miss one lot, you have to be ready to bid live on the next one and it comes pretty quickly. Being VERY organized is you only hope in this situation.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set your max bid now including and account for the 20% and be done with it. Don’t get fancy

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Set your max bid now including and account for the 20% and be done with it. Don’t get fancy

m

That works for a conservative and well organized bidder like yourself. Half the fun of collecting for the rest of us is getting caught up in a "the hell with you, you are not getting it" frantic bidding session, where you wake up the next morning with a headache and hope that your home equity line will cover the purchase.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 5:11PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

That works for a conservative and well organized bidder like yourself. Half the fun of collecting for the rest of us is getting caught up in a "the hell with you, you are not getting it" frantic bidding session, where you wake up the next morning with a headache and hope that your home equity line will cover the purchase.

Oh I’ve been known to stray in the past. My max bids are seldom conservative but to your point they are well researched and I try to figure out what the hammer will be and try to get there first. Having either seen the coin myself or having someone with eyes on it for me that I trust goes a long way to formulating my bid. If I end up getting it cheaper then my max bid and it does happens then win win.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bid more than anyone else does.

+1.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    @BillJones is not your go-to guy if you want good value at auction because he gets outbid, it seems, quite a lot. :s
    If it's an 1877 20c, he has a nice one now from a Forumite and is no longer supporting the market, so their price is slipping in decent 64 and lower

I am too ignorant to understand this post. All I can is that when I bid, the prices frequently go to record levels.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2018 5:52PM

@BillJones said:

@ColonelJessup said:

I am too ignorant to understand this post. All I can is that when I bid, the prices frequently go to record levels.

You're just lucky you can grade well enough to avoid the "traps" :p Otherwise you wouldn't have a lot of coins that will work at CAC by accident :o

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 6:14PM

deleted

• Options

I am sure to find yours if I look hard enough..... >:)

@Type2 said:

@Paradisefound said:

@Type2 said:

@Paradisefound said:

@JBK said:

What is it???

That's not my tail.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 9:13PM

Hi there @Colonialcoin .... may I have the explanation of your 'disagree' given to me?
    I am talking to @Type2 and I am sure he can speak for himself beside the joke is between the two of us.
    Greatly appreciate you rescind it. Thank you!

@Paradisefound said:
    I am sure to find yours if I look hard enough..... >:)

@Type2 said:

@Paradisefound said:

@Type2 said:

@Paradisefound said:

@JBK said:

What is it???

That's not my tail.

• Options

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

BMM!

• Options

Bachelor of Mass Media?

@Coinstartled said:
    BMM!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, if it's a commemorative that borders on the widget category, I would bid and leave. Those are generally easier to buy at reasonable numbers at smaller auctions (HA auctions not tied to a major show). Unless it is rarity that is hard to acquire, I would not risk getting caught up in a bidding frenzy.

[Of course, it's your money, bid away if you wish!]

• Options

It's a big big gold :|@jmlanzaf otherwise I wouldn't go there :/
    I am not planning to get caught up in the big pond among the BIG FISH ;)

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

@Paradisefound said:

If it’s a non mint product with limited numismatic value (restrikes etc ) then you need to start at melt as a baseline and figure the premium from there

m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file