Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

F or VF Details on this 1808 Large Cent?

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am liking the Liberty headband and flowing hair. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many kids have taken pencil erasers to these. Nice to see one where that (mostly) didn't happen.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

vf

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

30+/35 details IMHO.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily VF details but hard to be sure because the focus and exposure of the photo is on the background and not on the surface of the coin itself.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears VF, though the pictures have a bit of fuzziness... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the coin has mild porosity and will not get a straight grade. There are EAC people who would tell you to treat that coin with some “CARE” or Blue Ribbon” to make it look sharper. The sharpness grade is VF.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with your F-VF wear assessment. I’m not sure that it will straight grade. There are some scratches at 11 o’clock on the obverse and a large scratch on the top of the turban. In addition the surfaces look quite grainy and it has this played with look. Probably been cleaned and recolored to hide the imperfections. This is a very difficult type to find pleasing but it can be done.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be very carful with this coin as "raw copper color" is visible and any rubbing will exasperate it. PM an EAC member and he may tell you how to improve the eye appeal. Without that, I'd leave it alone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file