Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unusual, CAC-approved toning on gold

ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

Apropos of a BST thread about an old commemorative coin up for auction. Here are a couple examples of toning on gold coins that has been CAC approved.

Feel free to share other examples.

Comments

• Options
    BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I have never seen that dark of toning on gold before but, I am relatively new to the hobby. That California eagle looks so odd I can't describe it but it is really funny to me.

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love old gold with that look. Great coins especially the California piece.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustyPotato said:
    I have never seen that dark of toning on gold before but, I am relatively new to the hobby. That California eagle looks so odd I can't describe it but it is really funny to me.

Stick around, you will. At least one member here collects them and posts his new purchases.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my experience smaller sized US gold typically tones in the fields with lighter areas around the devices (like the 1846 $5). On a few coins, like the territorial, the toning is inverse and surrounds the devices but not the fields. In discussing this with Doug Winter he called it "leather pouch" toning where the tannins in the pouch (or wood box, etc) is imparted to the surfaces of the coin in that pattern.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustyPotato said:
    ...That California eagle looks so odd I can't describe it but it is really funny to me.

That coin is a example of a pioneer/territorial gold piece (note MOFFAT&Co instead of LIBERTY). The design details and execution of these, in general, tend to be cruder than contemporary U. S. Mint products. And that is part of their charm.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paging @jwitten ...

BTW, I had this one that I was concerned about the toning on go gold cac:

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that rustic look, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about sending my cac 1908 $2 1/2 to pcgs. I hate losing the CAC, but I would rather have trueviews of it.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t like a lot of them, not a buyer sticker or not.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2018 9:09PM

@Regulated said:

@BustyPotato said:

Pioneer Gold like that often has a lot of silver in it, which will tone when exposed to the elements (or the inside of a leather pouch) - most advanced collectors of the series prefer the deeply toned, crusty look.

@jonruns said:

I was the guy who got that coin graded, if I'm not mistaken.

David doesn't gold mined in California have the tendency to tone a little on the red side on occasion?

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of coppery red and magenta, although blue, brown, and green can show up too. When it gets circulated, it tends to darken (especially with a nice coating of natural muck).

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    I've seen a lot of coppery red and magenta, although blue, brown, and green can show up too. When it gets circulated, it tends to darken (especially with a nice coating of natural muck).

I was having this very conversation with JD and Shamhart in Vegas last week. I couldn't take notes fast enough.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I've been having a lot of conversations like this with JD lately. It's always a pleasure. I'm happy he's on the West Coast now.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Regulated said:

@BustyPotato said:

Pioneer Gold like that often has a lot of silver in it, which will tone when exposed to the elements (or the inside of a leather pouch) - most advanced collectors of the series prefer the deeply toned, crusty look.

@jonruns said:

David doesn't gold mined in California have the tendency to tone a little on the red side on occasion?

mark

Gold from California sometimes has green tones due to the iridium, which was nearly impossible to remove at the time and in later years very cost prohibitive.

I'd love to know about reds.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:

It was originally graded NGC AU58 and sold by AU Capital Management to SteveBen....SteveBen crossed it to PCGS at AU55 and sold it to me by way of DWN...

It's funny the circular path that these coins take...I sold the 1850 Moffat in the original post (ex-RYK) to free up funds to purchase the Clark Gruber!!!

• Options

I would like to see RYK return to the Forum. A few others too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the comments on trace minerals (iridium, silver etc.) in the old California gold to be quite interesting...Although unlikely to happen, it would be great to see an XRF analysis of the metals in these coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 30, 2018 7:22AM

@Azurescens said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Regulated said:

@BustyPotato said:

@jonruns said:

mark

Gold from California sometimes has green tones due to the iridium, which was nearly impossible to remove at the time and in later years very cost prohibitive.

California gold had a higher concentration of copper vs the southern branch mints which contained higher silver which is what creates the greenish gold common to the early southern mints which used local gold.

Iridium was found in Dahlonega gold in the late 40’s to 50’s (per a great article by forum member @GeorgeKellogg). I have never heard of iridium in California gold. Iridium often comes from meteorites IIRC, much less so than in the earths crust, so bluish gold is actually made from space elements.

• Options

@jonruns said:

@Regulated said:

It was originally graded NGC AU58 and sold by AU Capital Management to SteveBen....SteveBen crossed it to PCGS at AU55 and sold it to me by way of DWN...

It's funny the circular path that these coins take...I sold the 1850 Moffat in the original post (ex-RYK) to free up funds to purchase the Clark Gruber!!!

I had one just like it in an NGC 58 holder the I crossed into a 30th anniversary slab when they were doing those...

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Iridium was found in Dahlonega gold in the late 40’s to 50’s (per a great article by forum member @GeorgeKellogg). I have never heard of iridium in California gold. Iridium often comes from meteorites IIRC, much less so than in the earths crust, so bluish gold is actually made from space elements.

Fred Holabird, the americana auctioneer and consulting mining geologist, told me that some California gold deposits do bear trace amounts of iridium and maybe other transition metals. If memory serves, it was in the gold found in some of the southern deposits. I have the notes from the conversation somewhere.

• Options

Hmm. Trace amounts of iridium, the bulk of which is associated with an ancient, mass extinction event on Earth. So, were dinosaurs trading gold just before kicking the bucket? Just trying to connect the dots. :p

• Options
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    This 1848-C $5 ex. Littlejohn has similar toning around the devices

LOVE the color on that one!

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:
    You can see dinosaurs trading gold at just about any coin show

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are!

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 4:53PM

@Boosibri said:

@Azurescens said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Regulated said:

@BustyPotato said:

@jonruns said:

mark

California gold had a higher concentration of copper vs the southern branch mints which contained higher silver which is what creates the greenish gold common to the early southern mints which used local gold.

I think you meant to say that S-mint gold coins have a higher concentration of copper vs. southern branch mint gold coins, which contain a higher silver content.

California mined gold, generally, was not as pure as southern gold. It had a higher silver content beyond alloy limits, which required the silver to be parted from the gold. Southern gold was very pure, which enabled the mints to bypass the parting of silver from gold, but resulted in gold coins that had as much as 5% silver content (1830's-1850's). This was quite fortuitous, as the branch mints were not adept at parting gold during the early years due to several production issues. I have done some recent archival research that supports the fact that in the early years at the branch mints southern gold was not parted of silver.

In the 1830's the Philadelphia mint had a policy of using an alloy of 2/3 copper to/1/3 silver. Later, after receipt of gold coin and bullion from the French Indemnity payments which influenced gold coin production in the U.S., and the passage of the Coinage Act of 1837, the mix changed to 70% copper and 30% silver. At the same time, the southern branch mints were manufacturing coins with about 5% silver. Fast forward into the 1850's and I believe that the alloy changed yet again to the favor of copper. I don't know the policy and procedure for S-mint gold alloy starting in the 50's, but my guess is that it was lock step with Philadelphia.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2018 4:52PM

@ranshdow said:
    You can see dinosaurs trading gold at just about any coin show

Well done! Looks like I became the straight man for a real comedian. :'(:p:p

• Options
    crump41crump41 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

Au50 CAC

• Options

@liefgold said:
    My most colorful gold toner:

Two questions, what grade is that and do you know what makes that metallic silver color? I've seen it before on some coins.

• Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two questions, what grade is that and do you know what makes that metallic silver color? I've seen it before on some coins.

The grade is MS64. I do not know what chemical causes that color. Others have mentioned iridium. This is the color in uncirculated condition. It darkens with wear.

liefgold
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite toned gold dollars.

or maybe this one:

one last dollar.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just love that Indian princess! Similar kady on some civil war tokens I have. Great array. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Those are sweet!!!

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was always curious about this one if anyone has any comments. ANACS called it a VF35 thoughts on what on earth is going on here?

• Options
    MoneyMonkey1MoneyMonkey1 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2018 11:20PM

I have had a few 1903 McKinley commemoratives with this silvery toning around the edge and the devices.

• Options

@MoneyMonkey1 said:

I have had a few 1903 McKinley commemoratives with this silvery toning around the edge and the devices.

I've seen that silver toning, I think it's cool looking!

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Good thread. Enjoy the pics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file