Home Precious Metals
Options

Question for those of you who collect silver

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it matter to you if it says 1 oz pure fine silver or if it just has a numerical dollar denomination? I have watched a few videos of people discussing the pros and cons of each. I realized after watching some of these that some of the people are preparing for a future event that may or may not happen in their lifetime. Just wanted to get some feedback from forum members.Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 10:11AM

Both are good.
    As long as you can tell what the silver content is for any given piece.
    That piece should be accepted when you go to hand it off to the next guy.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

one oz. silver maple
    one oz. silver eagle
    one oz. silver kanagroo

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    edited July 28, 2018 10:28AM

@derryb said:
    one oz. silver maple
    one oz. silver eagle
    one oz. silver kanagroo

I believe those 3 have both.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, but be careful, there's a lot of fakes out there !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stack the ASE's mainly. Some rounds and bars of special design of a special interest personally. The ASE's represent liquidity... and yes, there are fakes out there, so one must be cautious. I am sure the silver maple's would move easily as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stack what's most likely to be recognized and accepted by the largest groups of people, i.e. - Silver Eagles, and pre-1965 90% silver US coinage. Silver Maples and other official silver coinage would work too, but I try to stay with the coins that are most likely to be encountered. That way, more eyeballs will be focused on their authenticity.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I see a pattern here.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

@derryb said:
    one oz. silver maple
    one oz. silver eagle
    one oz. silver kanagroo

The ASE does not have ".999" on it - just "FINE SILVER". The ML says, ".9999" and the Kangaroo has ".999".

thefinn
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Fine silver on ASE =.999
    The .999 is good enough as pure silver any additional 9s is unnecessary IMO

• Options

@thefinn said:

@Hallco said:

@derryb said:
    one oz. silver maple
    one oz. silver eagle
    one oz. silver kanagroo

The ASE does not have ".999" on it - just "FINE SILVER". The ML says, ".9999" and the Kangaroo has ".999".

Just to be clear I wasn't talking about the difference between those. Lots of silver just does not have "1 Dollar" or "5 Dollars" or whatever denomination. The 3 the Derryb mentioned have both 1 oz and the dollar amount.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another tool in the toolbox.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's helpful to have the finesse on the coin, bar or round. Avoids confusion and time wasted in obtaining that info.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 1:23PM

@GRANDAM said:
    I like these:

These are waaaay cool :)

Hey GRANDAM, app how long did it take to put that together, which was the easiest, & which the toughest to acquire?

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 1:56PM

PS - are there any bars between 10oz & 20oz, and 20oz & 25oz?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually have (4) sets of the 1 oz thru 10 oz bars that I have worked on for 3 years but you can buy all of those right now if you wish.

The 20 oz bar is IMPOSSIBLE to find. The 20 oz bars have a population of less than 20 bars.

The 25 oz are a little easier but they are only sold thru AMPEX.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:
    PS - are there any bars between 10oz & 20oz, and 20oz & 25oz?

No.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Govt backed bullion is usually your safest bet for this type of situation. Although, generic rounds that have .999 or .999+ ,and even.9999 fine silver are acceptable. Depending on where you live in the world plays a factor too(somewhat). I live in the United states and make American Silver Eagkes the core of my stack. ASEs are widely known throughout the world and accepted almost everywhere. They are very reputable. I keep a lot of generic rounds to just for quick cash emergencies or just simply to get some xtra cash. Reputable rounds like Johnson Matthey and A-mark, Silverton (just to name a few) are also widely recognized as a reputable silver brand. It really boils down to what you like and what you want. In the end, if it's real silver ....you will have no problems selling it. I,myself, sell a few ounces of silver from time to time just to get my name out there as a trustworthy person. This will help in the future for when I want to either sell my stack or buy some more. Having a trustworthy name will help a lot.