Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dimitri

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

We hope you and your family and friends are doing okay... Prayers that things take a turn for the better in Greater Athens

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN I hope you and your family are okay--please post if you are able!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the concern guys. The fire destroyed 2 suburbs by the sea on the east side of greater Athens. I’m on the west side, dozens of miles away and yet the air was filled with smoke and there were ashes everywhere that were transported by air during that terrible night.

The most tragic image was of 23 people , that had formed a big circle ,each hugging the next, 30 meters from the sea, that had been blocked from every side. They were all found dead the next morning. Firemen and volunteers are still looking for 180 missing people......

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

:cry: How absolutely tragic :cry:
    Glad to hear you were spared the direct effect, but still so very sad.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

It is a national tragedy Cathy. A lot of people weren’t even residents of the area. They had simply gone there for the day (Sunday) , the hottest day of this summer with temps above 40 Celsius to refresh themselves with their families in the local beaches.

The fire found a way to go all the way to the sea in one of the two suburbs. Because of this, the beach sand became a death trap , the first victims of which were the people who tried to run on the sand with their flip flops, that melted immediately.

I’m afraid that the death toll is far higher: a lot of people in hospitals have lost the battle, due to age, or extent of their injuries, plus the huge number of missing people ..... There’s a lot of solidarity with each one of us trying to help anyway we can so many people who lost everything but I also hear about small incidents of looting.

It’s during extraordinary circumstances like this that each one of us shows his or her true colors.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

Very tragic. I read something about there being suspicion that multiple fires were set deliberately by criminals wanting to loot houses. If that is true then I hope karma strikes with Thor's hammer. Hoping for the best for you and your country <3

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry that this happened. Best wishes to all affected.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so sorry to hear this! :(

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a horrible tragedy. I'm glad you and the family are safe.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN let all your countrymen know we all are praying here in America for you.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear from you Dimitri. What I saw on the news here was horrible... And it was not really clear exactly where the rough areas were. We hope the situation improves. Our thoughts and sympathy to all those that have suffered through this tragedy

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad Dimitri is safe.
    It's so sad and tragic about his countrymen

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a sad disaster to happen to such a wonderful region. I visited Athens for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. I hope your family and friends remain safe!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

D
    Stay safe.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don