Home Sports Talk
Options

As of today, who is the greatest Philadelphia Eagle of all time ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reggie White

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Reggie White

m

Isn't Reggie a hybird? He was also a Packer.

• Options

It sure wasn't that QB who wore #5!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    It sure wasn't that QB who wore #5!

Donovan McNabb? He is their all time leader in quite a few of their team records. I was a big fan of Randall Cunningham back in the 80-90's.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chuck Bednarik. No doubt.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

All time? I’d say Chuck Bednarik

• Options

And after watching that video it amazes me that anyone can say there was a better RB. It’s honestly ridiculous

• Options

@perkdog said:
    And after watching that video it amazes me that anyone can say there was a better RB. It’s honestly ridiculous

There are clips just as good of Payton, Smith, Dorsett, Campbell and others. ;) Reggie White is not the only man to get faked out of his j-strap.

• Options

LOL Dime, I’m not basing it on that play and your 100% wrong about other RB’s having similar videos, yea they had great highlight runs but NOBODY had moves like Barry Sanders did. NOBODY

• Options

Keith Byers was a pretty good Eagle

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    LOL Dime, I’m not basing it on that play and your 100% wrong about other RB’s having similar videos, yea they had great highlight runs but NOBODY had moves like Barry Sanders did. NOBODY

@perkdog said:

Truth right there. He was the best.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Keith Byers was a pretty good Eagle

Byers was pathetic ……….. at least the year that I had him in a FBL. He avg about 1.5 yards a carry.

• Options

Ok whoever disagreed me then please step up and show me a guy with better moves. Seriously please show me

• Options

perk - me and you agree on a lot of things, but Sanders being the best RB is NOT one of them. He is not number 1 in anything. Smith has the most yards and Brown has the most YPC at 5.2. Maybe just maybe the reason Sanders had 5.0 is because he quit after 10 years. If he had played as many years as Smith I think the numbers would have been different.

You and Mark and Grote must be the founding members of the Barry Sanders Fan Club. :oB)

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 5:47PM

@perkdog said:

I love how the best Eagle thread ever turned into a Barry Sanders thread :D

Perk, as the video said every single of Sanders ten seasons was a masterpiece. Can’t sum it up any better. The Dimedude likes to forget Sanders retired at 30 after a monster season. Dimeman is the first to say the Cowboys would have won more Super Bowls if Jones didn’t mess things up. Or the Bulls would have won 2 more titles if Jordan wouldn’t have played baseball. But you will never hear him say that if Sanders would have played a few more seasons that he would be the all time leading rusher even with Smith padding his stats the last few years of his career. With the eye test Sanders was the best that I have ever seen. Never saw Brown play but Sanders dad said that Jim was better then Barry so I’ll leave it there.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2018 5:54PM

Ok Jon, thank you for the response but I was looking for video proof lol! Look I’m going to argue 2 football players as being the best ever at their position Tom Brady and Barry Sanders. Truthfully I shake my head when I try to wrap my head around anybody who argues that BUT I do understand the Joe Montana and Jim Brown/Emmitt/Payton thing to a point that I don’t think a person is not football smart over it. Steve likes Brown you like Emmitt I like Barry Sanders, none of us are losing with those picks regardless as it’s a matter of opinion but again I will always think I’m right, I mean we could grab a 30 pack and have this conversation and it wouldn’t end up in a fist fight because all players mentioned were great

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 5:58PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

There are clips just as good of Payton, Smith, Dorsett, Campbell and others. ;) Reggie White is not the only man to get faked out of his j-strap.

Dimeman is absolutely right. Posted below is a Jim Brown video.

What Sanders fans need to understand is that Brown would look even more devastating if there were all the additional close-up cameras that were around when Sanders played, showing every nuance of his moves. Brown had moves to, or he would just run over you...the defensive players picked their poison - LOL

https://youtu.be/b6cCXNBeVfc

Additional note: Second time I've posted an NFL video recently and it's been blocked, at least on my computer it is? Oh well, anyone can go to Youtube and see all the Jim Brown highlight videos.

• Options

Understood Mark!

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

Perk, as the video said every single of Sanders ten seasons was a masterpiece. Can’t sum it up any better. The Dimedude likes to forget Sanders retired at 30 after a monster season. Dimeman is the first to say the Cowboys would have won more Super Bowls if Jones didn’t mess things up. Or the Bulls would have won 2 more titles if Jordan wouldn’t have played baseball. But you will never hear him say that if Sanders would have played a few more seasons that he would be the all time leading rusher even with Smith padding his stats the last few years of his career. With the eye test Sanders was the best that I have ever seen. Never saw Brown play but Sanders dad said that Jim was better then Barry so I’ll leave it there.

mark

That video even said that Barry retired 1500 rushing yards short of Payton's career record at the time. Had Barry played another 4-5 years Emmitt would have been chasing Barry who could have finished with 20K+ rushing yards.

• Options

Man Jim Brown was the biggest player on the field in all those clips

m

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

mark

That video even said that Barry retired 1500 rushing yards short of Payton's career record at the time. Had Barry played another 4-5 years Emmitt would have been chasing Barry who could have finished with 20K+ rushing yards.

Barry wasn't about stats or awards or records. He was a humble humble man. His kid played flag football against my nephews. A very approaching dude

mar

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Ok Jon, thank you for the response but I was looking for video proof lol! Look I’m going to argue 2 football players as being the best ever at their position Tom Brady and Barry Sanders. Truthfully I shake my head when I try to wrap my head around anybody who argues that BUT I do understand the Joe Montana and Jim Brown/Emmitt/Payton thing to a point that I don’t think a person is not football smart over it. Steve likes Brown you like Emmitt I like Barry Sanders, none of us are losing with those picks regardless as it’s a matter of opinion but again I will always think I’m right, I mean we could grab a 30 pack and have this conversation and it wouldn’t end up in a fist fight because all players mentioned were great

Let's just leave it at that. Like you said all 3 were great. ;) If you are ever at FUN we (me, you and Mark) will have to meet and talk this over a few drinks! B)

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 6:08PM

Sanders did ok. 10 seasons. Ten pro bowls and he managed to do this:

Most Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10) tied with Walter Payton
    Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,100 or More Yards Rushing (10)
    Most Seasons, 1,300 or More Yards Rushing (9) tied with Walter Payton
    Most Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (7)
    Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,400 or More Yards Rushing (5) tied with Emmitt Smith, 1991–1995
    Most Seasons,1,500 or More Yards Rushing (5)
    Most Consecutive Seasons, 1,500 or More Yards Rushing (4)
    In 1997, he set an NFL record by rushing for at least 100 yards in 14 consecutive games and became only the third player to reach 2,000 yards in a single season. He shared the NFL MVP award with Brett Favre.
    During the final 14 games of the 1997 season Sanders rushed for exactly 2,000 yards on 310 carries (6.5 yd./carry), a figure which bears comparison with O.J. Simpson's 14-game mark of 2003 yards on 332 carries (6.0 yd./carry).
    Each of his 10 years from 1989 through 1998 he was first- or second-team All-Pro and selected to the Pro Bowl.
    Over his professional football career, he rushed for at least 100 yards in 76 games, just short of Walter Payton's 77 games and Emmitt Smith's 78 games.
    NFL record 25 games in which Sanders rushed for 150 yards or more. Jim Brown is second with 22 games.
    NFL record 46 games in which Sanders had 150 yards from scrimmage or more. Walter Payton is second with 45.
    15 career touchdown runs of 50 yards or more, most in NFL history. Jim Brown is second with 12.
    At the time of his retirement, Sanders' 15,269 career rushing yards placed him second behind Walter Payton's 16,726 yards. At Sanders' then-current yearly yardage pace, he would have eclipsed Payton within one or two years. Payton died from liver cancer at age 45 just months after Sanders' sudden retirement.
    His 18,190 career yards from scrimmage place him sixth on the all-time list.
    His career average of 5.0 yards per rushing attempt (min. 1500 att) is second all-time for running backs. Jim Brown is first with a 5.2 career average.
    His career rushing yards per game average of 99.8 yards is second in NFL history behind only Jim Brown's 104.3 yards per game.
    In 1999, he was ranked number 12 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranking Lions player and the third highest ranked running back, behind Jim Brown and Walter Payton.

PLUS HE WAS MUST SEE TV

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Man Jim Brown was the biggest player on the field in all those clips

m

Put him on the field in the 90’s and 00’s and he would be a big Running Back but not the biggest guy on the field, not the strongest and not the fastest. ( by a long shot ) remember he played against part time athletes

• Options

Greatest Eagles player for me has always been a tough call between Chuck Bednarik and Steve Van Buren.

I lean towards Bednarik if I'm forced to make a choice but I like them both equally.

I knew Steve personally in his older years. It's funny, but he would never talk pro football. He loved talking college football. That's when he talked at all because he never said much, basically a shy individual. However I never saw him turn down an autograph.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

How about Harold Carmichael?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Let's just leave it at that. Like you said all 3 were great. ;) If you are ever at FUN we (me, you and Mark) will have to meet and talk this over a few drinks! B)

Let’s all go on a canoe trip. I bet not all of us make it back

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

mark

What would it cost me to have you on my side?! B)

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

mark

Sounds like fun. I'll carry the bow and arrows, somebody else can bring the banjo.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

mark

Sounds like fun. I'll carry the bow and arrows, somebody else can bring the banjo.

Being the oldest of the three...…..I think I'll pass. ;)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have a sneaking suspicion that all of us hanging together would hands down be the weirdest f'ing experience of my life

like, i can see us at an adult establishment and all of a sudden a brouhaha breaks out, with the only audible words being "barry sanders"

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i have a sneaking suspicion that all of us hanging together would hands down be the weirdest f'ing experience of my life

like, i can see us at an adult establishment and all of a sudden a brouhaha breaks out, with the only audible words being "barry sanders"

Just put my beers on SteveK's tab. He's good for it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dawkins

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

Not to mention, how quickly.

Since geographic loyalty carries so much weight here...I vote for Nick Foles!

• Options
    edited July 25, 2018 2:55AM

@grote15 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Just put my beers on SteveK's tab. He's good for it.

I wouldn't mind putting the beers on my tab, but just don't try to include your bill for the lap dances. LOL

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

What Sanders fans need to understand is that Brown would look even more devastating if there were all the additional close-up cameras that were around when Sanders played, showing every nuance of his moves. Brown had moves to, or he would just run over you...the defensive players picked their poison - LOL

Additional note: Second time I've posted an NFL video recently and it's been blocked, at least on my computer it is? Oh well, anyone can go to Youtube and see all the Jim Brown highlight videos.

Thanks for posting! Have seen it before, but again amazed at Browns combination of strength and speed. Barry was amazing as well, Brown was better in my opinion.

For those that keep harping on how much bigger JB was than other players, he wasn't 4X bigger, yet it sometimes took that many to bring him down, AND it looks like he was almost as fast as anyone on the field to me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2018 9:51AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Thanks for posting! Have seen it before, but again amazed at Browns combination of strength and speed. Barry was amazing as well, Brown was better in my opinion.

For those that keep harping on how much bigger JB was than other players, he wasn't 4X bigger, yet it sometimes took that many to bring him down, AND it looks like he was almost as fast as anyone on the field to me.

The point that Perk keeps making and I subscribe to as well is that Brown played against smaller and vastly less talented defenses then the modern era. Many were part time players. The best athletes couldn’t afford to play football back then. It didn’t pay. For goddsake they used to smoke cigarettes on the sidelines. Bobby Layne was drunk during the games. I’m not saying they were less tough back then. I am saying they were less talented and less skilled. As Steve would say that can’t be debated. Case closed.

In the 90’s defeneses were geared to stop one thing. The run. No doubt Brown would still be a force in any era but would not be as dominate out of his. JMHO.

mark

• Options

I’m just glad that someone gets what I’m saying, thank you Mark.

• Options

Barry also had to play some killer NFC defenses during his career. The Giants,49ers,Cowboys,Bears,Vikings,Eagles,Skins & Saints all had really good defenses during that stretch and Sanders still got his yards.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

Watch what Barry Sanders does to the minister at 2:40 of this clip. Reggie has him all lined up, and then, oops. Start it at around 2:37.

When you want someone to look at something on youtube that happens on a certain point not at the beginning there is a simple way to link to it starting at the point you want people to see.

You can watch the video yourself and pause it right before the point , then click on the share arrow and it will put up a box with a link below that is a checkbox that says start at 2:40 .

If you check the box it will change the link by adding t=2m40 at the end of the link . You can also just add that to your link manually B) .

When I do it I'd probably say t=2m35 just so it doesn't happen instantly as the video begins but thats a personal preference

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2018 12:24PM

@galaxy27 said:

I think it would be like an old school miller lite commercial TASTES GREAT !!! LESS FILLING !!!!

I get to be boom boom I'm working on my Quebecois accent .

Dig out your plaid polyester sport coats everyone

• Options
  • Options

Forgot how to post videos but for those that remember the Miller light commercials they will surely remember the video I posted

• Options

Light beer tastes like chit. I can't stand light beer, won't drink it, so what do i care if it's less filling.

Gimme a full calorie Sam Adams beer every time. :)