Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(EDIT) Any info on this token? 1863 Civil War Token- DIE F-285A

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 23, 2018 7:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well I do believe I will dibble dabble in this as it seems quite interesting! My first purchase now :) it may not matter bc these were not struck at the mint but man is the reverse of this token way rotated bad. I did not show that in the pictures so I did not have to pay a doctors bill lolol
Untill I purchase a book online are there any good online references?

Well leave it up to me to assume and not give the picture I used as a reference online to be a different token -_-

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No information but I like the eagle.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice token.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bowers Books are easy to read
    A Guide Book of Civil War Tokens 2nd edition

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties, 6th Edition, Volume I

This is another book I think you should consider

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the references! I should buy a cherry pickers guide but just have not. Usually I am only looking for a specific number of varities or items when I go into a shop or anywhere with coins for that matter. Also for the comments. The eagle is what did it for me! I just need to stop procrastinating and get my books that I have put off for so long ordered :)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I like it !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018 10:28PM

OH-175-H What you have is a Civil War Store card. The reverse eagle die looks like the store card die 1178, or possible die 1180A. Its hard for me to tell as its late here but you can find it on page 355 of the official civil war token. The front is ascribed to the shop of W.K. Lanphear. Grocers, manufacturers of cracker and confectionery.

• Options

Also the die 285A combines with either the dies 0 and the die 519B. Pg 154 The Die 0 and 519 are both BLANK REVERSE The 519 is listed as a R-10. They do not list a R number on the 0 but its also very rare. So if you got the eagle with a blank reverse then you got a special token.

• Options

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Thank you for the references! I should buy a cherry pickers guide but just have not. Usually I am only looking for a specific number of varities or items when I go into a shop or anywhere with coins for that matter. Also for the comments. The eagle is what did it for me! I just need to stop procrastinating and get my books that I have put off for so long ordered :)

This is the book you want easy to use even some one like me .

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the Civil War Store Card book for the more advanced collector. It has a lot of interesting write-ups about a number of the merchants. Unfortunately it does not say much about Gorham Grocery Store.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2018 7:35PM

CWT = 175H-1a Rarity = R4 Reverse Die = 1178 Medal = C Edge = PL Price ? pg 498 United States Token 1700 - 1900 Author Russel Rulau

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file