Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please teach us about our find! Early 1900s coins.

OldfarmhouseOldfarmhouse Posts: 5
edited July 23, 2018 10:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi, I created an account in the hopes someone could tell me about the 3 coins we found while renovating our house. Middle is a Standing Liberty I think? It has no date and the hardest to research.

I don't know where to start... I don't have a trained eye and they all look alike to me. We are not interested in selling them, just trying to get information to document with the history of our home.

The house was built around 1909 and the coins were found under the original built in china cabinet (don't worry, we saved the cabinet but it had to be moved to another room).

I'm also assuming it would be bad to clean them for a better photo? Any tips would be appreciated! We are documenting everything to make a project book.

Thank you!

Answers

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum and please post the pictures

• I tried! They ended up as a comment that needs to be approved. Clearly I'm terrible at this... ugh. Thank you for responding.

• I figured it out. Kinda stumbled through this first post... pictures now attached to the original post.

• Yes, I don't want to sell them or melt them. We want to learn about them.

There is very little we've found in the house (and we've seen about every inch there is). I want to make a little write up to be displayed with them. It's helpful to know they aren't valuable. Now I don't have to worry about displaying them.

• Does that mean it would be ok to clean them?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were not put there when the house was built. Later dates. Why someone put them there or perhaps they just happened to roll behind (or under) over the years nobody knows. As mentioned they were coins that were being used in everyday commerce and are normal silver coins. They do have value as a silver coin (check coinflation for that) but not so much as collectable coins.

bob :)
    PS welcome

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dates don't add up. The dime looks like a 41. Could not have been there in 1909. Mercury dimes weren't minted until 1916. The quarter has the same problem. Must have rolled or been swept under there.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave them as is and welcome to the jungle. B)

• Don’t clean them! Leave them how they are. They’ll stay nicer that way.

I would suggest going to a library and looking at a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes welcome and they look like they where in a fire at one time, Yup in a fire maybe a they kept them as a keepsake.

Hoard the keys.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a metal detector and check the yard for a 1913 nickel.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

put them back under the cabinet.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldfarmhouse .....Welcome aboard... Nice old coins and a great find in your house. I would keep them 'as is' and mount them in a small display case with the story of how and where you found them. Cheers, RickO

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of the commercial where a person asks their neighbor if they know a good roofer and the neighbor replies yes and the person asking says ok can you do the research on them and get me three different quotes and have them here by Friday.

Please do my research on these coins and let me know everything about them. I'll be back tomorrow with half a dozen more for ya. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds, try soaking the coins in distilled water for a week or more to see if any soil falls away. Do not rub the coins. Pat with a qtip. Also try soaking them in mineral oil or olive oil, this might also loosen some of the ground debris. Pat with qtip. Enjoy them and the history of U.S.currency. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since they are common not high value coins try the following
    Soak they in mild dish soapy water for an hour or so
    Then rinse them in hot water and pat dry

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD around the house.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2018 3:10PM

Interesting finds. They appear to have survived a fire and not much will improve their appearance.

Show them off.
    Lance.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep them, nice story behind it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:06AM

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2018 4:46PM

Hard to say if they might have been lost at the same time or individually. Exactly where they were found may give you a clue as to this question. We can say that they look like they have spent some time together.

The black blotchy spots indicate that the coins have been stored together for a long period of time and is typical of coins kept in drawers or stored in contact with wood. Much of it is toning (tarnish), along with some possible corrosion or foreign material. Better to keep them "as found" as you can always clean them but once cleaned they can be uncleaned.

It looks like the Standing Liberty Quarter might have a digit or two of the date visible at the very bottom. The coin doesn't have much wear but the date is on a high point and tends to wear off quickly on coins dated 1924 and earlier. In From 1925-30 the date was lowered so that it wouldn't wear off so quickly. It also appears the have a "D" mintmark, indicating that it was made at Denver. Can you make out enough of the date to see what it is?

The wear on the 1941 dime suggests that it circulated for a few years and maybe was lost late 1940s-50s. A few very worn Barber quarters were still in circulation, and this may have been put aside around then as something unusual. Standing Liberty Quarters were also circulating widely in the 1930s and well into the 1940s, so 1940s-50s seems to be a decent guess as to when these coins might have been lost.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file