Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

should I? or should I not? what would you do?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

……and try to very slightly dip this coin with a watered down dip solution? or any other method?
Reason would be to get rid of the ugly spotty -blotchy appearance surface toning.
These are NOT milk spots or the very common black spots. It does have some nice underlying toning which I like to retain if possible. The coin looks great when in hand. However, when looked at it close-up, the blotches do show.
I tried Aceton with no results.
It has very nice luster and original details** (not "details"** as in impaired) grading IMO perhaps XF or better.
Any suggestion are appreciated.
Thank you guys.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

If it looks good in hand, I would leave it be. Just my humble opinion.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 3:31PM

If you can't leave it alone, sell it before you dip it.

Somebody else will be very pleased to own it, as is.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a coin is toned like that it is difficult to tell how it will look after a dip.

If you don't like it, just sell it as is. There is no point in keeping a coin you don't like.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

You stand little to gain and potentially a lot to lose by dipping it. It's a higher grade example of one of the more valuable dates of the series and with original surfaces. Personally would never advise anyone to risk cleaning such a coin unless absolutely necessary (like active corrosion or verdigris that can become permanent).

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good, I would leave as is.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are displeased with the look of it, I would sell it and find another. I don't think that a dip will remove all of the tarnish because some of it is deep in the surface, especially on the obverse. What you will probably get is the same toning pattern, somewhat diminished, and probably worse eye appeal.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue with dipping, even using a mild solution, is that the results cannot be targeted to only the spots that are bothering you. If you're set on getting those spots removed, I would reach out to NCS, as they would be able to spot-treat it. Again, you may not like the result afterwards.

Personally, i don't see anything that needs to be messed with on that coin.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you all for your suggestions.
    I appreciate everyone's opinion.
    I will leave it alone and not mess with it and perhaps look for another down the road.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

What 2K said.