Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any value to this?

Can someone please tell me is there any value to this octagonal 1854 California goldled piece with Indian head and 13 stars

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo please.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jlisalow said:
    Can someone please tell me is there any value to this octagonal 1854 California goldled piece with Indian head and 13 stars

Fractional gold if real. Lots of good fakes.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 4:28AM

If it has these design elements on it, it's probably not good:

• If there is only a fraction and not a monetary unit like "DOL," "DOLLAR" or "CENTS," it's a replica.
    • If there is a bear on on it, "beware."
    • If the word "EUREKA" is in the design.

These features are often seen on pieces that have very little value. When I was a young collector, pieces like this were sold for $2 at the Woolworth five and dime stores.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good tips by BillJones... however, you really need to post a picture - in focus - for solid guidance. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Below are photos of the piece the OP is asking about. I found these photos on the Q & A Forum with the OP's question "Is this worth anything?".

@Jlisalow I think you will need better photos to get any real advice on this piece.

Good luck. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

please lighten up the picture

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I see a bear. That's not good.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a replica or Token. Not much value. It has to say the fraction in words

.http://www.coastcoin.com/cc_shared/images/229/229817/229817-1SL.jpg

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jlisalow Answered in another forum:
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    July 20, 2018 1:17PM edited July 20, 2018 1:17PM

This looks like a copy of a gold charm. If it is the thickness of three pieces of paper it is probably contemporary. If it is much thicker, it is a "modern" replica.

• Options

So there’s no dol or cent,no
    No eureka no b ware so any value?thank you so much for your helpthank. thank you sooooo much1

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can just take a regular cellphon, light the coin, and stand above it without your shadow in the way. Set zoom anywhere between 2 and 4x and see which is best. Move your phone up and down vertically until it auto focuses properly. Too close and too far don't work. You can also tap the view finder to help focus.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file