Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay now charging if we don't "Allow buyers to make offers"??

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭

Just listed a couple items (not coins), and saw this at the bottom?? Listed with just a BIN price and no offer option.

Any idea how it "may apply"? Is eBay forcing us to list how they perceive is best?

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most people don't understand it anyway and assume that if you start out a listing at 9.99 you'll take $12 to end it early.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:
    Just listed a couple items (not coins), and saw this at the bottom?? Listed with just a BIN price and no offer option.

Any idea how it "may apply"? Is eBay forcing us to list how they perceive is best?

I don't take offers and I don't get charged.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    Most people don't understand it anyway and assume that if you start out a listing at 9.99 you'll take $12 to end it early.

Offers apply to BIN not auctions.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay loves me as twosides2acoin. My money's as good as theirs.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can only accept offers that are 1c less than listed price.
    I have not seen this yet but will be relisting a few items tommorow and will see I guess.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2018 10:24AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@clarkbar04 said:

Ebay's default auction setting is now for you to start an auction at your opening bid, and to have you accept offers you need to end it early. The OP is in reference to a BIN but obviously ebay is pushing the offer deal.

I've on ebay since 1999 so I am familiar with it.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    "perpetually relisted overpriced items that are clogging the system"

Succinctly put.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

dont they call that nickel and dime one to death? just wondering

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@clarkbar04 said:

Ebay's default auction setting is now for you to start an auction at your opening bid, and to have you accept offers you need to end it early. The OP is in reference to a BIN but obviously ebay is pushing the offer deal.

I've on ebay since 1999 so I am familiar with it.

I've been on eBay since 1997. Yay, us!

eBay has been experimenting with offers on auctions but it is not, at this writing, an option that I have control over.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen that yet.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have seen a larger adding "make offer" to their BIN listings, and this may be why.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accept offers and auto deny everything below list price minus $0.01 (although I personally like to see every offer).

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    What they are doing with what the OP had said is that, if you don't allow offers on BIN's they will charge you .35 cents for putting whatever it is your selling on a BIN option on the auction (just because they can just to make some more money from people because they don't profit enough as it is).

eBay is becoming or rather has pretty much become just an overpriced store for coins, bullion and currency. It used to be a lot of fun when eBay first began, was a true auction site for a few years until they really started to get greedy with their pricing on every little thing. It used to be fun when you could buy something and be able to make a little something off of it in just a couple of weeks turnaround. It's not true what people say about taking the chance on a true auction and then lose a lot of money because no one bid on your item and it sold at the .99 cents starting price, if you couldn't afford to lose money on the item, you didn't start it off at a low price. If you lost money on the items you put on auction, then maybe you shouldn't have been dealing on eBay because you could have started your item at whatever that item was going for at that time or had a reserve price on it if you couldn't take any kind of loss on it. eBay was supposed to be a place where you could sell items to make a "little" money on, kinda like a garage sale and not make a career out of it and overprice everything that you put on there in every auction, the way it is today. I've been dealing with eBay since they began back in 1995. It's very sad to remember how nice it was back then and then watching how they have changed to the way it is today, just another greedy company.

It would be really nice if someone would start a website like eBay was when they first started (wish I knew how to or knew how to code) and keep it that way and only raise prices because they have to pay for overhead and make some profits and not for greed like it is today.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased items on ebay since late '96....Never sold anything there .... Back in those days, ebay was a fun place...neat items, reasonable prices... scams were rare. It really was like a national garage sale...Now it is something entirely different. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay's corporate plan it to attempt to compete with Amazon.com and look-a-likes. On-line auctions are not where they want to go. Their latest revenue figures were down.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they start to do this, people will just list overpriced coins and auto-decline at their normally listed price.
    They're already adding offers to listings after you have created a listing with no offers.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Accept offers and auto deny everything below list price minus $0.01 (although I personally like to see every offer).

That might anger part of your buyers. Their perspective will be, "why bother with best offer if you're not going to allow offers."

• Options
    edited July 20, 2018 10:50AM

@jmlanzaf said:

eBay has been experimenting with offers on auctions but it is not, at this writing, an option that I have control over.

At least on my mobile app I have the option to disable offers on auctions. If you start an item out at 9.99 you will get offers for $12 even if it is a $70+ coin.

• Options

Ebay just gets worse and worse.

Everything, and I mean everything they do is to squeeze more money. Glad to see Wall Street just gave them a spanking but it will only make them worse..............

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    That's messed up lol.

At least you can use the auto decline feature.

I made 3 legit offers last night and all three were auto declined. If you are going to accept offers, at least look at them. I added the seller to my list and will now pass on all his stuff.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

At least on my mobile app I have the option to disable offers on auctions. If you start an item out at 9.99 you will get offers for $12 even if it is a $70+ coin.

Supposedly it's only on the stripped down listing tool.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    That's messed up lol.

I made 3 legit offers last night and all three were auto declined. If you are going to accept offers, at least look at them. I added the seller to my list and will now pass on all his stuff.

Why do I have to look at offers that are below the minimum that I would accept? I've already "looked" when I set the threshhold.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    That's messed up lol.

Why do I have to look at offers that are below the minimum that I would accept? I've already "looked" when I set the threshhold.

Then just use buy it now at your threshold. I am telling you, when buyers are auto declined it ticks them off. I used to just block the clowns that made stupid offers. Why not at least look and then counter with a reason why it should sell for that?

The whole make an offer thing is dumb to begin with. It is saying, hey, I'll take less.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the psychology of making the offer - If I have something for $200 or Best offer, you could conceivably lose the item if you make an offer and have to wait for a response than someone who really wants it an is wailing to pay full price / not risk the wait.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    It's the psychology of making the offer - If I have something for $200 or Best offer, you could conceivably lose the item if you make an offer and have to wait for a response than someone who really wants it an is wailing to pay full price / not risk the wait.

I hear ya, but this only happens when someone listed an item for too cheap to begin with.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    That's messed up lol.

Why do I have to look at offers that are below the minimum that I would accept? I've already "looked" when I set the threshhold.> @Wabbit2313 said:

Then just use buy it now at your threshold. I am telling you, when buyers are auto declined it ticks them off. I used to just block the clowns that made stupid offers. Why not at least look and then counter with a reason why it should sell for that?

The whole make an offer thing is dumb to begin with. It is saying, hey, I'll take less.

That's why I don't generally take offers. Very rarely I do. But you know the funny thing - reason #1458 why dealers drink - buyers send me offers anyway! Forcing me to write a polite refusal rather than just auto-declining.

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    That's messed up lol.

I mean, yeah, my threshold is typically 75% but when you get BS offers like this;

Yup! [Let's all take a drink...naw...CHUG!]

i LOVE when someone will email me to offer $10 to $12 each for my VG to VF Morgan dollars. I don't just refuse the offer, I block the bidder. Life is too short to respond to ridiculous offers every time someone wants to try to make a score on bullion.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used the best offer a few times. Most have accepted and some have countered that I accepted. Its just trying to save a few bucks. I never lowball as I know that's a useless attempt and will just p#@s off a seller that may have other items I'm interested in. What I don't like is offering a best offer but they never respond to he offer. I ain't afraid of the word NO, my mama told me no a lot growing up. Lol

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. It's always a mix and match. I've asked people if it's their best offer (especially if it's been sitting a month or two). Most people are receptive. It's the people who have BO and never respond that are the rudest.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 6:02AM

Not aware of this nor seen will check out.

Things I set up make offer set auto accept and auto reject. Where large profit margin set auto accept about 90 pct MV then if big range in area between that and auto decline may make counter offer if think offer too low. A ten percent discount off MV generous enough but may go to 15 pct. I want my profit!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@MANOFCOINS said:

@jmlanzaf said:

To open up negotiations and to sell your item.

With all due respect, when you offer $12 on bulk morgans, you are trying to take advantage of me and not "open negotiations". My threshold for automatic refusal on such items is set at legitimate dealer wholesale. I have NO interest in negotiating below that number because I can just flip it to another dealer at that number.

The offer tool allows automatic acceptance at a number and automatic rejection at a number. Let's say I list an item with $100 ask. If I set the refusal at $75, I will NOT negotiate below $75. If I set the automatic acceptance at $90, then I will accept anything above $90. The ONLY negotiation I will entertain is between $75 and $90.

Coins are largely commodities. They have clear wholesale values for dealer-to-dealer sales. If I were selling something less commoditized like stamps (where I'm more likely to use this) then negotiation is a tool. Anyone who negotiates a bag of 90% silver to below melt won't be in the coin business for long - although he'll have a legion of loyal followers.

I'd also suggest the broader consideration of the roots of this problem. If I have a $100 lot of silver with a wholesale value of $1050 and you offer $750 to "start negotiating" then one of two things is going on:
    1. I don't know the wholesale value of the silver in which case, if you do, you are clearly trying to take advantage of me.
    2. You don't know the wholesale value of the silver in which case negotiation will be difficult.
    3. I either stole the silver literally or figuratively. If my buy price is so far back of wholesale that I can sell it for $750, then I ripped off the little old lady who came in with her late husband's estate.

So, my transaction is either rooted in dishonesty or ignorance. In either case, my time is best spent elsewhere.

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:

@MANOFCOINS said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If you're offering half of what it's worth, that's not an opening salvo in negotiations, that's an opening insult.

Agree. Or (see above), it's just ignorance. In either case, negotiations border on the unethical. Either I'm negotiating from a position of absolute strength because of your ignorance or you are attempting to take advantage of what you hope is my perceived market ignorance, in which case you're a crook.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just slightly off-topic, but I have to laugh on these sellers that list an item at a super high price and include a 'make an offer' option, but also opt for the choice of 'declining an offer that's less than 10% of the starting bid'.

How in the world are they going to sell the coin??

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@FadeToBlack said:

If you're offering half of what it's worth, that's not an opening salvo in negotiations, that's an opening insult.

I have won many offers at half or less, but the fools had them priced way too high to begin with and I was able to negotiate. If you slam the door in my face right away, I just move on. (Auto decline)

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

Often I use FMV as a basis and am attracted to 'buy it now' offers. Yes generally 10 to 15 % back is accepted but there is no returns on those.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@FadeToBlack said:

I have won many offers at half or less, but the fools had them priced way too high to begin with and I was able to negotiate. If you slam the door in my face right away, I just move on. (Auto decline)

I agree, as I have won a few offers at a much lower price, due to some friendly and up-front communication with the seller.

But these other sellers with their sky high prices are a complete joke.

And let's not forget the very select few that think their coins are graded much higher than the TPG's.

That's always good for a laugh.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I've been using ebay for a little over a year now. So, I don't really have the "good ole days" mindset that many seem to express.
    Personally, I always start my listings a little bit high with a best offer option. This ensures I don't lose value off the starting line and allows me to gauge interest levels early on. It's almost comical watching some of the offers on coins which I know will sell at around retail. However, I've been relatively successful at doing the dance and finding numbers agreeable to both the buyer and myself. I also find it reassuring that the buyer is someone who is willing to invest a small amount of time, not just money, into a coin I found appealing for whatever reason. Thus, I know I'm putting the coin into a collector's hands who will most likely put it in their collection. I don't have to deal with the flipper crowd's shenanigans. Like others have said, if I want to dump coins at cut-rate prices I can remove a lot of risk by selling to an established dealer.
    I usually set auto decline at ~25% of BV. If a person makes an offer low enough to get hit with my automatic refusal, and they decide to walk away, then that isn't a customer I really want. (PS, I also automatically block buyers who have 3 or more unpaid items in the last xyz days- I ain't got time for that)

• Options

@mynamespat said:

I usually set auto decline at ~25% of BV. If a person makes an offer low enough to get hit with my automatic refusal, and they decide to walk away, then that isn't a customer I really want.

Funny, if you were selling Canadian coins (in our depressed market), nothing would ever sell at 25% off of book value.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 11:40AM

I used to put buyer that offer me half price on my coin to block list. That’s not the buyer I want. In fact, I always tell them to buy from china for a fake one for that price or less.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@FadeToBlack said:

@MANOFCOINS said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Agree. Or (see above), it's just ignorance. In either case, negotiations border on the unethical. Either I'm negotiating from a position of absolute strength because of your ignorance or you are attempting to take advantage of what you hope is my perceived market ignorance, in which case you're a crook.

If you think that everyone is out to attack your intelligence, then don't use the Best Offer addition. Have you ever haggled with a new car salesman to get the price lower? What's the difference. They have their bottom line just as you do! If you are pricing to take advantage of someone else's ignorance, that's completely a whole different matter of integrity.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay also push for free 30 days return. Ebay is getting worst and worst.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    huh... might cut back on the perpetually relisted overpriced items that are clogging the system.

There you go. Ebay has hundreds of thousands of listings because everything is overpriced and never sells. It is no longer an auction house, but a place where trash accumulates.

• Options

@MANOFCOINS said:

@jmlanzaf said:

So you are saying negotiations are unethical??? you do realize we live in a capitalistic society?

No, I'm saying negotiations have to be between equals. You cannot, for example, ethically negotiate with the mentally challenged. If someone offers me 50 cents for a dollar bill, that is NOT the prelude to an ethical negotiation. Either that person lacks the comprehension of what "dollar" means or that person thinks that I do. As a result, any resulting "negotiation" is really an attempt to exploit the disadvantage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file