Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay now charging if we don't "Allow buyers to make offers"??

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Often I use FMV as a basis and am attracted to 'buy it now' offers. Yes generally 10 to 15 % back is accepted but there is no returns on those.

There are ALWAYS return privileges. Just file SNAD.

• Options

@MANOFCOINS said:
    Where did I say low ball offers? Lazy sellers don't do well IMHO.

I wasn't suggesting that you specifically meant low ball offers. But Wabbit's original proposition was that buyers were ticked off by auto-decline. My point is that auto-decline is designed to eliminate the low ball offers - at least in my case. I can't, of course, speak to what others may be doing.

I'm also not sure why Wabbit thinks that I'm obligated to negotiate at all. If I have a fixed price and accept no offers, you can buy or you can pass. Refusal to negotiate isn't an insult, it's a strategy. My margins on coins are only about 10% to begin with for most items, what I'm negotiating away is a very modest profit.

Try negotiating on a loaf of bread next time you're in a grocery store. If they refuse to budge on the price, by all means leave and refuse to ever do business with them.

• Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@mynamespat said:

Funny, if you were selling Canadian coins (in our depressed market), nothing would ever sell at 25% off of book value.

Well, not if it was 25% off CANADIAN book value. :wink:

• Options

@bsshog40 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FadeToBlack said:

If you think that everyone is out to attack your intelligence, then don't use the Best Offer addition. Have you ever haggled with a new car salesman to get the price lower? What's the difference. They have their bottom line just as you do! If you are pricing to take advantage of someone else's ignorance, that's completely a whole different matter of integrity.

I usually don't use it for coins - but people STILL email me offers. LOL.

NOT EVERYONE is attacking my intelligence. But anyone who offers $12 on VF morgan dollars, or 8x face on 90% silver IS - or is ignorant. I left open both possibilities.

By the way, you may not be aware, but there are now auto dealers who do NOT negotiate price. There are also things called grocery stores that do not negotiate. Go on Amazon and use their "make an offer" button...oh, wait, they don't have one. Not everything is negotiable.

There are things I can and will negotiate on but there is a floor. There are things that I will not negotiate on. I'm not sure why anyone thinks it is a right to negotiate. If you don't like my price, you don't have to buy. If I don't want to negotiate, it is for plenty of good reasons that have nothing to do with you or my attitude towards you. Sometimes, there is no room - most coins have 10% margins as it is. Sometimes, there is a clear value. Sometimes it is a newp and I'm not in any hurry to move it. Sometimes I have a potential buyer who hasn't seen it yet.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2018 4:49PM

@bsshog40 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FadeToBlack said:

@MANOFCOINS said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If you are pricing to take advantage of someone else's ignorance, that's completely a whole different matter of integrity.

Actually, I said just the opposite of this. I neither want to be taken advantage of nor take advantage of anyone. My pricing has the slimmest margins on eBay.

Perfect example, just today. I have a lot of Canadian 80% silver dollars on eBay at auction. I paid 9x face, I listed them at 10x face which is barely above bullion despite the fact that they go back to the early 1950s. Someone emailed me to make me the generous offer - ON MY AUCTION - of 8x face. [And, of course, 8x face is net 7.2x face after eBay fees.] That was not the opening of a negotiation, that was a flat offer by someone who wants to scrap the silver at 9x face.

Oh, did I mention, it was an AUCTION.

And if my lot sells at 10x face, I'm going to net 9.1x face - and I paid 9x face. Sorry I tried to make a dime.

• Options

@jt88 said:
    Ebay also push for free 30 days return. Ebay is getting worst and worst.

eBay has ALWAYS had 90 day free returns. They just called it SNAD.

• Options

@ARCO said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    huh... might cut back on the perpetually relisted overpriced items that are clogging the system.

There you go. Ebay has hundreds of thousands of listings because everything is overpriced and never sells. It is no longer an auction house, but a place where trash accumulates.

Everything? Weird, I sold 4000 coins and stamps last year. I must be rich with all those overpriced items selling!

[I kid because I love... :smile: ]

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe ebay is charging a 35¢ fee if "best offer" isn't enabled.

From what I can tell there was a special, time-limited "promotion" involving 100 free listings that required activating best offers. If you didn't follow the promotion terms you were assessed a normal 35¢ listing fee.

But interesting discussions.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    I don't believe ebay is charging a 35¢ fee if "best offer" isn't enabled.

From what I can tell there was a special, time-limited "promotion" involving 100 free listings that required activating best offers. If you didn't follow the promotion terms you were assessed a normal 35¢ listing fee.

But interesting discussions.
    Lance.

That explains it. Yes, I had one of those promotions once.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bsshog40 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FadeToBlack said:

@MANOFCOINS said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If you are pricing to take advantage of someone else's ignorance, that's completely a whole different matter of integrity.

Actually, I said just the opposite of this. I neither want to be taken advantage of nor take advantage of anyone. My pricing has the slimmest margins on eBay.

Perfect example, just today. I have a lot of Canadian 80% silver dollars on eBay at auction. I paid 9x face, I listed them at 10x face which is barely above bullion despite the fact that they go back to the early 1950s. Someone emailed me to make me the generous offer - ON MY AUCTION - of 8x face. [And, of course, 8x face is net 7.2x face after eBay fees.] That was not the opening of a negotiation, that was a flat offer by someone who wants to scrap the silver at 9x face.

Oh, did I mention, it was an AUCTION.

And if my lot sells at 10x face, I'm going to net 9.1x face - and I paid 9x face. Sorry I tried to make a dime.

Hey if the items are priced right then there is no need for Best Offer. I presume that when someone has a best offer option, then they are willing to lower their price. In other words, I'm over-priced and I'll sell to whoever buys it or you can make an offer and I take what I think is a decent profit. You will always have lowballers but an auto decline fazes those people out. Lol

• Options

Hey if the items are priced right then there is no need for Best Offer. I presume that when someone has a best offer option, then they are willing to lower their price. In other words, I'm over-priced and I'll sell to whoever buys it or you can make an offer and I take what I think is a decent profit. You will always have lowballers but an auto decline fazes those people out. Lol

Yes, this is true. As I say, coins are commoditized with (usually) pretty clear market prices. Where negotiations are more helpful is for other collectibles with less clear values: vintage used toys, for example

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best Offer is fun. Auto decline is no fun.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

some buyer set the best offer but don't really mean it. That will only offend potential buyers. The list p0rice is 58 but it reject 56 offer. If you don't mean to take offer why bother to offer it.

• Options

@jt88 said:
    some buyer set the best offer but don't really mean it. That will only offend potential buyers. The list p0rice is 58 but it reject 56 offer. If you don't mean to take offer why bother to offer it.

Well, as this thread made clear, sometimes eBay insists that you enable "best offer" in order to get free listings! :smiley:

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think that’s the case I just relist some listing > @jmlanzaf said:

@jt88 said:

Well, as this thread made clear, sometimes eBay insists that you enable "best offer" in order to get free listings! :smiley:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jt88 said:

I don’t think that’s the case for everyone. I just relist some listing it never ask me to do that.

• Options

ean to take offer why bother to offer it.

I don’t think that’s the case for everyone. I just relist some listing it never ask me to do that.

Not your regular listings. eBay offered free bonus listings to some people, but you had to use Best Offers to get the promotional free listings.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

If my price isn't low enough, tire kickers have to find another one to kick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file