Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone interested in a very rare 1903 ASE?

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual & known to all, not my coin

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Mr. Spock stopped by the house a couple months with a couple of sets of blank ASE dies. We beamed up to the Enterprise and wiped though a black hole to 1906. There were we had George Morgan add the 1906 date to the dies and had few pieces struck for us to take home. Here is one of them.

Something went wrong on our trip back. We again landed in Philadelphia, this time in 1908. We didn't want to bother George, so we went to Charles Barber instead. He was unimpressed by the design. It too much like St. Gaudens' work to him. He had the coins struck though, just for us. I second trip on the time continuum and I was fortunate to get back to my own time with the coins in toe.

What do you guys think? Will PCGS certifiy these coins? They certainly are unusual. :o

Sure they will! I think every collector has dreamed of time travel and the possibilities.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 1908 is the rare variety with the reverse of 1907 and prior.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 2:54PM

Sigh. More cheap knock-offs/counterfeits...

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

+1

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care what date they are as long as they contain an ounce of silver. :D

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 5:14PM

@JBK said:

Don't hold your breath. You would be lucky if it was pewter or nickel instead of lead or some other cheap base metal.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2018 2:09AM

@JBK said:

They don't.

That is a slippery slope because back in the day, when there was a shortage of bullion related coins were in short supply, counterfeits with full weight and purity were acceptable. I don't think we as, collectors, want to go there.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

On some Chinese calendar this may be 1903.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adolph Weinman and John Mercanti were true visionaries. Are those patterns?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

And drop them on a hard surface - they go 'thunk'.... :D Where are these listed? Ebay? Such a shame... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

at least we know it, fwiw :/

• Options
    TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Finally ASEs have true key dates.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! That rarity would have completed the type set I saw for sale at a flea market in North Africa. That set even had the 1875 Washington quarter!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file