Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "Broken Sword" and other designs / patterns (Thank you Dan Carr)

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I really enjoy the Dan Carr Moonlight Mint 1918 "Broken Sword" Peace dollar design.

Very informative narrative on his website: http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-6-1-1-2.aspx

I would have preferred that design to what was minted. (And thank you Mr. Carr for such excellent work!)
Any patterns you would have preferred to what was used instead?

PS - here's a link to some** CRAZY **amazing eye candy: enjoy...
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/u-s-patterns/25

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too like the look of it, but the symbolism of the broken sword would not be welcome when so many people lost their lives in a global war. The U.S. wanted the world to know that they were on the "winning" side, even though the loss of life and limb was about equal no matter if you were in the Alliance or Etente.

thefinn
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The twenty cent piece might have had a slight chance of working if they had used a radically different design such as on the Sailor Head/Shield pattern.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The small dollar might have worked had it used the Gasparro design. (See www.smalldollars.com)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many feel the fundamental problem for acceptance of the small dollar coin was its close approximation of the size of a quarter. No design would have changed that. The vending machine industry defined the coin and the Mint/Treasury accepted their judgement. Gasparo's obverse and reverse designs are only fair plus the overall clarity and dynamism are weak. They are also consistent with Gasparro's other perfunctory work on the Ike dollar.

As for de Francisci's broken sword design, he had used this theme on medals. But no one in the approval chain asked about the sword - they all trusted the artist's judgement and that of Jim Fraser/ CFA. No one also questioned addition of "Peace" to the coin. This was not part of the original sketch models from de Francisci. Ex post facto letters from military officers indicate they were keenly aware of the sword problem but had not seen the design. In fact all public reaction was based on a description - no photos of the original reverse were ever published.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

twobit that is a stunning photo!

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

One of my favorite D.Carr strikes.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I like mine a lot. I also have the 1918 around here somewhere....

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

The small dollar might have worked if the committees involved had picked a design that was a bit more familiar and a bit more aesthetically pleasing. But they didn't.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the broken sword design, and with the Eagle standing on it, I feel it is a symbol of victory - the broken sword belonging to the vanquished. Definitely a misinterpretation by the public....Dan's coins are always great... Cheers,

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 1:08AM

@CaptHenway said:
    The small dollar might have worked had it used the Gasparro design. (See www.smalldollars.com)

Check out this thread for more:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/820813/frank-gasparro-1977-lady-liberty-dollar-pattern#latest

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 8:10AM

@ricko said:
    I like the broken sword design, and with the Eagle standing on it, I feel it is a symbol of victory - the broken sword belonging to the vanquished. Definitely a misinterpretation by the public....Dan's coins are always great... Cheers,

The Broken Sword Peace Dollar is beautifully done. I've recommended this as a starter piece since it's so well executed.

Of interest, the military was fine with the symbol of the broken sword later since it's on the WWII Victory Medal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file