Home Precious Metals
Options

CNBC . 130 billion dollars worth of gold may be discover off a of Russian warship ?

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 1:31PM

Well more fake news from the peacock guys. $130B worth of gold bullion weighs 7,000,000 pounds plus/minus, or 3500 tons. not the 200 tons quoted in the link.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 1:36PM

I don't think they have that much worth in 2018. Perhaps it a go around for the Sanctions. half goes to Russia.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 3:10PM

@Coinstartled said:
    Well more fake news from the peacock guys. $130B worth of gold bullion weighs 7,000,000 pounds plus/minus, or 3500 tons. not the 200 tons quoted in the link.

+1
    But, but, if it's reported on the web, it must be accurate ;)
    Or someone failed a basic math test. I'm coming up with approx $5.8 billion (200 tons)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I love these treasure stories, I will be amazed if there is any significant amount of gold... they did not pay crews in gold in those times... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    As much as I love these treasure stories, I will be amazed if there is any significant amount of gold... they did not pay crews in gold in those times... Cheers, RickO

I'm curious about the gold. The ship left the Mediterranean Sea bound for the Sea of Japan to service the Russian fleet. Supplies and fuel were to be purchased. Port fees needed payment. It may actually had a quantity of gold on board.

• Options

@drwstr123 said:

@ricko said:

I'm curious about the gold. The ship left the Mediterranean Sea bound for the Sea of Japan to service the Russian fleet. Supplies and fuel were to be purchased. Port fees needed payment. It may actually had a quantity of gold on board.

They also had an extra load of coal on board. This may turn out to be another wishful dream, just like last years: NAZI gold train hidden in one of the Polish mountains..

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Bullion and coins are at least 113 years old. Presumably more valuable than melt value. How much more would remain to be determined. Do coins / bullion from other shipwrecks sell at melt? The $130 billion is an estimate of the Korean salvage company. Who knows how accurate that is at this point. Also note that the ton unit mentioned is undoubtedly metric (2,200 pounds). The actual source of the story is The Telegraph in the UK.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:

@Coinstartled said:

Bullion and coins are at least 113 years old. Presumably more valuable than melt value. How much more would remain to be determined. Do coins / bullion from other shipwrecks sell at melt? The $130 billion is an estimate of the Korean salvage company. Who knows how accurate that is at this point. Also note that the ton unit mentioned is undoubtedly metric (2,200 pounds). The actual source of the story is The Telegraph in the UK.

Recent update from Reuters.

""SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean company that claimed to have found the wreck of a Russian warship holding $130 billion in gold said on Thursday it has not verified the existence of any gold, while a financial watchdog said it was probing possible unlawful stock trading.

Shinil Marine said last week it had discovered the wreck of the Dmitrii Donskoi, a Russian armored cruiser sunk in 1905 after fighting Japanese warships off South Korea’s Ulleung Island, and that a staggering 150 trillion won ($130 billion) of gold was on board.

However, the company backtracked on those claims on Thursday and apologized for having cited unverified news reports saying the ship held about 150 trillion won ($130 billion) worth of gold.

“The reports said the Donskoi held 200 tonnes of gold but that would only be 10 trillion won at current value,” said Shinil chief executive Choe Yong-seok.

“We apologize to the public for the irresponsible citation.”""

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the update. Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Dmitrii_Donskoi) mentions that this wreck was reportedly first discovered in 2001 by another Korean entity that went bankrupt. It will be interesting to say the least if anything is recovered from it. A hoard of Russian gold coins from the 1800's?

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Japan sunk it,,,,,,, I think they should get a cut ;)

It wouldn't be there now if they hadn't sunk it. ;)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This story seems to have died....Could indeed have been some hype to raise the stock... I will be very surprised if any significant amount of gold is recovered. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake news , nothing on CNBC is ever true , except by chance.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Fake news , nothing on CNBC is ever true , except by chance.

Suggest you read Coinstartled post, 4 posts above yours, before making a comment. I happen to like CNBC for the most part, because it's 90% business related. However, your comment is of base and has no validity.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

read coinstartled's post ? Said no one ever :D I guess there is a first time for everything. Also glicker seems to have quoted rueters not CNBC so ? ;)

Maybe I should watch CNBC for the awesome business news, think Cramer has any good stock tips? Or how about that panel show with all those foam at the mouth ponzi schemers that always seem to advise joe six pack to buy Tesla options ? Spread this straddle that blah blah ...... Wouldn't it be easier to just flush my money right down the toilet here at home ? I won't have to sit through 300 commercials at least.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    read coinstartled's post ? Said no one ever.

Gotta admit OPA, that is pretty funny.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear