Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are not a nice place

Frank

BHNC #203

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I live on the US/Canadian border and the local Walmart discounts canadian bills 16% and refuses all canadian coinage....they probably get 50 % of their business from canada

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    At least they were quarters and not pennies! :D

At flea markets and garage sales, I've occasionally had people offer two to five dollars in pennies as payment.

Best policy is to accept the pennies in a show of bravado, all without counting. At our garage sales, 90% of the stuff left over after the second day goes off to Goodwill or to the Sally before we shut the dang garage door.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 I would likely do the same, especially for under $5...

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Naulty told the outlet he was at the restaurant because he wanted to take the tips he earned as a server at Country Kitchen and treat his friends to a meal."

What cheap bastard leaves quarters as a tip? I haven't left change for a tip in twenty years. If he had been given a minimum of a dollar for a tip at his job, he wouldn't have had quarters to pay his bill at this restaurant.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 9:03AM

They should be so lucky the people paid.

If they don't accept US tender then they should just close the door.

Their profit margins are so thin they should just stick it where the sun don't shine.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been a slow news day. I’m not sure the local paper in my town of 7000 would have bothered with a story.

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget who ended up with those pennies...

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is legal tender so tough you know what. I roll up quarters and when I get a couple of rolls I trade them with the local jeweler for two dimes and an Eagle. Silver dimes and ASE.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would gladly accept the change at my part time job. Then place them in roll amount bags...after I browse through them.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked for a large retailer years ago and would have kids come in and buy game consoles with all their saved up dollar bills etc. I was glad they paid me in $1's because usually it was a huge hassle to get change from the cage.

I do pay in quarters for 7-11 stops - they like the change.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    "Naulty told the outlet he was at the restaurant because he wanted to take the tips he earned as a server at Country Kitchen and treat his friends to a meal."

What cheap bastard leaves quarters as a tip? I haven't left change for a tip in twenty years. If he had been given a minimum of a dollar for a tip at his job, he wouldn't have had quarters to pay his bill at this restaurant.

He did! But he wasn't cheap. They mentioned his mother, but not his father, so he may be an uncheap bastard.

thefinn
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

He did! But he wasn't cheap. They mentioned his mother, but not his father, so he may be an uncheap bastard.

I was referring to the folks tipping the boy at the Country Kitchen where he worked. The article claims this is why the boy had so many quarters to spend.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@thefinn said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

I was referring to the folks tipping the boy at the Country Kitchen where he worked. The article claims this is why the boy had so many quarters to spend.

I know. I read the story and the posts.

thefinn
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave change all the time
    From time to time I get change in change and mostly leave it so I might be one of those cheap bastards bsnasty is asking about
    :)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not good business practice or PR for the restaurant !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always have change in my pocket...and it grows, until I either unload it to the bedroom dresser (and after a few months, a ziploc bag), or when paying cash (frequently) I add a couple dollars in quarters.... I never tip in coins.... Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was in retail, I would have said something like “I don’t mind taking them this time, but next time could you please cash them in at a bank? Thanks!”

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

All my change gets saved up until I run it through the coin machine at the credit union. But, good for this kid. If I lived in the area I'd go there and pay in coins out of spite. >:)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pennies are Monnies too.....should've not complain when literally emptied his pocket ;)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember back in the very early 1960's when I went with my grandfather to a burger and ice cream joint. He would leave a dime for a tip!

In a retail gig we had a woman pay with all change when we opened at 8:02am. It was very convenient to load up registers that early in the day.

B)

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I think if I was the owner of this restaurant I would be very upset with the person who posted this for everyone to see. I can only imagine that the restaurant would take a little hit in business after this came out. I believe that they are lucky that the person paid in full and also left a decent tip instead of doing what some people do today and that is dine & dash, if that would have happened, they sure as heck would of been happy to had received quarters I bet and it could of been worse, it could have been done in pennies.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. My CU forum link pulled up Facebook. :D

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ParlousJoe said:
    I think if I was the owner of this restaurant I would be very upset with the person who posted this for everyone to see. I can only imagine that the restaurant would take a little hit in business after this came out.

I think I would send the person that posted that online packing, and their final pay would be in pennies.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Retired after 45 years in retail.Always needed coin to make change.Kept wrappers and rolled our own.Would have laughed it off :)

photo index.gif

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

@chumley said:
    I live on the US/Canadian border and the local Walmart discounts canadian bills 16% and refuses all canadian coinage....they probably get 50 % of their business from canada

If they're discounting at 16% from face, that's s good deal at current exchange rate

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Coinstar. I take hundreds of dollars in coins my coin sorter has rolled, crack them, and deposit. Then I choose an Amazon voucher at 100%. So easy.

Maybe I missed something valuable. I leave finding it to the young-un's with better eyes and time on their hands.
    Lance.

When I'm done with this next $500 of copper, I think I'm done CRH'ing. Better eyes and time is not something I have, especially when I get back to work.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file