Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What’s the best coin you have found in a coin roll?

Personally the best coin I ever found from a coin roll was most likely just a high grade wheat penny, but I am interested in what other people have found.

Comments

• Options
    ThecoinlectorThecoinlector Posts: 67
    edited July 17, 2018 5:10PM

Never mind please don’t answer unless you actually have a real answer I’m getting to many people saying I’m abusing

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

To keep it simple, the best roll find I never spent it.
    I do feel everyone deserves a chance, maybe even two.
    This is the internet after all, might be legit, if not it will become obvious.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never found a variety in a coin roll, the best I found since the '60s is some silver.

Now, back in the 60's when I was searching parking meter change, that is a whole different story.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

So how do you get good coins coins? I mostly just buy them and look through coin rolls, but I don’t own anything above 100$.

• Options
    KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

A few years back, I found a xf 1972-d "no FG" Kennedy half, got it slabbed and attributed by our host and sold it on eBay for a couple hundred dollars.... other than that all I have found is junk silver.

• Options

Your lucky compared to me. I only have a zinc 1982 penny with a large dat

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a local shop or two. Visit them, purchase items you find interesting, raw or slabbed.
    Start an album, Lincoln's, Jeffersons whatever you may like.
    Prior to purchasing raw coins I might suggest a book or two, one on grading one on values.
    If I might, you might want to limit your new discussions for a while and read the US Coin fourm.
    I have been here 10yrs, most of my time was spent reading and learning, I still have a long way to go...
    Steve~

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I've found a few proof Jeffersons and a few silver Jeffersons.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I salt rolls with proofs from time to time.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin in a roll, but coins in rolls.

About 5 rolls, virtually all 1943 steels.

Somebody had dumped their stash.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

1876 IHC in one of several rolls of pennies my friend's mom (who worked at a bank) brought home for me to search thru. This was back around 1973.

• Options

Nice find!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Girlfriend was going into her bank and I stayed in the car. Before she went in, I gave her a $10 and asked her to grab me a roll of Halves. I opened it in the car after she said "Why do you want a roll of halves for?". I pulled out of 1 roll a 1964 Kennedy, 1966 Kennedy and a 1962 Franklin. I smiled and said "That's why".

We decided to get a $500 box and pulled 1 1968-D Kennedy and nothing else.

Ya win some, ya lose some...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a 2016 struck over 2015 nickel, worth nearly $3000.

Also lots of silver war nickels and some dated buffaloes

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

1876 Prussia 2 Mark in a bag of halves. Not really valuable beyond silver but pretty cool to find.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

whelp, I once found a 64 kennedy at the end of a roll of halves. and the other roll was a full roll of bicentennial halves. that was a pretty good day

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the best coin found in a roll for me was a brown uncirculated 1909 Lincoln cent. Also found a 1921 dime in G in circulation.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a 1941 WLH in a roll of halves - all the rest were clad Kennedy's....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Back in the summer of 2000, with all the publicity for
    the Sac/Quarter Mules, my daughter planned on
    coming in the my office for the day, to help out,
    see what her Dad did there, etc.

In anticipation of her visit, I placed a genuine
    Sac/Mule $1 into a carefully opened Sac. Dollar
    Roll, closed it, and gave her 4 rolls to 'go thru' for
    the famous error.

She just about hyperventilated when she found
    the Mule in on of the rolls!

She still ribs me about it, whenever I tell my
    coin stories.

I guess it wasn't finders keepers! :o

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    In 1982, Tony Terranova bought the Eliasberg 1795 $10 (now MS65 NGC. At what IIRC was the Boston show a few weeks later, he has the coin in a flip in a hamburger bun and he's goofing with a few of us "1795 $10 in an original roll".

No ketchup, no mustard, maybe a little PVC from the flip. ;)

All in favor of acquainting the Colonel with tar and feathers, say AYE !!! >:)

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

1918 s SLQ in AU back in the days while roll searching for silver

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 10:38AM

@topstuf said:

@ColonelJessup said:
    In 1982, Tony Terranova bought the Eliasberg 1795 $10 (now MS65 NGC. At what IIRC was the Boston show a few weeks later, he has the coin in a flip in a hamburger bun and he's goofing with a few of us "1795 $10 in an original roll".

Tony sold it to Garry Fitzgerald and I went back seven years later and bought it from him raw. Online pictures available will show no occurrences of condiments, and natural PVC is usually distinguishable from doctored/altered surfaces on Early Gold.

I am taking back my LOL jumping past "disagree" and flagging you for making a terroristic threat

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

a 1911 s lincoln cent i got while roll hunting. id go xf 40 or so on that one

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@topstuf said:

@ColonelJessup said:

Tony sold it to Garry Fitzgerald and I went back seven years later and bought it from him raw. Online pictures available will show no occurrences of condiments, and natural PVC is usually distinguishable from doctored/altered surfaces on Early Gold.

I am taking back my LOL jumping past "disagree" and flagging you for making a terroristic threat

seriously?
    you really flagged him?
    It is obvious he was/is kidding

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

It will be obvious to the mods that we both are >:)

I used to "agree" with @insider2 when I disagreed with him because he valued the "disagrees" too highly. I can be mean and cruel if I choose to (as well as when not paying too close attention to whom I'm trolling).

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, approximately what year did you find the 12-D? Was it in a roll of Buffalo's or Jefferson's?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt asked: "You really flagged him? It is obvious he was/is kidding.

I just flagged the Colonel for Fun, then took it off. The mods have too much to do w/o games. I hope he saw it.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

1970-D Washington quarter dollar struck on dime thickness stock
    Rhode Island quarter with a huge blob on the reverse

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2018 3:33PM

@insider2 -
    I just flagged you for the same kind of abuse the mods know you flagged me for.
    I was torn between that and an agree :'(
    Some mods may not know much about coins themselves, but perhaps special-needs Forum participants provide some ridiculous insights into human nature. They've got you pegged as well-intentioned and harmless, despite your mendaciously-provided early evidence to the contrary. My seven-year-old grand-niece made an acute and very uncomplimentary observation about my behavior last night.

Neither of us will be bammed

There's not enough here to engage the mods besides @ricko's poetry. Let's keep telling ourselves we provide comic relief as a public service. If the mods don't strike me with lightning I must be speaking Truth.

Ummm, my new alt will be @OldFart. :*

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

So, approximately what year did you find the 12-D? Was it in a roll of Buffalo's or Jefferson's?

It looks like a 12-S to me.......

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

In the mid sixties I found an XF 1877 Indian cent.

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

A nice 1892-S $1 among about ten rolls of Morgans. Also an 1896-S and two 1899-S's. They all look like this.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a roll of BU 1964-D quarters, it wasn't but rather a roll of 1964 from Philadelphia. I found 13 type B reverses and sent in 3 best and got a couple MS65's and a MS66.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Treashunt asked: "You really flagged him? It is obvious he was/is kidding.

I just flagged the Colonel for Fun, then took it off. The mods have too much to do w/o games. I hope he saw it.

makes sense, but then someone flagged you.

[note: not me]

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    1983 1c DDR, later graded PCGS MS64RD:

That is cool!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

I'm still needing one of those. Nice find!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

now THAT is a double die!!

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1962 I bought a roll of dimes and every coin was silver.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

all from rolls of Kennedy Halves:
    -About ten 40% silvers
    -a 90% silver 1963-D Franklin
    -a 1987-P
    -two 1987-D

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once found a gorgeously toned 1824 Washington/Lafayette medalet in the bottom of a sandwich bag full of US90. It might not be the most valuable thing that I ever pulled out of a low end lot, but it was the coolest/rarest. Here is a terrible photo of it, which doesn't do the color justice:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

@rln_14 said:

@DCW said:

@rln_14 said:

@DCW said:

No, it is a doubled die.. :p

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2018 4:13PM

I've purchased many rolls of Mercury dimes over the years...I just stash them away...rarely do I check the dates. I once bought a small bag of them at a local show, and decided to look at them when I got home. It was nice bag, as they were mostly VF-XF examples. To my surprise I found a nice, original XF 1926-S in the bag. Had it certified by our host, and sold it on eBay. More than paid for the entire bag of circulated Mercs. Nice to win one once in awhile!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file