Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can someone recommend a good microscope for coin roll hunting and posting pics of my finds?

2»

Answers

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

You should not need to use a stereomicroscope for routine coin grading. Too much magnification is counterproductive.

+1

I agree!! I don’t ever recall a dealer at a show pulling out a stereo microscope from underneath his table to view one of my coins. ;)

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay cool, so if you want to can you zoom in to a really focused picture of just one letter the same size?

Thanks Logger. That may not be a bad place to start.

@Colonialcoin said:

@cameonut2011 said:

You should not need to use a stereomicroscope for routine coin grading. Too much magnification is counterproductive.

+1

I agree!! I don’t ever recall a dealer at a show pulling out a stereo microscope from underneath his table to view one of my coins. ;)

True, I can see enough through a loupe. I just want the ability to take an enlarged pic of said doubling so I confirm what my previously 20/20 eyes could do. And also able to post here for advice.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 12:16PM

Well thank you for bringing your post here. I ended up cancelling the order and bought direct from the company as the model with the 5 megabit camera, with software had bad reviews. They say the camera is junk.

Ended up buying the scope seperate. With and a 9.1 megabit camera w/ software, that has great review directly from the company at the discounted prices.

Please, lead the way :) This is why I havent bought yet. Too many mixed reviews.

@Kkathyl said:
    Good scopes are about 800 range used and up. If your going to hunt rolls consider the head gear glasses or get a travel mini scope for less then 100.00.

Good luck.

Thanks Kathy! Same to you :)

edited July 17, 2018 2:54PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Please, lead the way :) This is why I havent bought yet. Too many mixed reviews.

OK I got it set up I will post some pictures later but I did take a pic of the 2016 Tuvalu S50C. Its a graded NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo. Colorized Always Together dog coin I bought. It was 29 Megabits from the first digital snap shot. I downsized it. Still have to learn how to use the scope and digital 9.1 Megabit camera. The scope is a Amscope SM-4TZ-144 bought seperate. The MU900-CK camera and software worked perfectly. Like I said I just have to learn how to use it now along with the other 10 projects. Great, More stuff.

Coinscratch I spent a few hours figuring out this unit. Here is a 1863 Civil War coin. Then a close up

Holy smokes! I think I died and went to heaven... That thing is awesome and that has the ability I'm looking for but it may take finding a 92' close am to pay for it :) I have been slammed busy at work this week, which is good so I will be in the market very soon and referring back for more knowledge. Good Luck Ole' boy.

So yes I agree it’s a total over expenditure. But I budgeted in now I have it and will spend time learning on the art of grading. Which you all here are so talented. So far I did find there is another model which allows both eyes to focus on the coin. I was not Aware of this but It’s a small issue. If you want where you can look through both eyes that is a DIFFERENT model.
    Once again this was a TOTAL Over Expendature. But a welcome tool.

Yes, David it is total overkill for where I'm at in this game. I just need the ability to look at a coin on a full screen to confirm what I think I'm seeing. Because with the loupe I cannot see the whole coin at the same time to get a better perpestive. And of course the ability to post good pics here for further confirmation.
    Thanks guys,
    Chris

@ricko said:
    @CoinscratchFever...Welcome aboard.... As you may have gleaned from the potpourri of above posts, a microscope is good for determining anomalies... grading usually can be done with the naked eye up to 5-7X magnification.... Your post about a 'sideways D' would be an example of where a microscope might help - it likely is PMD...and you could then confirm the condition. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

Hey Ricko! What is PMD?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the Plugable unit and it works with my Samsung S8+. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

@ricko said:
    @CoinscratchFever .....Post Mint Damage...... Cheers, RickO

Once I get a good usb camera I will post pics of it along with others in question. I've looked at other rpms and there is a striking resemblance in the size and texture.

@Namvet69 said:
    I have the Plugable unit and it works with my Samsung S8+. Peace Roy

Hello Sir. I'm about to pull the trigger can you tell me the brand name? Thank you for your service! And I'm not talking about coins :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file