Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can someone recommend a good microscope for coin roll hunting and posting pics of my finds?

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent off my first set of 10 pennies from the 60's and nothing graded higher than a 65. Still learning...

Best Answers

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you just need to use it here and there you can get a cheep one off amazon for like $15 that you can hook up to your P.C or laptop, But if your looking at rolls you can see most of the big RPM, DDO/R very easy that are worth any $$$. Don't spend good $$$ on grading "stuff" it's ok to keep them raw in a 2x2 or flip but save your $$$ for grading the big error's if they are worth it..

Welcome to the nut house and Thank You for not bombarding us with a bunch of none error coin pic's. Nice to have you aboard.

Hoard the keys.
    edited July 10, 2018 3:06PM Answer ✓

No your right just $18+ grading fee, but need to check the box and list it on that line so they know what to look for like DDO/R or RPM and so on. Remember all them fees add up so the coin needs to be worth it as well.

Hoard the keys.
    edited July 10, 2018 8:20PM Answer ✓

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Are we having fun yet?

Pete

Somewhere.............TTTT is LOLing all over the place.

Yup!
    They almost got it right.

Hoard the keys.
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 12:30PM Answer ✓

$77 Bucks get you this one! OPTO-EDU A22.1504-C1 Forward-Mounted Binocular Stereo Microscope

Dont buy this one bad reviews on the camera. Buy this scope without the camera and order the 9.1 megabite camera. They have good reviews.
    This is the good part number for the scope by itself. Scope SM-4TZ-144-

The good camera 9MP USB Microscope Digital Camera + Calibration Kit
    SKU: MU900-CK

Answers

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks pretty nice. So should I buy a lamp as well?

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what the model of the stereo scope is, you could ask; a 75 watt light is usually enough.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    That looks pretty nice. So should I buy a lamp as well?

You always need a good light source when examining coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

So, I just want to be able to take a pic and look at it on the computer, like you would at PCGS or HA. So hopefully then I can compare before sending off for grading. For example, I have 1972 D 1c with what looks like another D sideways and under the 9. I can't find anything online about it and need to take a closer look.

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

you will need nice coins in order for them to look nice under a microscope.

Don't quote me on that.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    You should not need to use a stereomicroscope for routine coin grading. Too much magnification is counterproductive.

Agreed. Under a microscope, all coins look circ. LOL.

LOL. This is pure uninformed NONSENSE. I've graded many tens of thousands of coins Mint State - including the MS-70 grade (perfect) - over the decades while using a stereomicroscope to authenticate them.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider2, what magnification do you use for routine grading (not MS70 or PF70)?

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
    edited July 10, 2018 11:21AM

@Sonorandesertrat said:

7X

First I look at both sides of the coin with my eyes (I'm still nearsighted). Then it goes under the scope looking for problems. Next I look at it with my plastic lens B&L 3X, 4X, 7X hand lens (7X) to finalize my original opinion which often does not change from what I decided at first with my eyes.

Many times I'll leave this note for the finalizer: w/rub. He knows that IMO the coin is my old "technical grade" of AU that is no longer used. These coins usually go out graded as low MS - just as they do at the other major TPGS's.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    You should not need to use a stereomicroscope for routine coin grading. Too much magnification is counterproductive.

LOL. This is pure uninformed NONSENSE. I've graded many tens of thousands of coins Mint State - including the MS-70 grade (perfect) - over the decades while using a stereomicroscope to authenticate them.

It's a joke. Learn to laugh.

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

This is PURE HUMORLESS ARROGANCE.

:wink:

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I sent off my first set of 10 pennies from the 60's and nothing graded higher than a 65. Still learning...

I can promise you that I would do no better than you did, but that must have been a very expensive lesson. I do not know what high grade moderns sell for but I wonder if you might be able to put together a sample set for not too much money by buying slabbed cents off eBay. If you are patient maybe you can get a good deal on them. That way you might have a set of various grades to compare raw coins to. (This may or may not be helpful.)

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Ha, ha, ha, I agree, the post is a joke!

However, My post is not a joke. I don't believe yours (AGREE) was either. I think you posted something you heard along the line from someone else who probably has never looked at more than one coin using a scope!

There are folks who know virtually nothing about coins "lurking" or posting here. There are also members slapping down nonsense before it is absorbed by those beginners. On those occasions, that's when I get a good laugh.

@Insider2 said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

7X

First I look at both sides of the coin with my eyes (I'm still nearsighted). Then it goes under the scope looking for problems. Next I look at it with my plastic lens B&L 3X, 4X, 7X hand lens (7X) to finalize my original opinion which often does not change from what I decided at first with my eyes.

Many times I'll leave this note for the finalizer: w/rub. He knows that IMO the coin is my old "technical grade" of AU that is no longer used. These coins usually go out graded as low MS - just as they do at the other major TPGS's.

@jmlanzaf You >:) disagreed with this post. Please enlighten the members. Do you think every coin graded MS in a major TPGS slab is MS? Perhaps I can educate you if that is the case. If you have a copy of Grading Coins by Photographs by David Bowers, turn to page Xiii and read it. :)

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

I disagree. I should argue that the appearance of "pure humorless arrogance" occurs whenever a statement of FACT is used to hammer home a point to an uninformed person. It is akin to smashing a bothersome sand flea with the 8" thick 13 pound Webster's Unabridged Dictionary. It is not arrogance when you've done it. :)

Okay, another question. I sent pcgs a 1960 D 1c which clearly has something sticking out of the bottom of the D, I did not list it as a variety and then forgot to correct my paperwork. It came back as a MS64 but no mention of rpm. Is that because I didn't pay the 65.00 I think I was supposed to?

edited July 12, 2018 12:31PM

Here is one! Is this a over kill? This one had bad reviews as the camera is junk. Buy it seperate if you decide to jump in.

@JBK said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

I can promise you that I would do no better than you did, but that must have been a very expensive lesson. I do not know what high grade moderns sell for but I wonder if you might be able to put together a sample set for not too much money by buying slabbed cents off eBay. If you are patient maybe you can get a good deal on them. That way you might have a set of various grades to compare raw coins to. (This may or may not be helpful.)

Yes, like 300.00 but it was the really expensive lesson that got me into this hobby. 2017 started going through boxes of pennies and nickels, wife thinks I've lost my mind. 2016 realized (don't remember how) what I had in my hand back in 2009 at a time when business was down and I was late on rent. So during that year 16 to 17 I lost a lot of sleep before I realized the only way to cure the pain and suffering was to beat it back. So here I am. It was a 1965 silver dime and I spent it at the same store I received it. I knew enough to know that it was silver and that it wasn't supposed to be, but just couldn't put it together. And yes, it would have graded nicely...

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

using a stereomicroscope to authenticate them.

I disagree. I should argue that the appearance of "pure humorless arrogance" occurs whenever a statement of FACT is used to hammer home a point to an uninformed person. It is akin to smashing a bothersome sand flea with the 8" thick 13 pound Webster's Unabridged Dictionary. It is not arrogance when you've done it. :)

You do know that "LOL" means "laughing out loud". It was a joke, and you simply did not get the joke.

edited July 10, 2018 3:57PM

@Insider2 said:

@Insider2 said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

7X

@jmlanzaf You >:) disagreed with this post. Please enlighten the members. Do you think every coin graded MS in a major TPGS slab is MS? Perhaps I can educate you if that is the case. If you have a copy of Grading Coins by Photographs by David Bowers, turn to page Xiii and read it. :)

I disagreed just because you disagreed with me. Strictly retaliatory. I added a couple more, also strictly retaliatory. :wink:

@jmlanzaf said: "I disagreed just because you disagreed with me. Strictly retaliatory. I added a couple more, also strictly retaliatory. :wink:

Strictly childish IMO. However, it takes a "big" man to admit to being a childish little Troll. I've lived through three of them (all got banned) since joining. One more is just very sad.

PS Did you read the page about grading?

edited July 10, 2018 4:09PM

@Insider2 said:
    @jmlanzaf said: "I disagreed just because you disagreed with me. Strictly retaliatory. I added a couple more, also strictly retaliatory. :wink:

Strictly childish IMO. However, it takes a "big" man to admit to being a childish little Troll. I've lived through three of them (all got banned) since joining. One more is just very sad.

PS Did you read the page about grading?

See, I could have lived with a simple disagree. You, however, always feel the need to belittle from your high horse. You don't get the joke. That's fine. Admit your error and move on. But here you are, adding more insults.

I'd actually prefer it if you just took to posting stereo images of your pocket change.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018 4:16PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    So here I am. It was a 1965 silver dime and I spent it at the same store I received it. I knew enough to know that it was silver and that it wasn't supposed to be, but just couldn't put it together. And yes, it would have graded nicely...

:o:s:'(:/
    I wonder if someone else found it...

Well, I get some sort of device so I can send some pics in the next few days. I'm pretty sure I now know the diff. between doubled die and die detoriation, just cant spell it yet LOL.

@jmlanzaf said: "I'd actually prefer it if you just took to posting stereo images of your pocket change."

Actually I have a lot of images backed up to post but our computer system has been upgraded and I no longer can download directly from my camera in a few seconds. Now it takes more time to transfer things around and I don't quite have the hang of it as I'm ignorant when it comes to computers. So, I should be able to post the things you prefer later next week.

PS I'll even find out how to reproduce the page I suggested you read from the coin grading guide. :)

@Insider2 said:
    @jmlanzaf said: "I'd actually prefer it if you just took to posting stereo images of your pocket change."

Actually I have a lot of images backed up to post but our computer system has been upgraded and I no longer can download directly from my camera in a few seconds. Now it takes more time to transfer things around and I don't quite have the hang of it as I'm ignorant when it comes to computers. So, I should be able to post the things you prefer later next week.

PS I'll even find out how to reproduce the page I suggested you read from the coin grading guide. :)

See, this is the more playful you that I enjoy. I shall remove a couple disagrees.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we having fun yet?

Pete

Somewhere.............TTTT is LOLing all over the place.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Thank you Gluggo! I think I will spend the extra. Kinda like golf clubs, if you buy really expensive ones then you can no longer blame the clubs.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

For occasional roll searching, the posted set-up will likely be cost prohibitive. There are a number of Chinese USB mini-microscopes on eBay for $30 that will meet most people's needs (outside of obvious professionals).

+1

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard those usb microscopes recommended but for a number of reasons they aren't that useful for grading.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever...Welcome aboard.... As you may have gleaned from the potpourri of above posts, a microscope is good for determining anomalies... grading usually can be done with the naked eye up to 5-7X magnification.... Your post about a 'sideways D' would be an example of where a microscope might help - it likely is PMD...and you could then confirm the condition. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

@logger7 said:
    I have heard those usb microscopes recommended but for a number of reasons they aren't that useful for grading.

For grading, a 5x-7x loupe will do.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good scopes are about 800 range used and up. If your going to hunt rolls consider the head gear glasses or get a travel mini scope for less then 100.00.

Good luck.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

If you want to only spend 35 bucks this is a good one I bought this and it seems to work ok. I had a few issues getting it to work had to download a program as there was no disc supplied. But it works good. I just work to much to really explore with it.

Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope with Flexible Arm Observation Stand for Windows, Mac, Linux (2MP, 250x Magnification)

Okay that sounds more like what I am looking for $ wise. I will check it out. I want to make sure I can take high pics so yall guys can decipher whether or not it gets wrapped up all nice and neatly and sent off to PCGS.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Thank you Gluggo! I think I will spend the extra. Kinda like golf clubs, if you buy really expensive ones then you can no longer blame the clubs.

Okay I didn't realize that it would cost more than a good set of clubs, jeez

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Okay that sounds more like what I am looking for $ wise. I will check it out. I want to make sure I can take high pics so yall guys can decipher whether or not it gets wrapped up all nice and neatly and sent off to PCGS.

The one above for $ 35.00 the plugable usb unit, is suppose to take a snap shot of what your looking at through your computer. There is a built in button on top of the unit. Press it down and it will give you a snap shot. I have never used that portion of the scope. I will give it a try when I get home later tonight and post the picture so you can see the quality of the shot.
    I actually learned about this unit I think through Coin World. There was an article about a woman going through her change coins and found a rare coin. Sort of a neat story and this was the unit.

CoinscratchFever here are the digital shots. Its even easier than I thought. These pictures are from the $35.00 Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope with Flexible Arm Observation Stand for Windows, Mac, Linux (2MP, 250x Magnification) Very easy to use I like it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file