Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit Coin?

Comments

• Options
    BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2018 2:17AM

What? You didn't include anything in your post besides a string of photos. What makes you think this coin is fake? More so why would anyone fake a 2018 dime? I suppose it would be smarter since people would pay less attention to a dime being faked. Though the total cost of a counterfeiting operation means they probably have little to no profit as their overhead is probably equal if not greater than any value gained outputting these.

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

If someone were counterfeiting dimes I imagine it would take decades to turn a profit. Because of that I'm going to say the 2018 dime you posted isn't a counterfeit. What makes you think it could be a counterfeit? It just looks like a regular dime to me.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    We need more pictures before we can authenticate your coin. ;)

Yes, maybe some cross-sectional views of the interior would help :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just a case of "tired dies" which is not unusual for Roosevelt Dimes.

Counterfeiting dimes to put them into circulation would be a fool's errand. There’s no profit to be made from it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, of course it's a counterfeit. That dime is HUGE! ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dime looks to be authentic... It would help if you also verbalize your concerns so they can be addressed directly. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Well crap, I just rolled $40 in dimes last week and now I realize that they're all counterfeit.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get it graded.

PCGS will for sure tell you.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe this is a counterfeit account?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, the pixilated images make it look fake! :(

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Actually, the pixilated images make it look fake! :(

The granulated appearance of the surface gives the coin "that look". If anything the OP learned that from here.

Kudos to him for that.

I wish Roosevelt was wearing a Bowtie. It's difficult to make an opinion without it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2018 11:10AM

Is this the 100 post give away? if I win please spend it. I didn't think you would get this far.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please contact the Secret Service IMMEDIATELY.
    Waste no time.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoInSide7 said:

@BustyPotato said:
    What? You didn't include anything in your post besides a string of photos. What makes you think this coin is fake? More so why would anyone fake a 2018 dime? I suppose it would be smarter since people would pay less attention to a dime being faked. Though the total cost of a counterfeiting operation means they probably have little to no profit as their overhead is probably equal if not greater than any value gained outputting these.

I have a hunch about a particular business giving counterfeit change upon purchase. The coins are always brand new and uncirculated.

So naturally they are counterfeit.
    I would assume the same thing.
    I am sure the Secret Service will appreciate your help in breaking up this nefarious gang of criminals.

• Options
    BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

@CoInSide7 said:

@BustyPotato said:

I have a hunch about a particular business giving counterfeit change upon purchase. The coins are always brand new and uncirculated.

Obviously I am no patron to that particular business but here is my thinking for what it is worth. When i got out of the military before i started college I held a job as a gas station a-manager. When we would get rolls from the bank more often than not our penny rolls were immaculate BU condition. You could just by sheer coincidence be visiting this place at a time when they have cracked a new roll. Is it improbable? Sure but it is definitely closer to the realm of possibility versus a small local business running a counterfeit dime operation. I suppose if you are that concerned you could weigh it on a food scale and measure it! Not trying to sound rude it is just that your hunch does not seem to have any logic to it.

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    TomaToma Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

"Breaking News; Coin forum cracks international dime counterfeiting ring, were those pocket changes threads really onto something? More at 9."

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those photos are brutal !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file