Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help identifying John Adams bronze token

Couldn’t find anything on the internet

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably part of one of those commercial presidential series of tokens. It looks circa 1950's to 60's, 70's at the very latest when these sets were popular.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could that be a metal detector find?

• Options

@Smudge yup

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a series like this that the gas stations distributed in the 1970s, probably during the Bicentennial period. I had a few of thoset sets at the time, but I can't remember of John Adams was part of it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has a Franklin Mint mintmark on the obverse so it probably dates from the late 1960's or 1970's. It may have been part of a Shell Oil Company promotion.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2018 2:28PM

@Smudge said:
    Could that be a metal detector find?

If it was, toss it back.....please. ;)

I don't recall Adams having "condemnor" authority at any time. Also, he signed the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 -- not a good thing in a free society.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, he signed the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 -- not a good thing in a free society.

Yes, that was his biggest political and presidential blunder.

He also walked around with sword strapped around his hips for a while. I'm sure the French were quacking in their boots at the sight of a short pudgy guy walking around with a sword dragging on the floor.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

In terms of style, this reminds me of a "Shell Oil Token", from around 1970. The Thirteen Original States by Shell are much more common than anything with Presidents. I am NOT suggesting that this is rare or valuable.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This does look like one of the promotional sets that were popular back then... and definitely could be a metal detector find... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2018 8:40AM

For a gasoline purchase, Shell Oil gave away aluminum tokens that were sealed in some kind of wrap. Late '60s, early '70s. If you got lucky and accumulated the "right" tokens, you could trade them in for a bronze set. At that time, my Aunt got me a bronze set of the Thirteen Original States.

If you look at eBay, you can find some of the various Shell Oil series. Some examples are properly priced and some are absolutely ridiculously priced.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file