Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Crown sized collection newp - 8R - But I also have a concern

ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 6, 2018 2:21PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I got what I consider a great price on this coin. But I am now fearful that it might be due possible verdigris. It's in a PCGS 55 holder. Anyone have any thoughts?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/80292718

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo? I've had to get pvc out of a couple holders in not so distant memory. Acetone is a good thing, but it sucks having to crack a slab to get to it. If it's pvc that is.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 2:22PM

Updated, the pic insert tool is busted.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 2:22PM

I cant tell if its PVC or Verdigris

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I see are tiny black corrosion spots. The other things are "green." I see a slight buildup around the branch. Where exactly is the characteristic you question?

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    All I see are tiny black corrosion spots. The other things are "green." I see a slight buildup around the branch. Where exactly is the characteristic you question?

If you click the pic twice it will max size. Look at word Provicias on the left. Youll see some green there.

• Options

Look behind the C, inside the A..inside the sun. Its all over

• Options

I'll take your word for it.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if you ever crack it out I would like to see some pictures of the edge. There is something weird there. In fact it looks like the coin was shaved and then re-edged.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 5:28PM

I see it.

I had a coin very much similarly afflicted. The spots were visible on the true views. I had it sent in for a review and it was not addressed. Cracked it and with some acetone and a thorn the green was removed. I didn't send it back in. I realize things develop after slabbing, but if it's on the trueview Id've thought it would be addressed under the guarantee.

That said, it was with a coin I was very familiar with so I knew what it should/could look like. I have no idea about your coin/series, but if it were me I'd want the green off.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does look like a few green spots on the obverse. If you end up keeping it, I would get that taken care of.

• Options

@jgenn said:
    Well if you ever crack it out I would like to see some pictures of the edge. There is something weird there. In fact it looks like the coin was shaved and then re-edged.

I think that may be planchet crudeness.

• Options

This coin is also an attribution piece. Its the PROVICIAS error. Word is supposed to be with the N PROVINCIAS. Adds a little value.

• Options

Also interesting to note its a gold shield slab. Isnt the sniffer supposed to pick up verd and PVC?

• Options

I thought the sniffer was to find chemicals and altering agents. ??

• Options

Crack it weigh it. That will solve the green and what someone thinks is an alteration.

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2018 5:30AM

A very nice piece. They certainly didn't take very good care of the dies back then. I don't think there is much you can do about the green, removing it will surely leave black spots. I also don't think the spots are sufficient for a details grade.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Dmitry said. The "minor" green is almost undetectable and the crude planchet edge is typical, the misspelled variety is a plus. Leave it alone.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the same, the coin is 200 years old and not a modern obviously. Unmessed with coins such as this are going to have mild marks, etc.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tilt it in the light. Is there even a FAINT ....tinge.... of haze?
    If there is, it needs attention.

• Options

Thanks for feedback everyone. The price point of this coin also put me into a bit of a spot because it was imo quite the bargain. From a major dealer. Put me into questioning whether the spots were why as well. I'll try and get more zoomed in pics once it arrives.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2018 9:03PM

I have a nice one from 1813 but I can't see its edge in the holder so I don't know what they are supposed to look like. After viewing examples from HA I am beginning to think these issues used the older pillar dollar style of edging that leaves a wavy impression along the rim like the one in the OP. Perhaps that's not so surprising since the mint staff employed by the Spanish had to retreat in the face of revolutionaries taking Potosi in 1813 and 1815. It would make sense that they took their dies with them when they evacuated the mint, including the edging dies, to prevent counterfeits from being issued. It's plausible that they left behind some older, out-of-date material that the die makers employed by the revolutionaries could reuse.

Anyone with knowledge about how these edges are supposed to look please chime in.

• Options

As @jgenn said they do have an edge style similar to columnarios. I don't own an 8R, but the same thing can be seen on this smaller 2R :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    edited July 9, 2018 2:20AM

Oh they meant that....I thought they were talking about how the top words are cut off a bit near the edge. Yes I believe the 1813 and the 1815 series has the wavy edge. Maybe other years also, not sure. Ive only been interested in the 1813 and 1815s

• Options

Yes in many slabbed examples the rims have that wavy appearance -- I just would like to know if the same edge design as used with the pillar dollar issues is present on these. Pillar dollars used a motif, variously described as laurel leaf or tulip flower for the edge. But the square and circle design had been the standard since 1772.

Regarding the legend being cutoff, I thought that was suspicious but I have since seen many slabbed examples that exhibit the same feature.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2018 11:52PM

@jgenn yes they used the same flower-like design. Not the clearest photo, sorry about that. You can see they go in one direction on the left side, opposite on the right and overlap in the middle. There is another such overlap/direction change on the opposite side. I believe columnarios had the same, but don't own or have one on hand at the moment to compare.

• Options

@WorldCoinsDmitry thanks, that explains the wavy rims. It's curious that they reverted to the old style edge design that hadn't been used for over forty years.

• Options
    GallienusGallienus Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018 6:48AM

@ACop said:

But I am now fearful that it might be due possible verdigris. It's in a PCGS 55 holder. Anyone have any thoughts?

That's a wonderful piece with the Provicas error. I wouldn't be deterred at buying it due to the green dots you mentioned. If worried you can send it in to be conserved.

For the future make sure you keep the coin storage free from any rubber bands, chemicals, guns, or pvc. I try to use silica gel in packs but am considering also some sort of O2 getter.

I collect Ancients and early Independence Era Latin American.