Home Sports Talk
Options

Top 25 Running Backs All Time

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    +1

I just wanted the 100th comment post for the thread.

Carry on...........

Post padder. :p

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2018 8:43PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:
    What is misleading about averaging 5.0 YPC, 100 yards rushing a game (on AVERAGE) and 11 TDs a season (again, on average)? Nothing misleading about those stats despite your faulty recollection.

Sanders was not effective on short plays where you needed to plow through the middle for a couple yards. At the goal line he was on the bench. Great man and athlete but he is at the lower part of the top ten, not the higher part.

He wasn't a goal line back per set but it is a myth that he wasn't effective in short yardage situations, if you take a closer look at his stats.

That said, his numbers speak for themselves. To average 5 yards a rush each time you touch the ball and 100 yards per game over the course of a career is simply exceptional.

Didn't Sanders also lead the NFL in yards lost? I like Emitt and Brown running better every time. They hardly ever lost yards!

His yards lost obviously come off his total so it’s accounted for. Even with those loses he average way more then Smith. Betcha didn’t know that Sanders averaged just a tad over 2 losses of yards per game . Yep, two whole carries a game he lost yardage on average. You remember what you want to remember

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:
    What is misleading about averaging 5.0 YPC, 100 yards rushing a game (on AVERAGE) and 11 TDs a season (again, on average)? Nothing misleading about those stats despite your faulty recollection.

Sanders was not effective on short plays where you needed to plow through the middle for a couple yards. At the goal line he was on the bench. Great man and athlete but he is at the lower part of the top ten, not the higher part.

He wasn't a goal line back per set but it is a myth that he wasn't effective in short yardage situations, if you take a closer look at his stats.

That said, his numbers speak for themselves. To average 5 yards a rush each time you touch the ball and 100 yards per game over the course of a career is simply exceptional.

Didn't Sanders also lead the NFL in yards lost? I like Emitt and Brown running better every time. They hardly ever lost yards!

His yards lost obviously come off his total so it’s accounted for. Even with those loses he average way more then Smith. Betcha didn’t know that Sanders averaged just a tad over 2 losses of yards per game . Yep, two whole carries a game he lost yardage on average. You remember what you want to remember

mark

So the GOAT has no rings or SB appearances. I recall only one decent season when the Lions went 12-4 and got crushed by the redskins in the first playoff round.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 9:34PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

So the GOAT has no rings or SB appearances. I recall only one decent season when the Lions went 12-4 and got crushed by the redskins in the first playoff round.

Tough to win as a team in the playoffs when you turn the ball over 3 times on the road (none by Barry) and your opponent does not.

That loss was to the 14-2 Redskins who went on to win the Super Bowl. No one was beating them that year. It was an amazing feat for the Lions to even get that far that year with Erik Kramer and Andre Ware playing QB. Thanks to Barry and his league-leading 16 rushing TDs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

You fellas have more excuses than Wayne Fontes.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Don't have to make any excuses for Barry.

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

Actually they lost in the Conference Championship Game. They beat Dallas 38-6 in the first round

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

Actually they lost in the Conference Championship Game. They beat Dallas 38-6 in the first round

mark

Yes, indeed.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

mark

That was right before Dallas went on a terror and won 3 SB's in 4 years. :)B)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

mark

I'm just glad that the CU forum wasn't around back then. I mean Dimeman would have ruled over Sports Talk like an emperor, and the rest of us would have been his pawns. :|

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

mark

I'm just glad that the CU forum wasn't around back then. I mean Dimeman would have ruled over Sports Talk like an emperor, and the rest of us would have been his pawns. :|

Those were the days. We would have won the gapper and made it 4 or 5 in a row if Jerry hadn't run Jimmy off! I can see why he is your favorite owner. ;)

• Options
    edited July 7, 2018 7:15AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

mark

Those were the days. We would have won the gapper and made it 4 or 5 in a row if Jerry hadn't run Jimmy off! I can see why he is your favorite owner. ;)

Jimmy Johnson had built such a great team, that even Barry Switzer could win a Super Bowl with it.

Steve Spurrier was the worst NFL head coach I ever saw, but Switzer wasn't that far behind. LOL

• Options

Me loves Jerry jones

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

mark

Jimmy Johnson had built such a great team, that even Barry Switzer could win a Super Bowl with it.

Steve Spurrier was the worst NFL head coach I ever saw, but Switzer wasn't that far behind. LOL

*Monte Clark

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

mark

*Monte Clark

I don't remember Monte Clark...….was he one of those in the "coach of the month" club that I missed by blinking to slow!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

Who says the GOAT of any TEAM sport has to have won championships? That's ridiculous and doesn't make Emmitt better than Barry or JB.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Championships relate to talk of the best QB not RB, Im not saying its fair to the QB but its a fact. Me personally? I think Marino, Fouts were all time greats and they blow away Terry Bradshaw who has 4 Championships so I dont count it as the table setter for conversation

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

Who says the GOAT of any TEAM sport has to have won championships? That's ridiculous and doesn't make Emmitt better than Barry or JB.

Tell that to LeBron who is chasing the ghost of Jordan. Marino who was the best pure passer the game has known will always be shoved back in the GOAT discussion for being ring free.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

I didn't say it did...….only that he helped his team more than Barry helped his. Plus that little fact that Emmitt IS the All Time Rushing Leader!

• Options
    edited July 7, 2018 12:22PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

I didn't say it did...….only that he helped his team more than Barry helped his.

That’s pure crazy talk. Emmitt was one of many greats on the same side of the ball for Dallas

Anyways I have no problem putting Smith as high as #4

I will add one other thing. No casual fan ever tuned in to watch Smith play. Sanders was must see TV.

I think you love to run other players down just to boost your guy. Woods with Jack, Lebron with MJ and Sanders with Smith etc etc etc. As soon someone even mentions something casual about Woods without even mention of GOAT you have to bring up Jack. As soon as someone mentions James you bring up Jordan. It’s weird

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

I didn't say it did...….only that he helped his team more than Barry helped his.

That’s pure crazy talk. Emmitt was one of many greats on the same side of the ball for Dallas

I will add one other thing. No casual fan ever tuned in to watch Smith play. Sanders was must see TV.

I think you love to run other players down just to boost your guy. Woods with Jack, Lebron with MJ and Sanders with Smith etc etc etc. As soon someone even mentions something casual about Woods without even mention of GOAT you have to bring up Jack. As soon as someone mentions James you bring up Jordan. It’s weird

m

Gretzky with Howe no doubt. ;)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

m

Gretzky with Howe no doubt. ;)

No.....Don't care about Hockey. The only game I ever watched was USA VS Russia in the 1980 Olympics Finals.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

mark

m

Mark that is never my intent. I just have strong feelings about certain players. I guess I will stop replying to post here.

• Options

Stop it, I hate when people say they are going to stop posting because someone called them out. Fight for what you think and believe, we are all into this sports talk because we enjoy sports! If you believe in what your posting then keep at it!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

where is that passive aggressive flag when you need it :D

• Options

I'd say the chances of Dimeman never posting again on Sports Talk are below 0

;)

• Options

@stevek said:
    I'd say the chances of Dimeman never posting again on Sports Talk are below 0

;)

Longer odds than a Jets-Eagles Super Bowl?

• Options

Jon no one wants you to leave. You liven the joint up.

mark

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few things, since I don't want to go back and quote every post:

1) Somebody asked about total rushing attempts. Emmitt is #1 at 4409, 571 more than #2 and 1400 more than Barry Sanders.

2) Barry Sanders being ineffective in short yardage situations is a myth. 3rd & 4th & short? 3.8 YPC. Emmitt Smith? 2.9. Admittedly, Smith got 3x as many tries and a slightly higher 1st down %. That just shows Barry was good.

3) The 1991 Lions were the #2 team in the league that year. 8 years out of 10 they win the Super Bowl with that team. They beat the AFC champion Bills in Buffalo. They torched the Cowboys 38-6 in the playoffs. They lost to an all-time great team*. Stuff happens.

• I met Mark Rypien a couple years ago at a baseball game. Told him "You guys were awesome in '91. You broke my heart. I'm a Lions fan and you guys kicked our butt." Mark got this huge grin on his face and said, "Yeah, we did." :)
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Jon no one wants you to leave. You liven the joint up.

mark

This place is essentially road rage with better mileage.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I will always be a Sanders guy (Greatest athlete ever from my state - Kansas), I actually feel like Emmitt somehow gets underrated for all he did, probably because he wasn't big, he wasn't fast and he wasn't flashy. Yes, he was on a great team, but he was the best player on that team and he was one tough RB.
    Barry will always be my number one and we will always wonder what could have been had he been on a good team.
    Someone no one has mentioned is Marshall Faulk - outstanding all-around running back. Speed kills.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

I suppose that it would be a dishonorable mention to include OJ Simpson, who averaged 1000 yards per 14 game season and a 4.7 yards per carry average over his career.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    I suppose that it would be a dishonorable mention to include OJ Simpson, who averaged 1000 yards per 14 game season and a 4.7 yards per carry average over his career.

Simpson is in the top 10 on that list and rightfully so. Another amazingly gifted back who toiled on bad teams, even worse than those on which Sanders played. Off the field is an entirely different discussion, though.

• Options
    brownladbrownlad Posts: 50 ✭✭

Walter Payton played for one of the worst teams for most of his career. He was a great player on a bad team and was the focal point of the defenses he faced with no threat of a pass to counter. He still put up great numbers and endured years of punishing abuse as a result--and lasted. His durability was amazing. He was also a great blocker and a better all around athlete than any other RB. He could throw a football 60 yards in the air, punt it 70 yards, make field goals from 45 yards, and he played QB for part of a game (including multiple TD passes in his career). His power and moves would succeed in any generation. Barry was great, Emmitt was strong and tough, Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Gale Sayers, all deserve mention, but Sweetness was the greatest.

Cowboys Football or Walter Payton (any year)
  • Options

@brownlad said:
    Walter Payton played for one of the worst teams for most of his career. He was a great player on a bad team and was the focal point of the defenses he faced with no threat of a pass to counter. He still put up great numbers and endured years of punishing abuse as a result--and lasted. His durability was amazing. He was also a great blocker and a better all around athlete than any other RB. He could throw a football 60 yards in the air, punt it 70 yards, make field goals from 45 yards, and he played QB for part of a game (including multiple TD passes in his career). His power and moves would succeed in any generation. Barry was great, Emmitt was strong and tough, Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Gale Sayers, all deserve mention, but Sweetness was the greatest.

The Bears were not nearly as bad as you make it sound. They finished .500 or better in 8 out of Payton's 13 seasons including SB champs in '85.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@brownlad said:

The Bears were not nearly as bad as you make it sound. They finished .500 or better in 8 out of Payton's 13 seasons including SB champs in '85.

Watched the Bears as a Vikings fan, they were pretty bad until 1984, Payon's last full year was 1986.

First 9 years of Walters career the Bears had a winning record two times, with quarterbacks like Avellini and Evans, they were pretty much Walter on offense until McMahan came along and Jim was by no means great.

The last three years the team was great primarily because of the defense.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@grote15 said:

@brownlad said:

Watched the Bears as a Vikings fan, they were pretty bad until 1984, Payon's last full year was 1986.

First 9 years of Walters career the Bears had a winning record two times, with quarterbacks like Avellini and Evans, they were pretty much Walter on offense until McMahan came along and Jim was by no means great.

The Lions with Sanders were worse.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

Chicago scoring offense rankings, 1985-87:

2, 13, 9

1986 would have been higher but for the unbelievably dirty play that put Jim McMahon out for half a season during game 6.

1987 would have been higher had McMahon been healthy all year. They averaged 30 a game with him for the half season he could play.

In other words, yeah, they were great because of the defense in Payton's last three seasons. But the offense was good, often VERY good, those three years.

• Options

McMahon was a very good QB but he was hurt a lot. So, other than 1985 Walter and the defense carried the team.

McMahan's record for the years 1984-87 was a fantastic 36-4. He also missed 21 games during that time.

• Options

The game was a lot different back in the 80’s, for the most part teams were not anything like the video game scoring like today. You could rely on a tough defense and a very good running back to carry your team, that’s why a Payton, Simpson Dickerson were invaluable.

• Options

Question, would anyone argue against my opinion that last year’s Cleveland Brown team would destroy any Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas or Bart Star team?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Question, would anyone argue against my opinion that last year’s Cleveland Brown team would destroy any Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas or Bart Star team?

No arguement. Most of those guys are dead

m

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

i still need a little more convincing

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

The other half are riding Rascals?

m

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

The other half are riding Rascals?

m

ok now i'm convinced

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think an Otto Graham Browns team would have given the Eagles a better game than the Pats did last year. I know they would have been better on defense.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I think an Otto Graham Browns team would have given the Eagles a better game than the Pats did last year. I know they would have been better on defense.

Ralph I do like your humor, in fact this might be your best work! LOL

• Options

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:
    I hate LT at #5, and I would put Barry Sanders at #1 over Jim Brown without question. I like the list and respect that all of us can make changes as we see fit but the list is a good one.

Sanders is the easy #1 and it isn't even close. Would have loved to see Barry play during Jim Brown's era, and would love to see Jim play on Barry's horrible teams. Jim couldn't get half the yards Barry got with those clubs.

Easily Sanders.

I had to quote you because I agree so much

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Why are we having this debate? I found a Dimeman approved list ranking the top RB's in order: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_rushing_yards_leaders