Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's in a lot of 176 "junk silver" Franklins?

WhitWhit Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Hello all: It's been a welcome slow night, so as an aging mathematician and numismatist, I helped a relative sort the Franklins from his junk silver that he's been gathering for the past couple of years, then crunched some numbers. Here are the results:

48P---2
48D--2
49P--1 (a lustrous, beautiful slider)
49D--1
49S--1
50P--7 (another beautiful lustrous slider among these)
50D--1
51P--5
51D--3
51S--8
52P--10
52D--10
52S--1
53P--2 (under 2.7 million mintage)
53D--17
53S--0
54P--8
54D--10
54S--0
55--0
56--3
57P--1
57D--3
58P--3 (only about 4 million mintage)
58D--16
59P--1
59D--3
60P--0
60D--1
61P--1
61D--5
62P--7
62D--3
63P--18
63D--22
64P-- very sorry not to see one. However he does have a Franklin with a defaced date. Maybe that's the one.

I had forgotten what low mintages some of these issues sport: under 2.7 million for the 53P, and about 4 million for the 58P.

Turns out that this distribution is not representative of the actual mintages. But why expect it to be? There is no reason to believe that junk silver lots are simple random samples. (A chi-square goodness-of-fit test gives a p-value that is well below .01 for those of you who care. Outliers include the 53D and 63D.)

So that's it. Only 4 coins away from a complete set. Good night.

Whit

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool...

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

thanks for sharing. I see one each of the 49's, I need some 49's for my set... B)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting...

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you find any errors or noteworthy flaws? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting project for an evening....did you at least start one album?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"64P-- very sorry not to see one. However he does have a Franklin with a defaced date. Maybe that's the one."

Unlikely.... ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    "64P-- very sorry not to see one. However he does have a Franklin with a defaced date. Maybe that's the one."

Unlikely.... ;)

Yes sir, that is unfortunately so. I am not aware of any claims to their existence except perhaps by Breen.

@ricko said:
    An interesting project for an evening....did you at least start one album?? Cheers, RickO

Yes, sir, I did have an empty Dansco that I passed along to my uncle, though he doesn't have the coin bug .... yet. He just likes silver ... although he was impressed by the 49P and 50P. Still, he won't be into full bell lines any time soon.
    He has more walkers than Franklins, so as soon as I can get him to his sd box, we'll be sorting those too.

@Namvet69 said:
    Did you find any errors or noteworthy flaws? Peace Roy

No sir, I did not.

Whit
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Whit .... That trove of Walkers should be interesting....Look forward to your report on that... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file