Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where are all the NGC stars??

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking with a colleague tonight about coins and he commented that he's not seen any stars up for auction lately. I figured that they are in strong hands now. He thought they were being crossed over. Other opinions??

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many have crossed and, yes, I think that people tend to hold what's left. I rarely see Star Walkers. I only own one. It was priced reasonably, so I grabbed it up right away.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Talking with a colleague tonight about coins and he commented that he's not seen any stars up for auction lately. I figured that they are in strong hands now. He thought they were being crossed over. Other opinions??

I've cracked/crossed several recently with our hosts. That would be my guess as to what is happening to the best of the best.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2018 6:51PM

They show up from time to time.
    But yes crackouts and strong hands are two of the main reasons why one might see fewer on the market.

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

With star, it is much easy to cross :wink:

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Not a wise move to cross Star coins. You've just lost the 'premium' designation. Unless they upgrade (which is unlikely) you probably lost money. I would suggest that usually Star coins sell for about a third more on average but can bring once again as much sometimes. Seems like someone ATS stated FMV on Star coins was about 35% more. Like the Star Walkers my Star Proof Mercury will bring as much as 3 times NGC price guide. I would like to see some Star coins posted. I own a few and made one myself.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Not a wise move to cross Star coins. You've just lost the 'premium' designation. Unless they upgrade (which is unlikely) you probably lost money. I would suggest that usually Star coins sell for about a third more on average but can bring once again as much sometimes.

You get to keep the NGC labels (PCGS sends them back with the coins).

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

A valid point and I have my crossed labels also. As long as the Star label is displayed when coins are sold it's still a 'premium ' coin in my eyes.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few Buffs that are star designated coins but I have no intention of parting with them. Most all stars are very eye appeal worthy, at least mine are.
    Yes I agree they are in strong hands cause I seek them out too. The only star buff I’ve seen up for sale is a 38-d and the images of that coin are so juiced I have no idea what it really looks like. That and the seller is in dreamland with his price.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I have a few Buffs that are star designated coins but I have no intention of parting with them. Most all stars are very eye appeal worthy, at least mine are.
    Yes I agree they are in strong hands cause I seek them out too. The only star buff I’ve seen up for sale is a 38-d and the images of that coin are so juiced I have no idea what it really looks like. That and the seller is in dreamland with his price.

Was the buffalo the one pictured below? It actually sold for $495! Another 38-D, a 66 Star, sold in January for $425.

Yep that’s it. Well I guess someone took the plunge.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic. I've kept my original star designations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think the majority are in collections and a small percentage get crossed.
    A side note: I HATE the star on proof coins that have one sided cameo or almost enough cameo to make the designation or enough for cam but not quite enough for dcam/ucam. To me, a one sided cameo is not eye appeal. It is exactly the opposite. And that almost stuff just doesn’t make sense to me.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve got a lot of them.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Not a wise move to cross Star coins. You've just lost the 'premium' designation. Unless they upgrade (which is unlikely) you probably lost money. I would suggest that usually Star coins sell for about a third more on average but can bring once again as much sometimes. Seems like someone ATS stated FMV on Star coins was about 35% more. Like the Star Walkers my Star Proof Mercury will bring as much as 3 times NGC price guide. I would like to see some Star coins posted. I own a few and made one myself.

I disagree. It's better to get the coin in a PCGS holder. But should be cracked out and sent in raw. The ngc and star is like waving a red flag at a bull!

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 10:34AM

One of only a few * coins I’ve bed able to buy or let’s say stomach buying. This coin is mostly void of color, I think the star should say Booming Luster after it. Needs a luster video. Common date coin that may get overlooked if just in a 66 no star slab. This will stay with my box of 20 core pieces or if I ever build a half type set. I’ll likely hold till the end....
    Neat discussion.

@U1chicago said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Was the buffalo the one pictured below? It actually sold for $495! Another 38-D, a 66 Star, sold in January for $425.

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t look like that pic. Yes waaaaaay over priced for a 38-d 65. Of course this is just my opinion.

edited June 30, 2018 11:07AM

Another blast white * designation in the collection. For common Morgan’s, 64 is a “meh” grade to me. There’s usually a problem. This coin has technical grade limits, but with the frost and mirrors, who cares! Not enough frost or mirrors to justify those designations, but an overall standout.

This coin cane back in a bulk submission, so I guess my buddy and I made it and I didn’t buy it at a show or anything.

At first, I scratched my head on non rainbow star coins, then they started teaching me things about grading I couldn’t see before. I would pick up more white stars if I ever saw them.

• NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@WildIdea what do you think about the star of this Morgan? missed the PL designation or it has eye appeal in general

@NVU said:
    @WildIdea what do you think about the star of this Morgan? missed the PL designation or it has eye appeal in general

Both, it’s a coin that when you have it alone you think “cool, nice morgan”, but when you have it in a run of say 20 Morgan’s graded similar you would see it stand out on the table. Maybe the bulk submission helped it? I would rather have it in a Humble grade w/ star grade than say just a 5 or a pl designation...... it tells it’s own story in a way.

edited June 30, 2018 12:09PM

This coin it an interesting case. A 1920 Lincoln cent I bought when I was building my early dates in 65. I had to step up a little, but why not when it’s a lower value date. Although basically a RD coin and I was buying BN, RB for the set, it had a wash of color in the right field I thought was neat.....

You know, there are 70 coins in a date and mint set of Lincoln’s from 09-33. This was the only coin to turn in the purchases I made in the 6-7 years it took to build the set. Coin held 10 years now out of sheer love of Lincolns. They have sat in intercept shield individual coin holders inside IS 10 coin boxes. Room dehumidifier year round.

These were the photos I took for my registry set at the time.

Now it has turned in the holder the telltale orange of a recolored Lincoln cent. I’m OK with it being the lesson coin it was only a few hundred dollars, not thousands. Taught me something. That just because a coin has a star it doesn’t mean I should stretch or trust it. I can see now that the toning wasn’t just a wash of color, but the begging stages of this coin turning from its chemical treatments.

This is it now. To me this is total trash.

edited June 30, 2018 11:44AM

@wildidea ironically, my Walker Star coin is also a 1945 D. It has crazy red and orange toning. I think it is an end of roll toner. Great luster too.

@Walkerfan said:
    @wildidea ironically, my Walker Star coin is also a 1945 D. It has crazy red and orange toning. I think it is an end of roll toner. Great luster too.

Let’s s see it!

@WildIdea said:

@Walkerfan said:

Let’s s see it!

The only photos that I have are the sellers and they are black and white. :|

@Walkerfan said:

@WildIdea said:

@Walkerfan said:

Let’s s see it!

Ok, I have a great imagination!

edited June 30, 2018 11:57AM

@WildIdea said:

@Walkerfan said:

@WildIdea said:

@Walkerfan said:

Let’s s see it!

Ok, I have a great imagination!

Here it is! Much better and more red in hand.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only one I own - yes, the star is just for the obverse deep cameo:

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have more - would have to dig. I presume the PCGS will recognize the Battle Creek provenance - otherwise it is a no-go.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 3:16PM

I tried to cross a beautiful 1890 seated quarter NGC 67 *.

It came back from PCGS altered surfaces! :o

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've posted these before but they are star NGC coins.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

@bidask we need to see pictures of that!

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly does the star designation mean? I saw two Morgans with the star, a MS-66 and a MS-67 at a local auction and was wondering what it meant. Thank you in advance!

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

An NGC star indicates the coin has superior eye appeal. It's normally gifted to coins with a rainbow of colors but at times they award it for other reasons.

My guess (and only a guess) is that perhaps 1% of the coins they grade get the star upon grading.

When you get a star and a plus you feel like you won the trifecta.

Those are very rare.

• NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@lkeigwin that reverse toning is insane, love that green eye!

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    This coin it an interesting case. A 1920 Lincoln cent I bought when I was building my early dates in 65. I had to step up a little, but why not when it’s a lower value date. Although basically a RD coin and I was buying BN, RB for the set, it had a wash of color in the right field I thought was neat.....

You know, there are 70 coins in a date and mint set of Lincoln’s from 09-33. This was the only coin to turn in the purchases I made in the 6-7 years it took to build the set. Coin held 10 years now out of sheer love of Lincolns. They have sat in intercept shield individual coin holders inside IS 10 coin boxes. Room dehumidifier year round.

These were the photos I took for my registry set at the time.

Now it has turned in the holder the telltale orange of a recolored Lincoln cent. I’m OK with it being the lesson coin it was only a few hundred dollars, not thousands. Taught me something. That just because a coin has a star it doesn’t mean I should stretch or trust it. I can see now that the toning wasn’t just a wash of color, but the begging stages of this coin turning from its chemical treatments.

This is it now. To me this is total trash.

I think from those original pictures, it would have fooled anybody. It looked like some nice original skin. Funny you don't like it now but toned Lincolns are super hot currently and you could probably flip that for a nice profit.

edited July 1, 2018 10:42AM

@lusterlover said:

I think from those original pictures, it would have fooled anybody. It looked like some nice original skin. Funny you don't like it now but toned Lincolns are super hot currently and you could probably flip that for a nice profit.

Thanks for the reply @lusterlover. The coin has some amazing luster from just the right amount of die erosion.

As far as the color it shows now, if I were to crack it and send to either service, I would bet a weeks pay it would get bagged questionable color at NGC, two weeks pay same questionable color at PCGS. Its an orange color now the services just don’t slab. This took me years and a lot of disappointment to learn. It basically called “Recolored” which I think typically from being treated to look RD. Other treatments would colorize it rainbow or maybe BN. I would like it better if she was just brown actually. In the begging of my copper collecting, I had bought several raw on eBay and places that had this look, and never got any to slab. I then thought if I didn’t buy them with this look I was good, that was another misconception. Tuition for sure. I hung in there, studied more, bought less and finally honed in on what the surfaces and colors the services appreciate and don’t.

The biggest leap for me was one year at summer seminar, Jerry Bobby held a round table for copper weenies after int grading class, basically identified and showed examples from the ANA vault of what treated coins look like and why and what to stay away from. Wallet slammed shut after that. I had thought I was doing so good too!! Humbling.

Let’s just pretend this coins color is a natural occurrence, it doesn’t matter, the market for slabbed dominates and they ultimately decide if it’s right on or not. I’m going with PCGS on this topic.

The decisions for me here are basically not to dump it on some unsuspecting copper newbie, which I won’t do. I’ll keep it to see just how much more it turns in case it’s not done showing me something.

Thanks. These are all off topic thoughts, I apologize, I love seeing your killers folks, just thought a problem *s might be relevant.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

In talking to a Finalizer at NGC last year, he told me they don't hand out "stars" for color like they used to. I can attest to that fact from personal experience.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is precisely why I refuse to buy RD coppers. I also have been burned by this--two of my early Lincolns turned in their slabs after I had them about 1 year.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one has a plus and a star! Double double premium? :p:D

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    This is precisely why I refuse to buy RD coppers. I also have been burned by this--two of my early Lincolns turned in their slabs after I had them about 1 year.

All copper eventually turns brown, then black. It's just the rate at which it happens. I will only buy RB or BN copper coins because in some things I don't like surprises - especially when they cost me money.

thefinn
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great discussion! My stars can be viewed in my registry sets. Way too many to post!

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Many have crossed and, yes, I think that people tend to hold what's left. I rarely see Star Walkers. I only own one. It was priced reasonably, so I grabbed it up right away.

This makes me feel better about only owning 1 star peace dollar as a peace dollar collector. Oddly enough it is a blast white coin with uncertainty over why it starred at all. I also own a single star walker, my 2nd favorite series. Also a blast white coin, but the star is for pl qualities.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file