Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where are all the NGC stars??

2»

Comments

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I only have this one example. The colors and lustre are difficult to photograph.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Talking with a colleague tonight about coins and he commented that he's not seen any stars up for auction lately. I figured that they are in strong hands now. He thought they were being crossed over. Other opinions??

Most of significant value have been crossed or cracked.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

All mine been purchased by retail buyers and I ask a hefty premium on these.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned a star coin once that had altered surfaces .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Stars!

photo NGC_MS67RB_Combo2.jpg

photo NGC PF67 Star Cameo Combo 2.jpg

photo GC_1957PR69Star_Cameo_Roosie_ComboB.jpg

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

My only "star" designated coin, but its a doozy:

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome 1950-D! Difficult to find like that

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

@lusterlover said:

@WildIdea said:
    This coin it an interesting case. A 1920 Lincoln cent I bought when I was building my early dates in 65. I had to step up a little, but why not when it’s a lower value date. Although basically a RD coin and I was buying BN, RB for the set, it had a wash of color in the right field I thought was neat.....

You know, there are 70 coins in a date and mint set of Lincoln’s from 09-33. This was the only coin to turn in the purchases I made in the 6-7 years it took to build the set. Coin held 10 years now out of sheer love of Lincolns. They have sat in intercept shield individual coin holders inside IS 10 coin boxes. Room dehumidifier year round.

These were the photos I took for my registry set at the time.

Now it has turned in the holder the telltale orange of a recolored Lincoln cent. I’m OK with it being the lesson coin it was only a few hundred dollars, not thousands. Taught me something. That just because a coin has a star it doesn’t mean I should stretch or trust it. I can see now that the toning wasn’t just a wash of color, but the begging stages of this coin turning from its chemical treatments.

This is it now. To me this is total trash.

I think from those original pictures, it would have fooled anybody. It looked like some nice original skin. Funny you don't like it now but toned Lincolns are super hot currently and you could probably flip that for a nice profit.

Likely your coin was in the 'begging stages' of color turn when it was in its original holder then turned when exposed to oxygen on the reholder. Still a nice coin I think.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file