Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

One of life's big mysteries, MS-70.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2018 5:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just graded a box of twenty 2018 coins, SE and modern Issue Silver Commemorative dollars. I used a 7X hand lens and a stereo scope set at low power (7X). Nineteen coins were MS-70's. Nineteen out of twenty and I'm looking for marks. I didn't even see one lint mark either. How does this happen? How can the mint strike large silver coins, pack 'em, ship 'em, the collector ships them, they are removed from capsules and are PERFECT! I can say there is a big difference from the coins in monster box tubes yet...wow. I'm worried about loosing my deserved reputation for tough grading. B)

I need to go home and beat the dog!

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

with automation, there's no reason for the mint not to produce mostly 70 quality coins.

• Options

But these things are coming from TV buyers. They probably don't know the other coins (XF Buffalo) exist!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I remember when MS70 was a theoretical grade for a coin that was absolutely perfect and that such a coin didn't exist.

That was probably back when we had real standards that didn't evolve or did that period ever really exist?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

19 out of 20? Wow... that is indeed an unusual submission. But please don't beat the dog... ;)
    @cameonut2011 ...the hobby has never had real standards...There are general categories with no hard boundaries.... the final judgement is a refined opinion. Someday, we may get real standards... that would be great - but then, what would we have to debate?? :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

:blush:

Where is Mister E when I need him ?

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

keeps the aftermarket prices down for modern 69's so I'm okay with the grade, for that reason.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@PerryHall said:
    I remember when MS70 was a theoretical grade for a coin that was absolutely perfect and that such a coin didn't exist.

That was probably back when we had real standards that didn't evolve or did that period ever really exist?

Nope, At least one major TPGS refused to use the grade of MS-70 in the late 90's, well after standards had slipped.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@PerryHall said:

Nope, At least one major TPGS refused to use the grade of MS-70 in the late 90's, well after standards had slipped.

Neat. I didn't remember that. Which one? I do remember when NGC wouldn't even consider moderns though. I'll get hate for this, but I think that was the right approach so as to avoid artificial rarity.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2018 1:54PM

Well my last 9 coins sent to PCGS ALL 69s. Not one (70) so you have better luck than me. I wish you worked in the grading room at PCGS.

I should of just gave in and Purchased them all from MCM Apmex L&C etc. all at Premium costs.

• Options

AFAIK, NGC was the last service to buckle in. It is good they eventually followed the others because there really are perfect coins made if we don't include the edge as many would then not make the grade.

BTW, a perfect coin for me has no nicks, no spots, no hairlines, no luster breaks (rub), and no mint made inclusions at whatever power of magnification I wish to use, That's what is so amazing to me, how do so many
    MS/PR-70 coins exist by my standards?

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I just graded a box of twenty 2018 coins, SE and modern Issue Silver Commemorative dollars. I used a 7X hand lens and a stereo scope set at low power (7X). Nineteen coins were MS-70's. Nineteen out of twenty and I'm looking for marks. I didn't even see one lint mark either. How does this happen? How can the mint strike large silver coins, pack 'em, ship 'em, the collector ships them, they are removed from capsules and are PERFECT! I can say there is a big difference from the coins in monster box tubes yet...wow. I'm worried about loosing my deserved reputation for tough grading. B)

I need to go home and beat the dog!

Lay off the dog!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when MS65 was tops.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that there might be few MS-70 (perfect) American Silver Eagles out there. The mint does a great job of avoiding marks on those coins. I've seen it from the pieces I have purchased to give out as prizes at our club meetings.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe we are too paranoid about all the things that can "damage" coins, it usually takes a lot of mishandling to impair a coin; I see it pervasively in US society, every one wants to ensure safety in fear of something terrible happening....

• Options

@AUandAG said:

I grew up with MS-65 the top grade. When I became a grader at NGC it was drummed into my head that there were still five grades above MS-65!

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@AUandAG said:

I grew up with MS-65 the top grade. When I became a grader at NGC it was drummed into my head that there were still five grades above MS-65!

And there always have been grades above MS-65. About the only people who don't believe that are a few of the EAC graders. For some of them, MS-60 is too high for anything.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

19 out of 20 MS70 is pretty amazing. What did that 20th coin grade? And at what point do you bring the grade down to a MS69? A spot? A hairline scratch? I really should get out my magnifier and exam those 69's vs 70's closer and see if I can pick out the differences!

• Options

@Onastone said:
    19 out of 20 MS70 is pretty amazing. What did that 20th coin grade? And at what point do you bring the grade down to a MS69? A spot? A hairline scratch? I really should get out my magnifier and exam those 69's vs 70's closer and see if I can pick out the differences!

For Proof coins, sometimes it's tiny hole in the mirrored fields that was in the die when the piece was made.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

When I grew up, it was drummed into my head that the line between AU and UNC was a hard one. I look at grades on Capped Bust halves and quarters, and am unsure what the rules are.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Princess and the pea.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 This may seem unfair, but if coins were graded without respect to their being PR or MS, what would you now grade those coins?

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@Insider2 said:

When I grew up, it was drummed into my head that the line between AU and UNC was a hard one. I look at grades on Capped Bust halves and quarters, and am unsure what the rules are.

C'mon, a little friction never hurt a 200 year old coin !

• Options

@Insider2 said:

>

BTW, a perfect coin for me has no nicks, no spots, no hairlines, no luster breaks (rub), and no mint made inclusions at whatever power of magnification I wish to use, That's what is so amazing to me, how do so many

By your standards, how do any exist at all? At any magnification level? Even 20-30x? 50x? 100x?

• Options

@Onastone said:

Any defect drops the coin from a 70 for me. One coin had a tiny white spot in the field +69. Sure, since no TPGS guarantees MS-70 SE anymore due to spotting, I could have cheated and made the customer happy - NOT!>

@BillJones said: "And there always have been grades above MS-65."

Technically, you are correct. Before MS-66, 67, 68, and 69 were included in an expanded grading scale, there was only MS-60, MS-65, and one grade above 65. It was MS-70. :)

@BillJones said: "For Proof coins, sometimes it's tiny hole in the mirrored fields that was in the die when the piece was made."

I confess to never having seen one of these tiny holes in the field. I have seen tiny lint marks and tiny holes in the frosted relief design of Proofs. Additionally, I find we grade more MS coins 70 than Proofs. Many proofs have very tiny smudges and stains or a single hairline. :(

@OldIndianNutKase said: "@Insider2 This may seem unfair, but if coins were graded without respect to their being PR or MS, what would you now grade those coins?"

Seems like a worthy honest question but I may not understand it. I guess I would grade a perfect coin 70 as it would not matter how it was produced. put one tiny defect on it and it would grade 69. BTW, some TPGS's allow for one or two tiny mint-made imperfections to be on a coin they grad 70. Additionally, many SE are graded by naked eye alone. NOT BY ME. So I'll guarantee I can easily find tons of SE from each major TPGS that are not 70's. Additionally, we pay the light bill with all the fools that send NGC and PCGS 69's hoping for an upgrade to a 70! LOL.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Insider2 said:

>

By your standards, how do any exist at all? At any magnification level? Even 20-30x? 50x? 100x?

Read my post. 70's are common for some coins. So far, 95% of the WW-1 Pr's and MS coins have been 70's Go figure.

As this stuff about magnification is simple to test for yourself. If I cannot find a defect on a coin at 7X using my stereoscope and fluorescent light, one will not show up if I crank up the power to 40X. :wink:

• Options
    EzmoneyEzmoney Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

Lol..... the first thing is the command of the English language. It’s “lose” not “loose” the second thing is it’s “Tito’s” not “Grey Goose”- Cheers Coin nerds!!!!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    with automation, there's no reason for the mint not to produce mostly 70 quality coins.

Yes, with modern manufacturing techniques this should be the norm.

• Options

@Ezmoney said:
    Lol..... the first thing is the command of the English language. It’s “lose” not “loose” the second thing is it’s “Tito’s” not “Grey Goose”- Cheers Coin nerds!!!!

I'm a looser so I can tell another when I read a post. I know folks who would only use Tito's to disinfect a kitchen countertop or their toilet bowl.

PS @Ezmoney, there are some semi-literate folks around here making more money than you can even dream of in spite of your command of the language and wanna-be "handle." :) Perhaps you'll learn to overlook improper English one day and take something useful away from the writer's comments. You can start with this post. <3

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re capable of manufacturing objects the size of coins to tolerances that are orders of magnitude better than what graders put into 70 holders. It’s just a matter of practicality and cost.

It’s slightly absurd, really, to use the same arbitrary grading scale for coins made from impure, hand-rolled planchets and hand-tooled punches to those made with CNC machines and modern materials. Coin-making technology has evolved much further than we realize sometimes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file