Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Regrade Versus Reconsideration Service

I had my collection of Franklin Halves, Morgan and Peace Dollars graded by PCGS many years ago before the + designation was used. The quality is high with coins grading 65 to 67. I suspect some should get a + or even a point higher in a few cases.

Am I better with regrade or reconsideration service.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot wait to hear answer for this OP's question. Let's see, I send a coin to a grading service in 1990. Gradeflation takes place. It is now 2020 (thirty years later) so the TPGS reconsiders the grade? Do they charge a fee for the 90% of coins that will increase in grade? .

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were me, I would consult with somebody you know (and can trust) to review the coins that have a slam dunk, vs possibly, vs not a chance and submit those, and not waste money on the ones that wont. If your keeping the set intact, the blue label vs old green label would be bothersome to me in a set, but if there planning on being broke up to sell down the road, don't mater so much. (what ever you do, don't get the retro green holders, market hates em and so does cac )

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I understand it, reconsideration keeps the old holder if the coin doesn't upgrade. If you have some OGH holders, that's something to consider. Years ago, I sent in a SLQ for reconsideration because it was in a 1st gen. holder and didn't want to lose it if the coin didn't upgrade (it didn't).

Agree w J Dimmick re having someone you trust look over the coins first. Sometimes a + can help a coin's market value (like with an old type coin), often times, it does not.

I am considering sending in a few coins graded at a similar point in time as yours. They are MS 65 and MS 66. If I can't get a full point upgrade, I don't want to send them in. They're all stickered.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reconsideration: More conservative grading through plastic, you keep the holder, and you pay tier price + 1%
    Regrade: Best chance at upgrade (cracked by PCGS and graded as raw), and you pay only the tier price

Unless you have collectible plastic or the 1% is negligible to you, then regrade is usually the way to go.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2018 5:14PM

Unless you are planning to sell, I wouldn't bother submitting them now as it will effectively be a donation to PCGS. Some of the grade swings are insane, and it is difficult to predict which way. I have had several coins upgrade or downgrade sporadically with a number of 2 point/interval swings and one that went from unc. details to MS66. Go figure. Of course, I simply cracked and submitted as raw rather than submitting as a regrade to submit with other raw coins to prevent having to make a separate submission. Regrade is safer.

• Options
    ricardounoricardouno Posts: 238 ✭✭

I am thinking of selling a good many of them. So I take it regrade is the best way to go, in general?

• Options

@ricardouno said:
    I am thinking of selling a good many of them. So I take it regrade is the best way to go, in general?

Unless you are protecting collectible plastic or a CAC sticker, yes.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like an awful lot of 'holder envy' going on

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...sounds like an Awesome collection!...I would send them all to CAC and then go from there...maybe after that I do a run of the lowest tier of each series in regards to grade and crack those and send in raw...that way I know it’s unbiased and it’s a good sample to see where they are at in comparison to when you originally got them graded...if there are good results from that, then the vice would be running hot in the man cave for a couple hours solid...if results aren’t good then at least you didn’t burn the whole op in one load ;)

I also don’t have anything near as nice as what it sounds like you have...before I cracked or had anything re-graded I would at least have them checked to see if the plastic is in itself collectible (like gen 1 PCGS or NGC). Hope you have fun with whatever you choose on doing and Great Luck to you ;)

• Options
    ricardounoricardouno Posts: 238 ✭✭

Thanks for your viewpoint and kind words.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the regrade advice..... be sure to let us know how it works out... That will be good information for the forum. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Yes Cameonut is offering the best advice- regrade

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@ricardouno said:
    I had my collection of Franklin Halves, Morgan and Peace Dollars graded by PCGS many years ago before the + designation was used. The quality is high with coins grading 65 to 67. I suspect some should get a + or even a point higher in a few cases.

Am I better with regrade or reconsideration service.

Thanks for any help.

I would resubmit the coins as you eliminate the down side. I spoke with PCGS about this issue and and was told a re submission will come back no lower grade but can go higher.

• Options
    MercuryBenMercuryBen Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Neither regrade nor reconsideration will result in a lower grade. A lower grade will typically only occur if you crack and resubmit. My recommendation is as follows: (1) reconsideration for all coins not in edgeview holders, (2) reconsideration for all coins with cac certification if you are concerned about immediate resale value and do not want to send multiple times, and (3) regrade for everything.

Another consideration is TrueView. If you send all for regrade secure, you will receive nice TrueViews of the whole collection. If you send for reconsideration secure, you will only receive TrueViews for those that upgrade.

• Options
    MercuryBenMercuryBen Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

To add additional context to my comment above, I personally don't care for CAC and usually send my upgrade candidates multiple times, so I often send CAC coins in for regrade and not reconsideration. Not a big deal if I lose the sticker. It should only be a consideration in your decision tree if you are looking to sell immediately after receiving your results and have no plans to ever resubmit again.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:
    As I understand it, reconsideration keeps the old holder if the coin doesn't upgrade. If you have some OGH holders, that's something to consider. Years ago, I sent in a SLQ for reconsideration because it was in a 1st gen. holder and didn't want to lose it if the coin didn't upgrade (it didn't).

Agree w J Dimmick re having someone you trust look over the coins first. Sometimes a + can help a coin's market value (like with an old type coin), often times, it does not.

I am considering sending in a few coins graded at a similar point in time as yours. They are MS 65 and MS 66. If I can't get a full point upgrade, I don't want to send them in. They're all stickered.

I have never been a fan of the 'plus' system. It appears to be set up for 'registry' sets only. I believe a coin is what it is, be it a 63, 66, or whatever. I recently purchased a wlh out of the Duckor collection in which a 'plus' coin in the same grade sold for over four times as much, while I believe the coin which I purchased was the nicer coin by far.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file