Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coinstar Finds

FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

A few U.S. coins, a couple of Canadian coins, and a WHAT?!

From a quick search the unicorn man coin is a two sided Ripley's Believe It or Not token. Supposedly the tokens were given out in the Believe It or Not books. Coolest coin I've found in a Coinstar.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool token, but maybe add it to the running thread for posterity.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

The running thread is much too long and as a result is of no interest anymore. I, for one, never even glance at it. Interesting finds should be posted separately just as this poster has done.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2018 9:15PM

I agree, if I opened the coin star thread it would take me a week to look at buttons, dimes, Canadians, flat cents, etc....

Ok you get the idea. Some threads either have devote followers, like the Barber, and the before mentioned Coin Star, and Some time you don't give it a second glance.

it's ok to show something new. Imo.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am afraid to open that Barber thread. Same for the DCarr thread. I am too far behind.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I am afraid to open that Barber thread. Same for the DCarr thread. I am too far behind.

Ok so you get the idea, I love DC, stuff, but won't open the Barber or Coin Star threads.

But doesn't mean I don't want to see a great looking half. Or a cool find someone found in a coin slot every now and then.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I have never seen a 'unicorn man' token before... neat find. Cheers, RickO

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FHC said:
    A few U.S. coins, a couple of Canadian coins, and a WHAT?!

From a quick search the unicorn man coin is a two sided Ripley's Believe It or Not token. Supposedly the tokens were given out in the Believe It or Not books. Coolest coin I've found in a Coinstar.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today was a good day at Coinstar, British 5 pence coin 2003, US dime clad 2004, two white dimes 1956 and 1961, and a 1981 cent.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the South Danota quarter. Pm damage I suppose.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

16.1m

that is a monster size image.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm slow. I think I know what Coinstar is. You take your loose change and they pay you bills for it? How do you find these coins? Do they go to a reject slot?
    Next question is does Coinstar take a % of your money in return? Sorry if this has been gone over before.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I guess I'm slow. I think I know what Coinstar is. You take your loose change and they pay you bills for it? How do you find these coins? Do they go to a reject slot?
    Next question is does Coinstar take a % of your money in return? Sorry if this has been gone over before.

Coinstar machines are in many retail stores, grocery, Walmart and others. You dump change you have saved in a jar or whatever and dump them into the machine. It counts them and gives you a receipt to give a cashier for your cash. It takes a percentage maybe 10% for the service. There is a reject bin on the front of the machine where rejected coins land. People sometimes leave the rejects behind. Silver is rejected, hence the lure of coinstar reject bins to members here. Sometimes other items of interest are rejected as well.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Smudge. I've seen the machines but didn't get the allure of them. I throw all my change (not as much now because of debit cards), roll it once a year and use it for spending money on vacation.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file