Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Picture Background Color?

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 25, 2018 8:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What color do you prefer as the background of your images?

TV is white with a PCGS text. What color do you use for your own images?

EDIT2: Just created this image. Trying out the PSA label.... I think I still like black

Coin Picture Background Color?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grey scale is the photo standard of pros everywhere. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2018 4:14PM

System is calibrated using a Kodak 18% gray card and Photoshop's monitor calibration routines. I drop out the original background and paste the coin image into neutral white RGB (255-255-255). This works best for me for publications.

Using a colored background during original photography can result in color contamination, especially of the rims. Photograph with a neutral background, then crop and paste into your desired color/texture.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a royal blue for most pictures (see my signature coin). Red works best for coppers.

Rules......................pfffft.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I use a royal blue for most pictures (see my signature coin). Red works best for coppers.

Rules......................pfffft.

Red would be interesting..

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used blue 99% of the time when the coin or token is raw. NGC coins force you into white, at least with old holders. Prong holders leave me with blue well in the background.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the coin pictures with the black background....With good lighting on the coin, it makes the detail stand out and forces the eye to focus on the coin. Cheers, RickO

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

White

We have ourselves a tie folks...

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I voted black...what ricko said

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried many background colors............and asked here..............I think the color depends on the coin itself. :smile:
    Great question, Lets see what people here think :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally use black.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm the "Other." Your images are so good it didn't matter to me at all.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other, depends on the coin. Personally I like black for silver and gold and a lighter background for copper/bronze. For a mixed set, or if I'm trying to keep the background bland, I go for a lighter grey.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black for me.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of the black background on your examples, but both look very realistic to me.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I set the white balance on the camera using an 18% gray card. After that I shot the coin on dark blue.

Larry

edited June 24, 2018 7:41PM

@ldhair said:
    I set the white balance on the camera using an 18% gray card. After that I shot the coin on dark blue.

I am currently using a white index card for setting white balance. I am going to purchase a 18% grey card.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

black, i think the coin stands out more. jmo

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley said:
    I voted black...what ricko said

Ditto Black I also back Ricko!!!!!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2018 1:47PM

Black for most coins, especially gold. Pretty toners often look better on white. DCAM proofs often look better on white too. I'm not a huge fan of colors you'd find in a rainbow. You can cheat and use a gradient rim over a white background like our host does with TV's. You can see the way I do it below.

Here's a couple I have images for each way. I think the Lincoln is better on white and the gold on black. YMMV.

@BryceM I think I will go with black unless the coin blends in (as your Lincoln does) in the image above. Then white.

Good pics!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally favor white background since I think it highlights the coin more - ala naked. However, Black is a nice contrast with gold coins.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

White. Just the way my eyes work.
    Lance.

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2018 8:49PM

All black or all white is fine by me. However, I tend to use black myself at this point more for consistency sake than anything else.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

@MikeInFL said:
    All black or all white is fine by me. However, I tend to use black myself at this point more for consistency sake than anything else.

I hear you on this. I will have to be consistent too! Otherwise my coin induced OCD will give me issues. :o

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, it depends on the coin.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black, except for brown copper.

@asheland said:
    To me, it depends on the coin.

If the coin is too close to black on the edges (toning..), I think that would be the only time I would stray from black.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some slabs are offered in black or white, both are pretty nice. I've seen a reflective foil background.....that makes me say YECHHHHHHHH. White is elegant and black is bold. Both are good depending on the coin. I'm not sure if I would like gray.

@Onastone said:
    Some slabs are offered in black or white, both are pretty nice. I've seen a reflective foil background.....that makes me say YECHHHHHHHH. White is elegant and black is bold. Both are good depending on the coin. I'm not sure if I would like gray.

Reflective foil background... Yeah, not a good idea.

• rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems odd no one has mentioned a textured background. I take many pics on texture in order to avoid having to crop. Raw coins of course. I created a textured background at one time to paste cropped coins onto as well.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Black takes the win. Thanks for voting everyone. Also, happy 4th of July!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file