Home Precious Metals
Options

Is it legal to melt ASE's or AGE's ?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 18, 2018 1:14PM in Precious Metals

Is it legal to melt Modern Silver/Gold American Eagles ?
Just wondering :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely...

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is a GSE anything like a AGE? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Is a GSE anything like a AGE? ;)

I'll let you know when I find my glasses :smile:
    Thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you want to ? :(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cents and nickels though are endangered and protected.

• Options

@Timbuk3 said:

Why not! They are considered bullion coins.....Thousand were melted during the last gold run -up 2010-2012, along with first spouse 1/2 oz gold coins. Just ask any bullion dealer. Those were the good ole days.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Timbuk3 said:

Why not! They are considered bullion coins.....Thousand were melted during the last gold run -up 2010-2012, along with first spouse 1/2 oz gold coins. Just ask any bullion dealer. Those were the good ole days.

because as an investment they are more desirable in their original state than they are in a block of unknown quality gold.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

derryb.....The question was: "Is it legal to melt Modern Silver/Gold American Eagles?"

and there is only one answer...YES

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a waste of energy.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    derryb.....The question was: "Is it legal to melt Modern Silver/Gold American Eagles?"

and there is only one answer...YES

And the follow up question of "why would you want to?" was answered with "why not." I simply provided a logical reason for "why not."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not consider melting my AGE's or ASE's.... far more 'liquid' in coin form... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see a jeweler or a small manufacturer of custom made jewelry or some other artisan using coins that are only worth close to melt as a readily available source of gold and silver. Otherwise, melting coins just to make a bar of metal doesn't make financial sense.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    I could see a jeweler or a small manufacturer of custom made jewelry or some other artisan using coins that are only worth close to melt as a readily available source of gold and silver. Otherwise, melting coins just to make a bar of metal doesn't make financial sense.

It does and it did for a lot of the "bullion" ASEs, AGE's & first spouse gold coins, those that had tripled or quadrupled in value over a short period of time during the run up ending in 2011-2012. It was more profitable to sell them to refiners directly instead of marketing them. The margin over bullion value for those coins was just to slim. I'm not talking about the Proof or Mint Marked coins, except for the first spouse fiasco.