Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Share your funny moments on our forum

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Was just thinking of the great and funny moments we've had here over the years.

For those who remember Collector222 and his bourgeoning TPG, aka NGS, the battle of the belittles between Roach and Beachbum, the literary genius of the great Scumbi just to name a few.

Here's my favorite (I've shared in the past - but we have many newcomers) - please - if you have? Share!

OP: "I'm interested in all cards of Yogi Berra when he actively played"

Responder: "I've got a really nice PSA 5 '52 Berk Ross"

OP: "Sorry, I'm only interested in Yogi"

Mike

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

That still cracks me up.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2018 6:43PM

There was a dude on here years back named snuffaluffagus who was a genius with photoshop. I wish I save a few photos, his work was second to none. Miss him lol

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

This thread had one of my finest moments: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/8770320#Comment_8770320

I also remember some great threads back in the day when our buddy Chaz got started. I believe he was talking about how GAI was going to rule the grading card world. And he called us "turkeys". Chaz was actually a good guy deep down.

• Options

I remember that thread Bill.

I miss Jeff aka mudflap.

He was supposed to go to OCS but never heard anything about it.

Back around 04 or 05 when they still had the Open Forum, someone - it might have been Jeff - went over there and kept answering one of the coin guys in a haiku which made the guy more angry by the minute - he started cursing at him and it just spiraled out of control. Funny as all get out!

I didn't even know it was going on - but Steve aka winpitcher pm'ed me and said: "ya gotta see this!"

The OF was like the wild wild west in those days - long gone now forever.

Mike
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    This thread had one of my finest moments: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/8770320#Comment_8770320

I also remember some great threads back in the day when our buddy Chaz got started. I believe he was talking about how GAI was going to rule the grading card world. And he called us "turkeys". Chaz was actually a good guy deep down.

I’ll never forget :

PSA 6
    CHAZ

• Options

Scumbi or PSatan wrote a thread with Mr Mint as the main character - called - "A Case of the Goudeys"

It was supposed to be epically funny but when I tried to retrieve it - I found the page is gone.

Wish I could find it - I really can't remember if I read it or not?

Mike
  • Options

Just to add to the nostalgia, I added my first "icon" to my sig line.

Mike
  • Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Sure do.

Did anyone actually figure out who this was?

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Panadrews, because that guy could really hit it

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Sure do.

Jenny is clearly a cypher. If you use a double replacement key to crack it, you get Tim and Crisser. They conspired to teach the rest of us a very important unopened lesson.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

That "road trip" thread from years ago, wasn't "funny" per se, but very entertaining.

Two guys from here drove a very long way to pickup a lot of modern junk for cheap or free, i forget which, hoping there might be some good stuff mixed in there.

I think it turned out to be a wasted trip, but the comings and goings of the journey were fun to follow.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018 7:19PM

What about when stevek used to think every new poster was with some online poker affiliate trying to rope in the CU masses to play online poker. That was hysterical, and by hysterical I mean absolutely the stupidest thing ever.

• Options

@ZTarg said:
    What about when stevek used to think every new poster was with some online poker affiliate trying to rope in the CU masses to play online poker. That was hysterical, and by hysterical I mean absolutely the stupidest thing ever.

Thanks for remembering. LOL

• Options

Thanx for sharing guys.

Does anyone remember a guy named Fandango?

He had more conspiracy theories on just about anything and everything to do with the hobby.

Mike
  • Options

I think "Vargha" was not only the funniest poster ever here, but the funniest poster I've ever seen on any internet forum. He just has an amazing, natural sense of humor that is remarkable.

When Dave "came back" as a baseball card collecting shiek from the Middle East, those posts were laugh out loud, spit take funny.

Dave was an Open Forum regular, and I enjoyed the OF as well. But Mike is right, "long gone now forever."

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Sure do.

I think the answer would make us all jump, jump

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

@Stone193 said:

Sure do.

I think the answer would make us all jump, jump

Hopefully not like the Van Halen song. :|

• Options
    edited June 18, 2018 9:49AM

When Vargha got the axe - for days a bunch of members put his icon on their sig line.

David came to SA 2 or 3 times and we had dinner and talked. He's quite intelligent with an ironic sense of humor. He can be a bunch at times, however one on one? He's a good guy IMO.

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Every once in awhile David will post something on 54, but I have not seen him since that time we had dinner with him, Mike.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

That was some time ago - I saw him once more after that.

Did you get my PM Al?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    When Vargha got the axe - for days a bunch of members put his icon on their sig line.

David came to SA 2 or 3 times and we had dinner and talked. He's quite intelligent with an ironic sense of humor. He can be a bunch at times, however one on one? He's a good guy IMO.

Very nice that you guys got together for dinner.

I also chatted with him a little bit over at 54, but that was a long time ago now.

Hopefully he's doing well. :)

• Options

@stevek said:

@Stone193 said:

Very nice that you guys got together for dinner.

I also chatted with him a little bit over at 54, but that was a long time ago now.

Hopefully he's doing well. :)

David had changed jobs and moved from CA to the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

Had not heard from him in a long time - hope he's doing well - my last thought was that he sometimes responds to a FB acct. entitled Notltesse or something like that - I'm not on FB anymore.

Mike
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

To me, the most humorous of all time is the charade of a former poster who is no longer with us that was a total scammer that seemed to somehow create many "friends" here with his so-called generosity. In reality, it was a thin line between sad and humorous.

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

This one time I met this guy in a bar to buy some cards. He shows up riding this horse. The bartender looks at the horse and asks "Why the long face?"
    I will be here all week folks. Be sure to tip your waitresses.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Some a** clown spewed a bunch of crap to “prove” that Brett was a better player than Schmidt. The guy was relentless. Kept repeating the same irrelevant “facts.”

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@markj111 said:
    Some a** clown spewed a bunch of crap to “prove” that Brett was a better player than Schmidt. The guy was relentless. Kept repeating the same irrelevant “facts.”

LOL+++++++++

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

I don’t have time to find the thread now but these stick out to me.
    Cdsnuts quote went something like this in some thread.
    This thread isn’t about you this thread is about another guy acting like a moron, why are you trying to steal his thunder?

This from blowout (can’t remember the poster off hand) one of those what did you get with your eBay bucks.

I used my bucks to get something really nice for my wife..........................Just kidding I blew it all on cards.

One more from blowout (same as above) someone asked why Durant’s autos sold for less than some other players? I can’t remember whom.

Guy post back, The same reason Judas autos sell for less than the other disciples. Lol

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

Don't know why Tim but it reminds me of this quote:

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.”

― W.C. Fields

Mike
  • Options

Just a few of the many classics in that thread.

@edmundfitzgerald said:
    I don't know what's better. This guy who faked the rip, or my wife who fakes orgasms.

@CDsNuts said:
    The only person that cared about your 88 Fleer boxes is gecko and he's long gone. This thread isn't about you. It's about someone else acting like a complete moron. Why are you trying to steal his thunder?

@WinPitcher said:
    No asswipe, re read it. Unlike you I don't have too.

You have to since you always seem to mention it in just about every thread you are in.

This was my first time. I've been here since 04, I've seen you brag about it at least 20 times.

If you are not bragging about what you earn you are whining about what other people get.

If you are not bragging about how much you made last year you are crying that someone else got free day care.

If you are not whining about being charged 3.00 postage from an ebay seller you are out charging that and more.

Steve

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018 9:35PM

Oh, my.

Gecko. First-ballot Asshat Hall of Fame. Any thread he was involved in was an instant classic.

Was just talking about Fandango with Bobby Porter, Matt Miller and Tim Becker last week on the way to dinner. That dude was bat-feces crazy.

Bill Holler (lsutigers1973) was one of the guys that drove that UHaul to pick up that big stack of wax. Can't remember who the other guy was.

The time Tommy (corvette1340) revealed he'd been... ahem... familiar with his boss was entertaining. And then he'd been chilling with Julio Jones.

But this thread is one of my all time favorites. Many, many people learned what a Milton Bradley card was and wasn't, but unfortunately not the OP.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/865960/help-trolls-have-taken-over-my-thread-two-topps-ryan-rookies-for-whomever-can-get-rid-of-them/p1

edit: soooo many former members with the red avatar of shame. Great memories of most of those guys.

edit #2: jackleg! haaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I forgot all about jackleg. And haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! reminds me of Randy, which reminds me that it wasn't Randy at all. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!