Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

...and the WINNER is..........the 'Dedicated And Devoted' D~A~D

2»

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread little girl :)
    I would like to wish all dad’s the best day ever. Keep on dading :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Yes sorry about you father. I know how it is not to have them around I catch my self ready to say lets go over to my parents house, They passed many years ago I was in my 30's when they both passed on it's hard not to have them around. Happy fathers day to you and all the others out there.

Sorry to hear that Type2. Wishing you a Happy Fathers Day as well.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

No longer have my father or stepdad. Thought I was going to be a dad myself a few years ago but...I don't feel like telling that story now. My girlfriend/possible soon to be fiance' can no longer have kids but has two sons. So I guess it's not in the cards for me to be a dad but who knows... maybe stepdad. Respect to all the dads out there.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2018 8:49PM

June 1st 2018 ,Babylon Village Art & Music Festival, Sidewalk Chalk Contest. My 7 yrs old won 1st place and 3 yrs old won 3rd!

And scored! Lot of gift certificates from admissions to theaters, dinners, ice cream, boutiques, jewelry, gift shops etc with both prizes combine!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great thread! I have 3 sons and a daughter...and they always send me the most touching cards on Father's day. We have a tradition in my family of making our own cards (being cheap? or is it more personal?) whatever... they are more interesting .... I love the ying-yang coin and just had to get in on the chance to win, thank you very much! I will share an example of one with you all...

Dad, you're awesome! Plain and simple. Your helping heart reminds me to work hard, & love harder. Happy Fathers day.....Now how can that not feel great to hear? Happy Fathers day to all of you too!

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm My mother and I still make our own. Grandma did until she got too old to do it. I think the other side of the family might. I think it's a very wonderful gesture. Good on you guys!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've raised them well @TurboSnail...I see a lot of passions in their drives <3

• Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

I would say that I'm proud of my 3 daughters every day. But the fact that my oldest has come through so many health issues to be a huge bright spot on everyone she meets is amazing. She required open heart surgery at 6 months, has a feeding tube but none of this slows her down and everyone that meets her immediately falls in love with her. She is one of my angels and each and every one of them are special to me for different reasons. Being a father has been one of the biggest and most important jobs I've been given the honor to hold. Happy fathers day to all of the fathers out there!!

And thanks for this post.

The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options

<3<3<3 for the girls @achtey

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hunting and fishing is a big deal for those of us living in the Alaska area. Two years ago I took my two sons out for our first big camping/deer hunting trip. They were 12 and 14 at the time. My dad set up camp the week before season and was along for he trip. The four of us out for opening week of the season and helped watch one boy while I was hunting with the other. I think grandpa was even more proud than I. The primary goal of the trip, other than quality time with each other, was to get my older son his first buck.

On day one we put the stalk on a couple of young bucks but young hunters need that little extra time.

Day two we go to a different area. We find a nice forkie and it's down with one shot. We take care of that one and try another quick spot nearby. He picks up another nice forkie with one shot. He just tagged out in one day! I am so proud of him. We get back to camp and my younger son gets all excited. It's his turn and he has been practicing with grandpa while we were away.

Day three I take my younger son to that same area. I get out to show him the area where his brother scored his first buck just over the hill. I pull out the binoculars and start glassing. A few hundred yards off I see two bucks bedded down, I later find there was another small buck in the area but there is one very nice forkie down there. I lay out the plan, it is kinda open and we will proceed in a straight, slow, non-threatening pace to get close enough for a chance. His range was still quite limited and add in buck fever into the mix and we needed to cover some ground. During our walk I am watching and I start seeing the other smaller bucks start to get up and disappear but the bigger one is still holding tight. We get to a decent range and set up on a stump for a solid rest. We just wait a couple minutes before it stands up. Now we won't count shots made but the buck was patient with us and in no hurry which was nice because I think the buck fever was pulling the shots high. The last shot was a hit and anchored the buck in place. Both my sons picked up their first deer that trip, what a blessing!

Day four I take my younger son back to the day one hunting area. We hike in and see some deer but he does not seem to be as excited as I. We'll have to see if hunting is his going to be his thing. We see a small buck about a hundred yards off and he is all excited... for me to shoot it.

Needless to say, four deer in four days. Both of my son's first deer and a double for one. Spending time with my dad and my sons out in the wilds. I know that my dad was extremely proud with this trip just as I was. I couldn't ask for anything better!

• Options

:/ who is the little girl you referring to? :o

@crazyhounddog said:

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only child, a daughter, was a Brownie, a Girl Scout and made it through college in four years (we did bribe her by promising her a new car if she did so).

She waited until age thirty-three to find the perfect husband who let her quit her management job at age thirty-five to be a stay-at-home mom for her boys now ages sixteen and fourteen.

During her spare time (ha) she was a Cub Scout den mother, car pool driver, swim club football and band volunteer, President of the boy’s elementary school PTA, kitchen cleanup volunteer at church and runs a Etsy on-line business selling one-of-a-kind custom made craft items. I’m sure I’m forgetting plenty.

Her number one son is a leader and mentor to a group of third graders in a “Sunday School” class at church, got a part time job at Chick-Fil-A as soon as he turned fifteen an just made the tenor drum line in his high school marching band. Son number two will be entering high school with his big brother this year and has been selected to participate in the school’s Junior Achievement Academy and is “bulking up” at the gym over the summer so he can try out for football.

Wait a minute, isn’t this supposed to be why I should receive the Dedicated And Devoted' D~A~D Happy Father's Day award and NOT why my daughter should receive the Mother of the year award?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Then it is for BOTH @tommy44 :) They've accomplished much because of you <3

• Options

Happy Father's Day wherever you are....almost end of the day in the East Coast. I'll come up with the winner 1800 hour :)
    A little window of opportunity is still avail for all......

HAPPY FATHERS DAY

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last May 11th my father would have been 101. Been gone 28 years but in my memory everyday.

Got two kids that made sure I had a great day today!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<3 Happy Father's Day to your DAD. He is looking down HAPPY for his son o:)

@AUandAG said:
    Last May 11th my father would have been 101. Been gone 28 years but in my memory everyday.

Got two kids that made sure I had a great day today!

bob :)

• Options

What a smart & thoughtful gift.....They must've known their daddy very well <3 Happy Father's Day and stay safe out there :)

@Type2 said:
    I won already my girls made this for me. They said I hope there isn't any good one in there..... :o

• Options

Congratulations @Jimnight....you'll find this an interesting piece of artsy coin...... :)

• Options

;) FYI: I am not a little girl.....BUT that is not the reason you didn't win ;) PEACE ON <3

@crazyhounddog said:

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    I won already my girls made this for me. They said I hope there isn't any good one in there..... :o

If there is a "good one" in there, most likely that's where it will stay. It would probably break their heart to bust it out of there. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes there are some holder you should never crack. <3

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you....thank you....thank you.... It was great to read what everyone had to say about their loved ones..and share a little about mine.

Jim

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Yes there are some holder you should never crack. <3

Very cool holder indeed, should submit for green bean ;)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    Stepdad is still a dad. :heart: It just takes an extra "step". :)

I'm a pet dad. This will be the first year without my companion animal. He was old, losing his hearing and sight, and was an ornery old man for his age. Big old cat. Had no idea he was going to be 20lbs with a body as long as my leg. Big daddy had a big boy. :'(

My wife and I rescued him (and later his sister). We had just met and we were young so my wife was busy talking to her new work friends than my protestations of shaking legs, sweating and an upset stomach from food poisoning. I manage to pull her away and fill her in, and idk if it was some kind of divine punishment for something, but their toilet didn't flush. Number One only, great.

I'm sweating and clammy and shaking in the car trying not to pit my shants, cradling this gorgeous little puffball busy spitting at me and pawing at me, then giving the Love Me eyes. I never had so much fun during such distress lol.

We get back to the house and as I get out of the car my hands go for my belt and I punch in the code and run inside and get into the bathroom thinking "omg I didn't mess myself in front of this woman thank god she's a keeper".. and my hand slips. I fall. On my way down, I hit the door handle and it flung open. My stomach was not stopping. I can't imagine the horrors my wife saw, LOL

To this day when we talk about the day we rescued him my wife still pokes fun at me and we joke haha, how can you not lol. But there was no way, no how, of me letting that little guy go.

He jumped up on my shoulder when I first saw him and 10 years later I was able to teach him to jump from the floor into my arms on account of my bad back. He would do it sometimes with no warning haha. Empty hands then -boom- cat. I will miss that the most. His last night alive we played soccer and he jumped up on me and slept in my lap like a baby.

But I hope now that my little man is gone he can find peace from his arthritis and his allergy to his own teeth and the problems age brings.

I just wish we could have saved him. I guess every parent says that. Losing a pet is hard enough. My heart weeps for parents who have lost children. My dad was never the same when my brother died (on father's day no less).

But.. Dad is still here. I am still here. Our ladies and our companions are still here. For that, I'm the luckiest man in the world, and hope that our "kids" past and present will scurry through our ancestors legs and be there for us when it is time.

Great story man.....made me cry though. We lost our precious Rebecca in Jan. this year. Had her for 14 years. She never left my side. She is my avatar now and I will miss her forever. :'(<3

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to @jimnight.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to @Paradisefound for creating this thread with a slightly different view of the holiday,
    perhaps recast as "Father's Pride Day". :smile:

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge
    Thanks Smudge. First time I ever won anything... and I'm glad it was this one.. @Paradisefound is the best in my book.

Jim

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2018 12:11PM

@Paradisefound said:

@crazyhounddog said:

You of course. Who else? I sure hope I did not offend you with that statement. If so I do apologize.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<3 It's all good baby

@crazyhounddog said:

@Paradisefound said:

@crazyhounddog said:

You of course. Who else? I sure hope I did not offend you with that statement. If so I do apologize.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight Congratulations... cool item (I have one).....@Paradisefound..Great thread... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file