Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Collecting Software what are you using for your coin collection

GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I think I want to spend some time cataloging my collection through a good software program. Anybody out there using one. I found this one site which list various ones in use. Maybe you are using one and can give me the pro's and con's.

I am interested in listing all my coins along with maybe pictures per coin along with my value and then keeping a total inventory for tracking purpose. Since I use a computer so much it wont take long for me to figure these out I just don't want to buy one that only list value and wont let me inventory and track my coins. TYIA

Coin Collecting Software
Which One is Right for You?
Coin Collecting Software is available for your computer that will help you inventory and track your coin collection.

Coin software features vary from one software application to another, so it is hard to give advice as to the best software to purchase.
All brands of coin inventory software are designed with the collector in mind, however, and offer methods of saving time while cataloging your coin collection.

Coin Collecting software also makes it easier to maintain records of your collection.

Some coin collection software also offers the collector a library of images to help identify coins, and a few even have coin prices built right in.

In short, it is usually just a matter of each users needs and preferences. Try to find coin software that offers a free trial period to see if it suits your particular needs.

Below you will find a list of the most popular coin collecting software programs. You can get more information about the coin software that you are interested in by clicking the link next to each listing.

https://www.coin-collecting-guide-for-beginners.com/coin-collecting-software.html

Comments

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

Coin Manage from liberty street is what I use. I like it. This is literally a screen shot of my collection

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    edited June 9, 2018 11:51AM

I just looked at that will it allow me to add say my Daniel Carr coins and let me add a face value to it. So called dollars and civil war tokens too.

And thank you for sharing I just got done going through the video.

I will probably download the free trial and for 40 bucks can't really go wrong. I see they also have a Canadian and a United Kingdom. I been buying some 18th century coins from England and will probably end up getting that one too.

Ohh looks like the Delux version has all 3 included America, Canada and United Kingdom. Nice

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

it does raw silver and gold. You can create want lists and sell lists. They are nice for shows, you can just print out say roosevelt dimes and then you know what you have. The PCGS graded coins, you type in the cert and it auto populates all the info except acquisition cost and where you obtained it if you want.

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    edited June 9, 2018 11:58AM

Thank you david and tommy44! Downloading the Coin Manage Delux version now.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a 3 ring binder and PCGS registry/inventory.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excel and PCGS registry

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spreadsheet

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excel... master page for the KM#s and for the collection. Individual pages select coins for each of the sets

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago (about 12) I purchased a coin software package.... Looked at it and decided it was going to be too much work to populate.... so never did anything with it. By the way, Excel is a good system and it will take pictures also. Meanwhile, my inventory is all mental.... and sometimes I get a surprise... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excell Spreadsheets for all of the financial information. Many files of pictures by category for the coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS set registry for all us and any coins the have ever graded. I also created a log for my children. I update the later once a year.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am using Coin Manage also. The only issue I have with them is that they are a year behind in updates. I need to update and pay for 2018 but the software doesn't even have 2017 coins in it. So it seems that you pay for 2018 upgrade to receive 2017 coins. I emailed them inquiring about this and never received an answer. So not sure if I'm gonna keep using them.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Coin Elite for many years. It works really well.

Larry

• Options
    edited June 10, 2018 8:49AM

@ricko said:
    Years ago (about 12) I purchased a coin software package.... Looked at it and decided it was going to be too much work to populate.... so never did anything with it. By the way, Excel is a good system and it will take pictures also. Meanwhile, my inventory is all mental.... and sometimes I get a surprise... :D Cheers, RickO

So I end up getting coin manage delux which allows coins from many countries. The price was right. I do realize it will take many hours to do this, yesterday I ended up logging 80 coins and its going to take months to do this. But it actually was fun, my dog was mad but its all part of the collecting process right.

I really wanted to get one that will cover ALL coins, Daniel Carr coins included. This will alloy you to put in your realized price but that will take much time when I get to them. I also have to retake a good quality picture for each coin for this. When this is done it should be a nice electronic collection. I can also put this on 3 computers and I have been making back-ups as I go. We all know how a computer can die.

@Kkathyl said:
    PCGS set registry for all us and any coins the have ever graded. I also created a log for my children. I update the later once a year.

I forgot I have that option I really wanted one for all the Daniel Carr coins and any odd tokens and civil war coins too. I just got 8 old English tokens and this program includes them we will see when I get to them. I might try them today. But the log is a good idea I just wanted one that will compile into a more complex data base. I use excel at work along with Autocad based programs. There all great. Thank you for sharing

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used Coin Elite for years.
    I like it, it does the functions I need.
    Looking at the screen shot of Coin Manage looks interesting. Almost has an "Explorer" feel to it.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photoshop

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

I use Exact Change and I really like it. http://www.exactchange.info/

• Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

My dad is a programmer, so I asked him to write something specifically for my needs. I’m able to use my barcode scanner to scan the holder and it automatically puts the coin info my list. Works great for what I need.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using Excel since the 1990s. It's essentially infinitely customizable, I think you may now be able to embed images directly and you can definitely hyperlink images to every listing if you desire.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB.... Yes, pictures can be added or linked... My wife teaches college courses on Excel, Access, Word etc...
    And she says Excel is completely customizable and can be adapted to any type or types of collections. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

As many here have already said, I use Excel. I have done 100s of Excel sheets for data, so for me it was an obvious for coin collection data as well.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry/inventory is all I need.

• Options

You all are Awesome! I am also going to try the Exact Change it looks very interesting.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have coin collecting software for my computer. It was time consuming and awkward to input everything and when the computer crashed I stopped using it. I hated being unable to link the content to a smartphone. I now use Numbers, which works perfectly for me. I have 24/7 access to everything from a smartphone or tablet.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

I use an XLS spreadsheet along with archived photographs.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BAYOUBENGALBAYOUBENGAL Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, I am terrible at excel so am glad to pay for an easier product..

BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excel works great for me plus the PCGS Registry.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MACGE1 said:
    My dad is a programmer, so I asked him to write something specifically for my needs. I’m able to use my barcode scanner to scan the holder and it automatically puts the coin info my list. Works great for what I need.

Very cool! Does it work on all TPG slabs?

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo I would check and see if you can import and excel template. If you get all the proper fields and stuff, with your background, it might speed thing up. Glad to see you found a solution, keep us updated on this thread of your progress.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2018 9:42AM

Cotton gloves.

For keeping track of data I use Oracle and DTS.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

After being burnt with losing all my years and years of info on my coin collection I started using Excel. It's amazing as to what you can do with it. I used it at work for 10 or so years and never really learned what all it can do(still don't know all). The nice thing about it, you can use the comment function to store your photos, info, dates, customers and only be limited with the number of columns you select. Here is a sample of mine for Buffalo Nickels. Remember your comment pics and/or info show with a mouseover.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Excel spreadsheet . Updated with each purchase. With pictures for insurance purposes. So easy even a numismatist can do it.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excel ss, Pcgs inventory mgr

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin Elite is excellent, I had a problem, called them and they graciously walked me thru it.
    Great folks there

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Coin Elite for years and it does everything I need.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

My little red record book.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair @LanLord @Jcld @Treashunt

Exact Change looks pretty nice actually. Very customizable and non-US coin friendly too. Plus a lot of very nice features that go beyond a simple database or spreadsheet. Oh, and can use on a Mac.

Do you all find it easy to work with, and would there be any concerns if the program were to stop being supported?

I mean, if I were to start an Excel one (ouch, especially considering all the features in Exact Change) at least I could sleep knowing it would likely not go obsolete. I'd hate to use it for a decade and then have it become obsolete enough I couldn't even open the file...

Neat how it can add the KM#s, already knows the bullion content, and can do the 2x2 inserts so easily (at least going by the video). Even better, it has the entire world coinage there to add too.

I'm very much debating Exact Change, or biting the bullet and finally learning how to do something in Excel vs. online like AirTable--but online ugh).

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 10:29AM

Excel w/pictures using hyperlinks...

• Options
    edited June 13, 2018 6:47AM

So I ended up buying both Coin Manage and Exact Change and, as I retake pictures of my inventory I will be inputting into both. So far on my extra time I have managed to catalog about 100 coins into both. But a lot of these were repeat's.

If I were to judge on both I would say its way to early. I do like exact change on its easy to use system. Very colorful and has some neat coin displays. Thank you for all the great input. I always knew Excel is a powerful program but never really learned it. Even though I use it daily at work I am guessing I only use about 10% of its potential.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google Docs spreadsheet. Anywhere I have access to my google account I have access to my coin list and it doesn't cost anything.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 7:22AM

@ChrisH821 said:
    Google Docs spreadsheet. Anywhere I have access to my google account I have access to my coin list and it doesn't cost anything.

Dumb questions for those who are borderline Luddites--when setting it up, how do you add photos that don't obscure everything, can you add a photo as a thumbnail and have it open up to a full size, can you generate a more visually pleasing 'report' type page?

Better yet (as all I've done so far is open up Google Docs and start playing with it) do you recommend an easy 'how to' link for learning these things?

And finally, just because I'm in a sharing mode--I'm angsting between an online access thing like Google docs or Airtable vs. only on my own laptop (because who needs all that info about coin collecting bouncing around a cloud account?).

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Dumb questions for those who are borderline Luddites--when setting it up, how do you add photos that don't obscure everything, can you add a photo as a thumbnail and have it open up to a full size, can you generate a more visually pleasing 'report' type page?

Better yet (as all I've done so far is open up Google Docs and start playing with it) do you recommend an easy 'how to' link for learning these things?

And finally, just because I'm in a sharing mode--I'm angsting between an online access thing like Google docs or Airtable vs. only on my own laptop (because who needs all that info about coin collecting bouncing around a cloud account?).

First of all I'd like to acknowledge all the great contributions to this thread. What I am learning is that as we all may have different levels of competence with computer skills, and photography skills, etc. there are many options. I will only comment on the google docs spreadsheet and why I use it.
    I started tracking my collection in Excel and found it to be very customizable and suited my needs perfectly. Photography is something I am not skilled at BTW.... so most of my coin's glamour shots are downloaded from ebay or were taken with my cellphone and a loupe held over the lens- so not a real requirement for me to have them synced to my spreadsheet. (I can do that in the PCGS inventory if need be.) After I started carrying a smart phone with me constantly and having to use Google docs at work I started to use Gdocs instead. It waa very simple for me to transition- copy and paste if I recall correctly-
    What I like about Gdocs is that now when at a show, I no longer need to have printed sheets of my Excel spreadsheets because my phone will access the Gdocs for me. If I'm at work and it's slow and I'm checking out Ebay I can access my Gdoc. I'm sure if I was more techie it may be possible to access an Excel document on my cell phone also? As far as sharing.... I don't have my Gdoc shared with anyone, but you do bring up a valid concern about having it "in the cloud".

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

@ChrisH821 said:

I haven't tried putting photos in yet, right now it's just a list that I can order/filter however I want.

When you are in google docs, click the little menu icon and select Sheets to get to the spreadsheet part.

One thing I'm not sure that I like is that it saves as you are working, rather than having a save button.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'cloud' can be a dangerous place , JMO

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 10:11AM

PS
    Great thread question @Gluggo
    It is nice to learn about programs/software that others are using. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo - I know this thread is old, but did you ever decide on which program to use? I'm currently looking at the demo versions of Coin Elite, CoinManage Deluxe and will be trying Exact Change also. The issue I have with Coin Elite is that I seem to be able to only upload 2 pics of each coin (obv and rev). And, similarly with CoinManage, only 4 pics. I was thinking that, for some coins, I'd want: Obverse, Reverse, Obv of full slab, Rev of full slab, and multiple ultra closeup images of defining marks/VAM indicators/doubling/die cracks, etc. I read that CoinManage was going to upgrade to allow 16 images per coin, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the 2019 demo version. I haven't looked into Exact Change, yet, but read somewhere that you can add more images. What were your conclusions of the various programs?

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options

So coin manage is what I stuck with. But I am way behind on logging my coins/tokens. I was buying so much was not able to keep up. One day when I stop buying I will try and finish logging in the coins. One thing I do is always snap a shot on the camera stand I bought. Love how easy it is on most coins. Bought it from Ray who sells the complete photo set up. But it’s a lot of work to stay on top of it all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file