Home U.S. Coin Forum

A “new” variety of the 1796 quarter dollar

dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Well, perhaps not new. This was found today on auction.ru and the seller,
a resident of Novosibirsk, is asking one million roubles ($19,000). Is this a
known Chinese counterfeit or something new?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Well... first of all, I would not even consider it from such a source... I am sure some of our experts will chime in shortly...but that coin screams fake to me.... Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks more like a dollar than a quarter.

1796 Quarter. There are two minor die varieties.

1796 Bust Dollar

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is a dollar.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Yes, it is a dollar.

The seller labelled it a quarter dollar and it was posted accordingly. It
    obviously did not match the 1796 dies for this denomination. Is this
    a known dollar counterfeit?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing in the pictures that would make me think it is a counterfeit. Probably just stolen pictures from some other auction.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably found it in his grandmothers sock drawer. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file