Home U.S. Coin Forum

1844 Braided Hair Large Head -Over Punched Date?

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 9, 2018 2:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am pooking at the first digit south west of the 8. Looks to be another 8! I am not to sure where to start looking this up as the onlt thing that really came up is the well known variety.I'm this is cleaned. I also did not clean this coin for anyone wondering.

Comments

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Self bump

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eye c sumthin there! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely repunched, one of the experts on the late dates can tell us which N- variety it is.
    Nice find, and pretty good close up photography.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good pictures and I believe it has been re-punched....the residues around the numbers look like either old cleaning or some kind of grunge from handling/environment. Cheers, RickO

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2018 10:19AM

That coin appears to be an 1844 N-3. While this is not an uncommon coin, the reverse appears uncracked, and therefore the coin appears to be an extremely rare die state. I would suggest getting this coin evaluated by a large cent expert and/or adding detailed photos and/or examination of the reverse to confirm no die cracks are present.

From Grellman:

Rarity 2 (not so common)

Die States:
    a. Reverse uncracked (Extremely Rare)
    b. Repunching at 18 strong. Reverse cracked NTIED, wreat, OF, ME, RICA.
    c. Repunching at 18 visible. Tiny rim breaks stars 7-9. Cracked through top of STATE.
    d. Repunching at 18 gone.
    e. Large rim break star 9 down nearly to star 11. (Rare)

Hope this helps...>Mike

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye and great find.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

----- kj

@MikeInFL said:
    That coin appears to be an 1844 N-3. While this is not an uncommon coin, the reverse appears uncracked, and therefore the coin appears to be an extremely rare die state. I would suggest getting this coin evaluated by a large cent expert and/or adding detailed photos and/or examination of the reverse to confirm no die cracks are present.

From Grellman:

Rarity 2 (not so common)

Die States:
    a. Reverse uncracked (Extremely Rare)
    b. Repunching at 18 strong. Reverse cracked NTIED, wreat, OF, ME, RICA.
    c. Repunching at 18 visible. Tiny rim breaks stars 7-9. Cracked through top of STATE.
    d. Repunching at 18 gone.
    e. Large rim break star 9 down nearly to star 11. (Rare)

Hope this helps...>Mike

Helps a ton. Thank you very much. I will get it back out and check out the reverse. I had a problem actually finding info on the newcomb varietys and such for this year as I am by no means familiar with large cents. Thank you for all the info! I will come back with a update of reverse and post pics to confirm what I see. Thank you every one else for the help as well! I try to nab qaulity pics but all I am using is a jewlers loupe and my phone!

So would this be the second stage? (B) not a uncracked reverse sadly...

3 die cracks found. Very easily mossed without the loupe.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might not be the uncracked variety... but still a nice variety find!

----- kj
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

It does appear to be the more common cracked reverse, albeit an early version of it with the cracks just starting to appear.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

@MikeInFL said:
    It does appear to be the more common cracked reverse, albeit an early version of it with the cracks just starting to appear.

I grabbed this back out today going through some large cents. I noticed more anomalies coming from the rim and under the date. I need to grab better pics but would this also be a miss placed date? Or just wear from the die

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file