Home U.S. Coin Forum

I have a 1984 P Dime ... Looks Weird. It looks doubled in the back of the head?? Error ??

Just wanna know if this is normal or if its something rare i should save ?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.
    Might be a heavily abraded/worn die or clash marks. Although I don't think the areas line up with typical Roosie clashings.
    I would save it.
    Kind of cool.

• @mannie gray said:
    Interesting.
    Might be a heavily abraded/worn die or clash marks. Although I don't think the areas line up with typical Roosie clashings.
    I would save it.
    Kind of cool.

I thought maybe a clash of some sort but never seen a dime like this is my 3 months of collecting so I thought it was interesting

It's at least worth a second look.
    Maybe @DIMEMAN or @onlyroosies or someone with more in depth knowledge of the series than I have will chime in with a better answer.
    Nice eye to pull that one, @Tiamarielacore253 .
    You'll find something great with that kind of an eye. :)

After looking at it some more, I don't think it's clashing.
    Probably a stressed/really worn and/or slightly damaged die.......that's my guess.
    Maybe @FredWeinberg will tell us what is going on here.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2018 5:02PM

Great photos.
    Interesting how it shows up under the chin, and between the head and the mint mark P.
    With a low border around the raised areas.

It might possibly be something added after the coin left the mint, like solder or glue.
    But the color and surface abrasions seem similar to the rest of the coin.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Interesting.
    I would save it.
    Kind of cool.

I agree with this and would not bother saving it myself.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2018 6:06PM

@mannie gray said:
    Interesting.
    I would save it.
    Kind of cool.

I agree.

I am guessing an extremely worn die that is so severe I'd keep it just for fun.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't get rid of it until I knew for sure what it is.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it to cac, if it gets a green sticker probably worth $10k, no sticker worth 10 cents. Worth a try. lol.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one fine pair of eyes you have for one involved in the hobby for 3 months. Very interesting coin. I would keep it just for being your first anomaly find. With your eyes it will just be one of many. Welcome Tiamarie…. to the forum and you will find great knowledge here if you are willing to bear up under the pressure some times put forth. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2018 10:33PM

Good eye but no just a dime, keep up the good work and keep looking you never know what may pop up.

Welcome to the board.

Hoard the keys.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Good eye but no just a dime, keep up the good work and keep looking you never know what may pop up.

Welcome to the board.

I was going to disagree with you but changed my mind - I'll write instead.

This post is IMHO one of the reasons for this board. A new collector, a substantially interesting artifact that does appear to be mint generated, and a new member who shows serious curiosity.

No bowtie fantastics or arguing about "can't you see this one molecule is out of place" crap.

I know that @Type2 can get a little cranky when it's past his supper, but I hope that the OP continues to participate and put genuinely interesting material up for review.

• @blitzdude said:
    Send it to cac, if it gets a green sticker probably worth $10k, no sticker worth 10 cents. Worth a try. lol.

What's cac?

• @ms70 said:
    I wouldn't get rid of it until I knew for sure what it is.

How can I make sure

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hair shows damage and possible pressure on the coin after it left the mint. Can you show a photo of the reverse?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tiamarielacore253...Welcome aboard. Yes, you do have an anomaly there, likely a worn die.... It is interesting, but no significant numismatic value. CAC is Certified Acceptance Corporation... and that comment was made in jest. Coins sent to CAC are slabbed coins that receive a second evaluation for grade accuracy. Your coin is not worth sending to a TPG though. It is a nice anomaly, and most of us would keep it in our 'education' file. Cheers, RickO

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:

Welcome to the board.

Looks like a worn die that is starting to cavitate (erode) from overuse. the 1980's were not kind to Dime production, with a lot of sloppy work and overuse of an already terminal die.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    the 1980's were not kind to Dime production, with a lot of sloppy work and overuse of an already terminal die.

Pete

Same for nickels from the early 80s. I was so used to the "Orange peel" effect in the early 80s that I never bothered to save one. I found one in change recently and kept it. It is a very extreme look, sort of like this dime.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2018 10:45AM

It's massive die erosion. Here's a 1989-P I posted here a while back. I sent this to John Wexler and that's what he attributed it as, and said the raised areas are called 'blebs'. Note the area around 'RIB'.:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess the severely worn die theory as the cause. The second lower photo shows 'flow lines' in the area above the date which I would think would support that theory. I would keep the coin since it is a good example; but agree it is not worth sending in to any service.

----- kj
  • IgnorantVirtuosoIgnorantVirtuoso Posts: 1
    edited December 13, 2018 7:14PM

For that coin you sent cmerlo,

I know this is kind of old and i hate to question the examination done by someone like john wexler, but i think those 2 marks on the back by the N of num is the mark left from a staple. I would bet if you examine the coin closely that there will be a few spots that resemble what looks like bent metal on the coin. I wonder if you flip the reverse image verticlly, then horizontally, there will be the marks im describing on the coin, so around the area underneath the TE of united. Might also look like the back of a piece of paper that has been stapled. Or its just blebs, and those spots in the circles on the left arent the bottom of the torch and the tip of the flames, and the one on the right isnt a small piece of leaf from the leaf closet to the torch.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IgnorantVirtuoso Welcome to the PCGS forums! Have fun and enjoy the hobby.

Looks like the OP’s question was answered about six months earlier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file