Home U.S. Coin Forum

NEWP 1860 Indian Head , CAC?

Latest acquisition and first PCGS Gold Shield , originally intended for my Dansco Type Set… But once in hand I think I like it in the slab. Anyone think it should get a “Green Bean” ? BTW how would an average joe like me submit a coin to CAC?

@asheland said:
My friend a fellow forum member got this coin yesterday. We were both wondering everybody's opinions about the coin.
I saw the coin in person yesterday and it has really nice luster in my opinion...
Also guess the grade if you care to.
Don't cheat :D

Tagged:

Comments

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

The True View shows nice detail but I can really see the luster on the coin with the pictures in the slab.

Of coarse, I love MS Indian Heads, but it if I where building a date run, I would be tempted to build it in AU 58 like you have here. They look so nice, classic and appealing in that grade...

As far as CAC, ask a dealer you like to work with to piggy back on one of their upcoming submissions if you only have a few now and then...

Congrats on the new coin and hope it kicks off a fun adventure for you.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I was a pretty good guesser - after seeing MS64 grades being posted, I figured I was in for ridicule for posting 58.
    BTW I love it as a 58, and yes these additional photos make the coin look even nicer!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an AU-58, I can see no reason why this piece would not get a CAC sticker. Since I called it MS-64, I guess it should get a gold sticker. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jalexfoster....Welcome aboard....Nice IHC.... Not sure if it will get a CAC sticker.... Although late to the game (grade shown), I did think it was an AU... Let us know if you send it in for a sticker... Cheers, RickO

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok so I’m a big CAC supporter and I just would NOT send that coin in. You’re talking about adding 10% or more to the cost and I don’t see how that makes sense

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Ok so I’m a big CAC supporter and I just would NOT send that coin in. You’re talking about adding 10% or more to the cost and I don’t see how that makes sense

TDN makes a good point here. The coin lists for $275 on "Coin Facts" as an AU-58. After you get done paying for CAC and postage both ways, you are looking at more than 10% of $275. The only way CAC makes economic sense is if it gets a gold sticker.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good pictures!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above posts. Nice ihc I think would sticker at 58 but would it make economic sense?

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could save yourself the extra hassle and sell it to me for $225.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file